Rumor: Dead Rising 3 Details

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Dead Rising 3 will be set in California, star an auto mechanic called Rick, and tackle the subject of illegal immigration.

At least according to the hard-nosed journo-types at Siliconera, who got the information, as well as what's supposed to be concept art of central protagonist Rick, from an anonymous source. I'd be tempted to believe them, they've covered virtual wars, you know.

According to the report, Dead Rising 3 will be set in the town of Los Perdidos (Literally: "The Lost," subtle) a fictional town in California. Following the obligatory zombie outbreak caused by Dead Rising 2 antagonists Pehnotrans, orphan, and auto mechanic, Rick, along with the usual collection of scarcely cognizant survivors, have to restore an aircraft and escape the town before it's destroyed by a bomb. Dead Rising 2: Case West antagonist Marian Mallon makes a return, alongside a new villain named - and this sounds so like Capcom - General Hemlock.

The illegal immigration angle comes from the story's focus on a group of "illegals," people infected with the virus and presumably dependant on Zombrex to keep it under control, who aren't registered with the government. That actually sounds rather interesting. Zombie fiction is known for its unsubtle social commentary, but this is Capcom we're talking about. If the game does tackle the theme of illegal immigration, I imagine it'll do so in the same way the original Dead Rising explored the complex ethical quandaries of photojounalism. [http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/Image/dead_rising_erotica.jpg]

What do we think, folks? Does this sound legit? Any bets on how long it takes for Capcom to give up on Rick and just throw Frank West in there instead?

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/08/dead-rising-3-is-set-in-california-and-the-protagonist-is-an-auto-mechanic/]

macacos2

Apr 2, 2010
I heard somewhere that the guy who was behind "Dead Rising 1" and "Dead Rising 2" didn't really want to do make the sequel to begin with. Which would make sense and explain why "DR2:Off the record" was released and considered a "Director's cut" version of DR2.

So yeah, I really doubt a new one is coming out. Specially when it sounds like it is going to poke fun at illegal immigration in a latino-like city. What else could they possibly add to these series other than story elements? Few people care about those, specially Dead Rising fans.

Of course, I could have completely invented all of this on the spot; since I don't really know where did I get that "the maker didn't want to do it then, he won't do it now" story from.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Umm... "Dead Island 3"? Type much?

OT: Yeah, I could definitely go for a game that talks about Illegal immigration through the medium of zombies. That sounds cool.

(Granted, I should probably play Dead Rising 2 first...)

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I am interested. I hope that it is true, if not, I hope the next one has another new protagonist.
Grey Carter said:

According to the report, Dead Island 3

I think you miss typed, unless Capcom bought the rights to Dead Island also, and are skipping the second one.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
A game tackling a hard issue like illegal immigration? Sweet!
CAPCOM writing a game that tackles a hard issue? Recipe for disaster! (Yes, I still remember Resident Evil 5).

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
natster43 said:
I am interested. I hope that it is true, if not, I hope the next one has another new protagonist.
Grey Carter said:

According to the report, Dead Island 3

I think you miss typed, unless Capcom bought the rights to Dead Island also, and are skipping the second one.
Every fucking time that happens, I hate that game so much.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
macacos2 said:
I heard somewhere that the guy who was behind "Dead Rising 1" and "Dead Rising 2" didn't really want to do make the sequel to begin with. Which would make sense and explain why "DR2:Off the record" was released and considered a "Director's cut" version of DR2.

So yeah, I really doubt a new one is coming out. Specially when it sounds like it is going to poke fun at illegal immigration in a latino-like city. What else could they possibly add to these series other than story elements? Few people care about those, specially Dead Rising fans.

Of course, I could have completely invented all of this on the spot; since I don't really know where did I get that "the maker didn't want to do it then, he won't do it now" story from.
I'd be incredibly surprised if a new one DIDN'T come out. Dead Rising is one of Capcom's biggest IPs at the moment, and the ending to Case West was really just a giant hook for DR3. DR2:OtR was a non-canon game meant to be more silly from the way I understood it. And it changed virtually nothing. I think it added one or two psychos, one of which is just a reskin from 2 as a more... important character. The story seems mostly the same with a few key differences that don't seem to matter so far. Of course I'm not done with it quite yet.

Mcoffey said:
So wait, I thought Off the Record was non-canon? Why are they including the bad guy from that? Are they using that version of 2 instead of the regular 2?

Pretty soon this series is gonna need a continuity flow-chart.
Phenotrans are just the general antagonist for the series now it seems. As for the Case West part, you might be confused. Case West was a shorter standalone released, if I remember correctly, only for XBLA. It continued the story of DR2, just like Case Zero was a prequel. Off The Record was full game that was basically just Dead Rising 2 with Frank taking over Chuck's role and a few minor differences to make up for that fact.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Mcoffey said:
So wait, I thought Off the Record was non-canon? Why are they including the bad guy from that? Are they using that version of 2 instead of the regular 2?

Pretty soon this series is gonna need a continuity flow-chart.
No, they are including the antagonist from Case West, the downloadable game that serves as the epilog to Dead Rising 2, where Chuck and Frank team up and go into a Phenotrans compound. It is after the Canon Ending to Dead Rising 2, Ending A.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well, I'm sure Capcom will handle this issue respectfully and with the amount of care it- Pfft! Ok ok, i couldn't even finish typing that with a straight face! Unless, miraculously, they actually got Hideo Kojima or someone who can write then they should just stick to doing things with the same level of Camp as they always do.

Although, knowing Modern capcom, you'll have to buy the other half of the game in DLC or something...

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
even if this is true everyone will just complain that frank west isnt in it.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
So we get to play as David Hasselhoff? Alright.

Hopefully the time to build the plane is longer than a few days.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
and here i was thinking that the game was going to be set in a Amusement park

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
This...sounds a lot like Resident Evil, if this rumor turns out to be true: "A place infested by zombies is about to be nuked in order to contain the plague. But a few survivors fight their way out of the city. This is their story".

Come on, Capcom. You know I hate you after what you did to Megaman, but you can't be this weak-- no wait. I think I just made my point.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Following the obligatory zombie outbreak caused by Dead Rising 2 antagonists Pehnotrans, orphan and auto mechanic Rick, along with the usual collection of scarcely cognizant survivors, have to restore an aircraft and escape the town before it's destroyed by a bomb.
I'm not sure I want to know what an orphan mechanic actually is.

Yeah, this looks interesting, but personally I don't think you can beat the photo elements from the original and off the record. They added a whole new dimension to gameplay.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Aww man, I thought it would be a return to form and star Frank in there instead (And Chuck too, I suppose.).

I mean, Case West was so foreshadowing Frank and Chuck taking on Phenotrans.
Well, as long as they make sizeable appearances in the story, I'll be happy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
macacos2 said:
So yeah, I really doubt a new one is coming out.
There's already been some hype via the official facebook.

Doesn't mean these guys are right, but it's hard to think there isn't another DR coming.

Also, immigrant zombies eat the brains Americans won't!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
That sounds like a pretty interesting premise for Dead Rising 3. Does anyone else think the character in the picture looks a bit like Bruce Campbell?