Rumor: Fast & Furious Franchise to End in Multi-Movie Finale

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Fast & Furious Franchise to End in Multi-Movie Finale

Do all roads lead to a two-film epic climax?

Despite the major hype for Paul Walker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138344-The-First-Trailer-For-Fast-And-Furious-7-Is-Incredible] last year cast a pall over the production of the upcoming seventh installment.

Now, Deadline is James Wan. [http://deadline.com/2014/11/fast-and-furious-sequels-justin-lin-universal-1201282337/]) Further, Deadline's reporter claims to have heard that the hope is for Lin to direct a (presumably) huge-scale ending for the series' characters and their story, which would be shot concurrently and spread across multiple sequels.

If true, this would make Fast the latest big-budget franchise to take up the multi-part production model popularized by the Lord of The Rings and Hobbit trilogies: Warner Bros has tapped Zack Snyder for a across Avengers 3 & 4. [http://collider.com/zack-snyder-justice-league-movies/]

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://deadline.com/2014/11/fast-and-furious-sequels-justin-lin-universal-1201282337/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
MovieBob said:
If true, this would make Fast the latest big-budget franchise to take up the multi-part production model popularized by the Lord of The Rings and Hobbit trilogies
You mean the Harry Potter Series.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Shocksplicer said:
MovieBob said:
If true, this would make Fast the latest big-budget franchise to take up the multi-part production model popularized by the Lord of The Rings and Hobbit trilogies
Could go even further back to the Matrix movies too.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Sanunes said:
Shocksplicer said:
MovieBob said:
Jurassic Park is where it's at.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
NickBrahz said:
Sanunes said:
Shocksplicer said:
MovieBob said:
Jurassic Park is where it's at.
Oh, you young'ins...

I'm sure there's an example earlier than this, even.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
But are we going to get a Fast Cars and Where to Find Them movie?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I heard it's going to be an epic trilogy based on the Rock's character accidentally putting diesel in his petrol racing Lambourgini.

The first movie focuses on the accident itself - driving up to the gas station, working out whether the pump is pre-pay or pay at kiosk (I won't spoil it for you) putting the wrong fuel in, not realising until he drives off and the car stalls. Ends on a cliffhanger of phoning up the breakdown company (kinda like the phonecall at the end of the Matrix movie)

The second installment is him waiting for the breakdown truck to come, getting hassled by flyboys who have to drive around him, going to the shop to get a muffin and coffee while he waits, phoning up the other characters to say he'll be late for the game and getting advice from them all over what to do (which conflicts and just causes more problems.) In the end the breakdown truck arrives, but the end twist is that it's driven by an old rival from one of the previous movies.

The final thrilling installment is the trip to the garage to get the diesel pumped out, and the argument with the mechanic over the bill, with the final scene being the insurance courtesy car pulling up to the garage... a Nissan Leaf.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
I heard it's going to be an epic trilogy based on the Rock's character accidentally putting diesel in his petrol racing Lambourgini.

The first movie focuses on the accident itself - driving up to the gas station, working out whether the pump is pre-pay or pay at kiosk (I won't spoil it for you) putting the wrong fuel in, not realising until he drives off and the car stalls. Ends on a cliffhanger of phoning up the breakdown company (kinda like the phonecall at the end of the Matrix movie)

The second installment is him waiting for the breakdown truck to come, getting hassled by flyboys who have to drive around him, going to the shop to get a muffin and coffee while he waits, phoning up the other characters to say he'll be late for the game and getting advice from them all over what to do (which conflicts and just causes more problems.) In the end the breakdown truck arrives, but the end twist is that it's driven by an old rival from one of the previous movies.

The final thrilling installment is the trip to the garage to get the diesel pumped out, and the argument with the mechanic over the bill, with the final scene being the insurance courtesy car pulling up to the garage... a Nissan Leaf.
I would so watching this....

Also, the part i have bolded, i thought u meant Vin Diesel :') long day!

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
KazeAizen said:
.....can't tell if joking or serious.
Last time i checked Star Wars was multi-movie and was before Back to the Future, unless they changed the past that is.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
NickBrahz said:
KazeAizen said:
Last time i checked Star Wars was multi-movie and was before Back to the Future, unless they changed the past that is.
Oh so serious. That's not what they are talking about and people should know that. They said "multi-film finale" as in two separate movies that tell one piece of a story that function as a whole movie when viewed together. i.e. The Hobbit, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Hunger Games: Mockingjay, and soon The Avengers Infinity War.

So yeah it is completely different then both of those.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
If the cars start talking, this is going to become the Team Knight Rider sequel I was hoping for.

(Also, the captcha: neckbeard, did not know this forum software was so offensive to the razorblade challenged)

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
MovieBob said:
KazeAizen said:
NickBrahz said:
KazeAizen said:
Oh so serious. That's not what they are talking about and people should know that. They said "multi-film finale" as in two separate movies that tell one piece of a story that function as a whole movie when viewed together. i.e. The Hobbit, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Hunger Games: Mockingjay, and soon The Avengers Infinity War.

So yeah it is completely different then both of those.
Pretty much. Neither of the above examples (LOTR and Hobbit trilogies) are relevant, since they were made as trilogies (i.e. the narrative was designed as a classical three-act structure that spans three movies but also holds to a three-act structure within each film) - and, more notably, don't have "Part 1" or "Part 2" at the end of their titles.

The examples you gave are hence much better ones. Fast and Furious hasn't got a particularly seamless narrative across its existing movies, in any case.