Rumor: GameStop to Sell Steam Vouchers

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Rumor: GameStop to Sell Steam Vouchers

GameStop has finally given in to Valve's digital market dominance.

As reported by Kotaku, [http://kotaku.com/5909109/gamestop-admits-defeat-starts-selling-steam-vouchers] a source inside GameStop claims that the retail chain will start selling Steam vouchers on May 15th. Also, it's apparently "kind of a sensitive issue," so don't laugh or anything.

The vouchers themselves seem no different from the virtual currency cards offered for Xbox Live, PSN, etc. But there is one key difference. GameStop isn't in direct competition with PSN or Xbox Live. It is in direct competition with Steam.

GameStop made a spirited attempt to break into the digital distribution business back in July, 2011, when it bought out Stardock's Impulse distribution system. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108904-GameStop-Buys-Impulse-Further-Invests-in-Digital-Distribution] Impulse was never that big of a player, however, and even combined with GameStop's existing online store, the service has failed to make a dent in the market.

The vouchers, if they're not a hoax, seem to indicate that rather than taking a slice out of Steam's pie, GameStop seems intent to just nibble the crust a little bit, and maybe steal the cherry.

Smeagol150

Emperor of the Moon
Oct 20, 2008
Interesting, but I'm more content to connect my bank account directly to Valve, so my money can be siphoned directly instead of this driving to a store business.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
sounds good instead of trying to steal the money they'll just skim a bit off the top

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
That's actually pretty cool. I have some friends who can't buy games on steam due to the simple fact they don't have credit cards. (their reasons vary) If this turns out to be true they can finally join in the fun outside of their f2p games library.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Now all that needs to happen is EA and Valve to make friends and everything would be right with the world. As much as some people dislike the idea one a single company having market dominance, I would only be worried if that company was a public/shareholder based company. Since Valves private, and based on well..how they have done everything so far, it would be absolutely amazing to have that sort of diversity and spread.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
After a certain fiasco I had with my parents, a Visa card, and a whole lotta Steam sales, I'd be a happy camper if this turns out to be true.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I hope this is true and it becomes a world wide thing but it seems a bit fishy to me. We haven't heard anything about this before except Reddit suddenly exploding with posts talking about how this would be a great idea in the past week or so. Loads of people have mocked up their own versions on there. Also, why does it say Kotaku on that thing?

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Doom-Slayer said:
Now all that needs to happen is EA and Valve to make friends and everything would be right with the world. As much as some people dislike the idea one a single company having market dominance, I would only be worried if that company was a public/shareholder based company. Since Valves private, and based on well..how they have done everything so far, it would be absolutely amazing to have that sort of diversity and spread.
you have to remember though valve has always had to remain competitive to retail so people don't jump ship back again but when retail goes would it still be the same if they had no competitors.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
WHY wasnt this done sooner? seems like a no brainer

up untill recently I had no access to anything online..know how frustrating that is?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Great news for those who don't have credit cards or PayPal or any of the other payment services Steam offers. Still I am willing to bet that there's a lot who doesn't feel like leaving their house in order to get a game through digital distribution. Some of us rather stay home and not meet anyone...

Now if GameStop could arrange Steam to get hacked and have credit card information compromised then this would turn into a huge success in no time.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Why don't people own debit cards? I've had one for years now, so unless we're talking super-young gamers here, what's the big deal?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If this turns out to be true it will be pretty awesome. I must admit I am surprised Steam hasn't made cash cards yet.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Why don't people own debit cards? I've had one for years now, so unless we're talking super-young gamers here, what's the big deal?
People don't own debit cards because they are "super-young gamers" (under 18)

And most gamers are teens so I think this would help a lot of people who have no other way of getting money on steam.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Fredrikorex said:
TheBobmus said:

And most gamers are teens so I think this would help a lot of people who have no other way of getting money on steam.
Had a debit card for several years - only 18 myself...
Again why I question this, as you can get one from around the age of 11.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
TheBobmus said:
Fredrikorex said:
TheBobmus said:

Not where I live my friend, not where I live :(

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Fredrikorex said:
TheBobmus said:
Fredrikorex said:
TheBobmus said:

Not where I live my friend, not where I live :(
Hey you live in Sweden according to your profile? You can get one from age 6!
'School Card is a bankcard for children aged 6 to 12. It is affordable, secure and comes with a limit determined by you.' - Swedebank

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
TheBobmus said:
'School Card is a bankcard for children aged 6 to 12. It is affordable, secure and comes with a limit determined by you.' - Swedebank
That's a bankcard not a debit card, it doesn't work with steam and other online payments.

That's what I think anyway, it would seem stupid to let a six year old kid buy stuff online.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Fredrikorex said:
TheBobmus said:
That's a bankcard not a debit card, it doesn't work with steam and other online payments.

That's what I think anyway, it would seem stupid to let a six year old kid buy stuff online.
The picture next to it comes with a credit chip and what looks like a VISA logo. But yeah, younger than 12 seems dumb to me - hence my reference to 'super-young gamers'.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Please be real, please be real, etc. Me and a friend were dicussing this earlier today. Steam should prepare itself for lots more money coming in.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
To be fair to impulse, I just checked it out and it's not really that bad. Origin has crud all games and not decently priced at that, Impulse had a selection and just browsing I nearly picked up King Arthur 2, From Dust and a ridiculously good Napoleon/Empire bundle.

Even the interface is better...

but Steam is still the best. It's hard, I don't want Steam to win outright but they're the only people playing at the moment