Rumor: GameStop to Sell Steam Vouchers

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
That would be pretty nifty, as presents to friends so I can just buy them a voucher instead of trying to think of a game on steam they want.

Do hope it's available here though on my local gamestop, cause Riot point cards are not available in my local gamestop. :p

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
TheBobmus said:
Why don't people own debit cards? I've had one for years now, so unless we're talking super-young gamers here, what's the big deal?
Like you said it benefits younger. Anyone under 16 cannot have a debit card in my country as far I know meaning using steam to buy games can be problematic.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Why don't people own debit cards? I've had one for years now, so unless we're talking super-young gamers here, what's the big deal?
I dislike placing my financial information online. It's just convenient. There's a GameStop right across the street from where I work, so this could work out nicely.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, Gamestop put itself in direct competition with Steam by massively reducing their stock of PC games, not by startting a digital download service. I have friends till this day who prefer to buy a boxed PC game, but Gamestop basically quit selling them. I guess it's because they couldn't take trade ins on them. Now, all my friends just go through Amazon for boxed games. So they are kind of more in competition with Amazon from that perspective since Amazon sells everything they do, at usually better prices.

Also, the idea that their service is competitive with Steam... well that is only true in the absolute strictest sense of the word. In the not so strict sense they would have had to take market share from Steam, which they never did. Or at least be in danger of taking market share from Steam, which they never were.

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Sweet. I wouldn't mind this at all. I'm still trying to get into pc gaming, so I think this would really help. I don't know when I'll have a debit card, so these would be super convenient.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Retail gift cards that add to your steam wallet sound like a great idea. If this is for real I'll have to let my family know that this is a gift option that I would welcome.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Can't we just let retail stores die already? Nothing but money-hungry middlemen, bent on scrapping as much money as humanly possible from you without actually performing a service.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
You can buy cards that are pre-loaded with money from every post-office and they can be used like a debit/credit card online or in any store in the country.

Basically... this is useless.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
You can buy cards that are pre-loaded with money from every post-office and they can be used like a debit/credit card online or in any store in the country.

It doesn't work that way in every country, every nation does not follow the same set of rules on this sort of thing despite what the EU might like you to believe.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Zipa said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

It doesn't work that way in every country, every nation does not follow the same set of rules on this sort of thing despite what the EU might like you to believe.
Europe? Pfft. They can't even work out how best to stave off international bankruptcy. But more seriously: I was under the impression England, Australia (my home), New Zealand and the U.S. all had this quasi-debit card type deal. I would think those countries represent the bulk of Escapist members.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
If this turns out to be true, I will be one happy Canadian. Stupid insular debit system...

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Zipa said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:

Europe? Pfft. They can't even work out how best to stave off international bankruptcy. But more seriously: I was under the impression England, Australia (my home), New Zealand and the U.S. all had this quasi-debit card type deal. I would think those countries represent the bulk of Escapist members.
Yeah the EU is retarded, its run by a bunch of morons who are seemingly oblivious to the actual problems of the world while they pass stupid laws about the length of power cables for kettles and such.

And yeah England has the post office thing but I don't know about the states, even if they all did there is still the usefulness of the vouchers as gifts for birthdays and xmas and such. Its far easier to tell someone like my mother for example to get my a Steam voucher for such a holiday than try to explain to them about pre paid CCs ect since she struggles with modern technology.

Same deal with apple and pre paid iTunes vouchers.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
That's actually pretty cool. I have some friends who can't buy games on steam due to the simple fact they don't have credit cards. (their reasons vary) If this turns out to be true they can finally join in the fun outside of their f2p games library.
You could be a friend and have them give you cash while you gift them said game.... just a thought.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
This is great news for people like me who don't have a credit card/laser card/Smart card.I can now afford to pay for Steam games without the complicated boogaloo I have to go through.Stpid EU law not letting me get a smart card 'till im 16.I don't have the patience for two years, damn it.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I sincerely hope this doesn't mean Gamestop is going to be abandoning Impulse. Impulse is awesome, the only problem it had when Stardock owned it was they lacked the clout to get new releases on time and to get good sales on old releases. Gamestop buying it out fixed that, which made it infinitely better than Steam. There's no DRM, Impulse itself is very lightweight, and you don't even need it running to play your games. It would be a real shame to see Gamestop cave in when their own service is so awesome.

Edit: However, steam points cards seem like a no-brainer. Even for those of us that have debit/credit cards, we can now ask for steam gift cards for holidays and birthdays. All the way from childhood through high school, there wasn't a birthday or holiday that I didn't ask for a videogame. With Steam having largely replaced retail for me in college, there's been kind of a gap on the gift front ever since, and I've wound up buying "presents" for myself that I could have otherwise just asked for a gift card for.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
FoolKiller said:
KeyMaster45 said:
That's actually pretty cool. I have some friends who can't buy games on steam due to the simple fact they don't have credit cards. (their reasons vary) If this turns out to be true they can finally join in the fun outside of their f2p games library.
You could be a friend and have them give you cash while you gift them said game.... just a thought.
I don't live near them anymore since I moved away to college so the transferal of cash would be quite difficult.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, stop, no, quit it, cut it out, no, no.

Gamestop? No. Stop it. No.