Rumor: George Lucas Thinks the World Will End in 2012 UPDATE

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Rumor: George Lucas Thinks the World Will End in 2012 UPDATE

According to Green Hornet's Seth Rogen, the Star Wars auteur believes the world will end next year.

Seth Rogen was recently interviewed and told an anecdote about a puzzling conversation he once had with George Lucas. Rogen was in an unspecified meeting with Lucas and director Steven Spielberg when the Star Wars visionary got sidetracked and began to discuss the end of the world. Rogen tells the Toronto Sun, "George Lucas sits down and seriously proceeds to talk for around 25 minutes about how he thinks the world is gonna end in the year 2012, like, for real. He thinks it."

Apparently it's just Lucas that holds these beliefs, as Rogen goes on to say, "all the time Spielberg is, like, rolling his eyes, like, 'My nerdy friend won't shut up, I'm sorry...'"

If, reading this, you think it sounds like an exaggeration or joke, you're not alone. Rogen himself didn't believe it at first, telling the Sun he thought Lucas "was joking... and then I totally realized he was serious and then I started thinking, 'If you're George Lucas and you actually think the world is gonna end in a year, there's no way you haven't built a spaceship for yourself'... So I asked him... 'Can I have a seat on it?'" Lucas denied the existence of any such vehicle, but Rogen has his suspicions. Should we be faced with the apocalypse next year, he expects Lucas to hop the Millennium Falcon waiting in the garage, complete with driver. Rogen concluded, "it's gonna be him and Steven Spielberg and I'll be blown up like the rest of us."

Source: MovieLine [http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2011/01/18/16927446-wenn-story.html]

UPDATE:

Lucasfilm representative Lynne Hale emailed Wired.com to clear some things up about Lucas' beliefs:

"He was not serious when he talked about the end of the world in 2012 but he is an adamant believer that the world is flat, that Stonehenge was built by aliens, and that the sun revolves around the Earth. These are among the many subjects he commonly discusses at length with Elvis, who he's going to digitally insert into Indy 5 along with a roster of famous dead actors."

Seth Rogen could be exaggerating, but I still wouldn't be surprised if Lucas were prepped and ready to escape this planet for a galaxy far, far away.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/01/george-lucas-2012/]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I wouldn't believe a single thing that comes out of Seth Rogens mouth, he can't even write a decent joke.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Trogdor1138 said:
I wouldn't believe a single thing that comes out of Seth Rogens mouth, he can't even write a decent joke.
Not being able to write a decent joke doesn't make you a liar.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I dont think a writer of multiple classic movies would think the world is ending next year. Plus the source isnt exactly reliable.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Dudemeister said:
Trogdor1138 said:
Not being able to write a decent joke doesn't make you a liar.
I was joking around. I'm fully aware of what you pointed out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Seth! He hasn't got a ship! HE'S A HITCHHIKER!! Check his thumbs for a signaling device!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Man, if the Millenium Falcon really is in his Garage, we need to get ahold of it. Its the fastest way off this doomed planet. That thing ran the Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs people!

Originality

Dec 25, 2010
Well, if the world is gonna end next year, it's either going to be because of the Hedron Collider sparking a black hole, or George Lucas blowing up the world just to prove himself right. Possibly from the driver's seat of the world's first inter-planetary space-craft, which may or may not resemble the Millenium Falcon.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Seth! He hasn't got a ship! HE'S A HITCHHIKER!! Check his thumbs for a signaling device!
Sorry but Douglas Adams took the secret to hitchhiking to his grave.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Trogdor1138 said:
That. Lucas himself is working on a new series of films, he wouldn't be doing that if he honestly thought the world was going to end. Why the hell are you reporting rumors anyhow? Christ.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I can't wait until 2012 passes without event.

Then people will finally shut up about it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
I can't wait until 2012 passes without event.

Then people will finally shut up about it.
On top of that you should troll the idiots who belived it wholeheartedly.

Theres proabably a forum for it somewhere, there always is.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
If this is true, than hearing someone call George Lucas "my nerdy friend" fills me with all kinds of strange emotions that I'm not entirely sure they have words for...