Rumor: Goldeneye 2010 Coming to the Wii

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Goldeneye 2010 Coming to the Wii

Could the N64's GoldenEye 007 finally be coming back after all?

As spotted by superannuation [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/223707250/experience-team-bondi-sydney-australia], an animator named Craig Peck was working on a project called GoldenEye 2010 for the Nintendo Wii during his time at Eurocom Entertainment Software from July 2009 to September 2009. The site picked this up from Peck's resume, which appears to now have been taken down. What this could be, if anything, can only be guessed at, but one possibility is that a remake of GoldenEye 007 for the N64 could be coming to the Wii sometime in 2010.

Over a year ago, legal issues associated with the re-release of GoldenEye 007 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85511-Rare-Reveals-XBLA-Goldeneye-Legal-Problems] were highlighted, mostly due to licensing problems. If these have been worked out, Bond could live again on the Wii. Peck's resume gave no clue as to what GoldenEye 2010 is other than its name, so for all we know it could have something to do with GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. Logic dictates that GoldenEye 2010 would have some association with GoldenEye 007, considering the N64 game's popularity and status as a classic.

GoldenEye 007 was a 1997 first person shooter developed by Rare that in its time was an incredible experience. N64 owners could play four-player split-screen deathmatch with a variety of characters, maps, and modes, making GoldenEye 007 one of the most memorable multiplayer games of all time. The single player game was just as engaging, providing multiple difficulty settings that not only changed enemy difficulty, but also mission objectives. GoldenEye 007 also had a time-attack-like system that allowed players to unlock cheats (infinite ammo, invincibility, etc) for completing levels under a certain amount of time.

If GoldenEye 2010 turns out to be nothing at all, do not be disappointed. The N64 version of Perfect Dark, the spiritual successor to GoldenEye 007 is being remade for Xbox Live Arcade, and though it didn't receive the attention of GoldenEye, multiplayer-wise it did so much more. More modes were added, along with different kinds of weapons, and you could even add bots into the mix. If you have fond memories of GoldenEye, and haven't tried Perfect Dark, you owe it to yourself to try the XBLA remake, currently scheduled to release in Winter 2009. Would the Wii really be the best place for GoldenEye 007 anyway, at least from an online multiplayer perspective?

(Via: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/craig-peck-reveals-that-goldeneye-is-coming-to-the-wii-153136.phtml])

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
First off, how on earth does Nintendo still own the rights to GoldenEye? Doesn't Rare own the rights?

Regardless, it's nice to see SOMEONE trying to bring this game back, though I really hope this isn't a platform for another gimmicky Wii shooter.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Rrrgh... Making me buy a Wii...

Hate hate hate hate!

I wasn't gonna, but now I must. This sucks... I still need a new computer...

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
A title that could draw FPS players to the Wii and establish a multiplayer community?? OH SHI-
This is juicy, but I won't hold my breath. I'm likely not buying a Wii until I find them growing moss in the bargain bin, no matter what software comes out.

Perfect Dark on XLBA, on the other hand, will be a great substitute!

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Finally a game I can be hyped around. Just make the motion sensor bomb actually noticable, and give the laser ammo.

I'm waiting to chop some bitches online.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
First off, how on earth does Nintendo still own the rights to GoldenEye? Doesn't Rare own the rights?

Regardless, it's nice to see SOMEONE trying to bring this game back, though I really hope this isn't a platform for another gimmicky Wii shooter.
Gxas said:

Hate hate hate hate!

If you're PC savvy, you could always play GoldenEye Source. It's supposed to be really good, even if it's only multiplayer.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
300lb. Samoan said:
Perfect Dark on XLBA, on the other hand, will be a great substitute!
*GASP!*

Is this confirmed!?!?!?

I'm not PC savvy, I really only use it for WoW. But WoW on a laptop doesn't work out well.

Apache2142

Aug 25, 2009
I just hope that if Goldeneye does come out as a remake, it does not destroy my childhood memories. Perfect Dark will waste some time until that time :)

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I wonder how much they will have to downgrade the graphics so it runs on wii

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Perfect dark was just a more advanced version of Goldeneye. Even had a couple goldeneye maps in it. Absolutely amazing, so much better in so many ways, man I cannot WAIT until it hits XBLA!!!

and I remember hearing about all the licensing issues with goldeneye getting a re-release, I thought the final decision was basically, never gonna happen??

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Meh Wii...Oh well theres still the source version of it. At least the multiplayer section.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Yeah, I've seen nothing but glaring negativity across the webs for this rumour, actually. Not surprising though. Shit will hit the fan if this is true.
HardRockSamurai said:

How you can turn a remake of GoldenEye into a gimmicky Wii shooter is beyond me. Answers on a postcard.

And Rare created the game, but they don't own the Bond license, Activision does.
300lb. Samoan said:
Gxas said:

Hate hate hate hate!

If you're PC savvy, you could always play GoldenEye Source. It's supposed to be really good, even if it's only multiplayer.
I played it, and loved it, but the fact that there's a whopping 3 people playing it at any one time (if you're lucky) put me off. PD Source had an overwhelming zero people playing it, I really couldn't find anyone.

And I'm not actually buying a 360 for PD XBLA, but it coming is a nice thing. A very nice thing. GoldenEye on Wii and PD on XBLA makes me a happy chappie (once I get a 360).

Jun 6, 2009
Dammit! First Microsoft, made me start spending loads of cash so I could get Perfect Dark, and then more XBLA games, and now Nintendo is trying to make me search for hours trying to find my damned Wii hidden in tons of boxes in the basement...

I should of sold it.... then all temptation would be gone.....