Rumor: Gordon Brown Denied Steve Jobs a Knighthood

May 7, 2008
Airsoftslayer93 said:
He isnt british so he wouldnt recieve one anyway, only one non brit has ever recieved a knighthood, so i call shenanigans on this story
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Edward Murrow
Bill Gates
Bob Geldof
Douglas Macarthur
Georgy Zhukov

These are but a few who have gotten Knighthood's.

You can get it even if you are not British you just can't use the title "Sir" or "Dame" unless you become a British Citizen like Terry Wogan did

May 7, 2008
Also Job's was the business mind, it was Steve Wozniak who developed the early computers including the Apple II which laid the foundations for PC's, he deserves it more as its legacy is still felt today. All Job's did was make money.

Still given that the Quango responsable for the distribution of Orders has been scrapped and its responsabilities have been taken over by Downing Street all he has to do is donate some money to the Tories and he's in.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Does that thing even mean something? Some sort of royal dick waving, if you ask me.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
tkioz said:
err excuse me, not being a dick here but what exactly has he done to earn a knighthood? Gate's charity work in Africa more then qualified him for it, frankly when you contribute more to malaria research then most first world nations it's the least they can do, however I'm unaware of Jobs doing anything like that.
This. I can't think of anything that ol' Stevey boy has done. He created a company that excels at over-charging at every possible opportunity, this is beneficial to the world how? [World != Steve Jobs].

I might be a little bias here. That's just because I hate how everyone seems to think it's such a great company when it overcharges by magnitudes.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
joshthor said:
knighthood is retarded. im sure it used to be an honor, but nowadays its like... pointless. when i think of a knight, i think of a dude running into battle with a sword. sure, times have changed, but it should be givin to frickin warriors, not skinny computer nerds or models or artists. imagine if england had to call on thier knights to fight for them (not going to happen for many obvious reasons so dont whine about it). imagine steve jobs going in to battle. if that image doesnt make you lol then so help me...
I ended up with Steve Jobs in Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn costume...It made my head hurt.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
vansau said:
the former Prime Minister of England
Former Prime Minister of [HEADING=2]Great Britain and Northern Ireland[/HEADING]
Contrary to popular belief, the United Kingdom isn't just made up of England.

OT: I didn't know that non-Brits could get knighthoods...but I guess so :p
It is a shame that Brown had to be so petty but *shrug* people, ya know?

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
If rumor is to be believed, the former Prime Minister of England personally
Edit: I removed it because people got banned for posting, just think if someone made an article stating that the President of Ohio Barack Obama...

Yeah, that's how stupid.

No delete button to delete my post oh well.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Steve Jobs, the head of Apple, a company who are not actively engaging in philanthropic activity at the minute, is being nominated for a knighthood?

Steve Jobs, the person who is to the technology world what Mao Zedong and Joseph Stalin are to the political world?

Yeah, i'd personally withdraw all my criticism and mockery of Gordon Brown if he did genuinely do this.

The UK was right to give an Honorary Knighthood to Bill Gates 6 years ago because his company made an OS that was for everyone that wanted it rather than just for their own proprietary, over priced and sub par hardware.

He also took all his personal fortune garnered from MS and put it all into a charity organisation in Africa.

Compared to Gates, Jobs is a nobody who only gets by on his arrogant charisma and tendency towards un-backed, biased, controversial statements.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
It irks me when idiots like Jobs get suggested for knighthoods. They've not done anything that could be considered noble or, if we're to take a step back in time here, done anything the glory of the British Empire

It is a bit pety of Gordon if he blocked the knighthood purely because Jobs wouldn't attend the conference but overal if the story is true I'd say Gordon is the hero here.

Nikokvaj

Apr 2, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Psh, if David Beckham can get a Knighthood, any moron can, which is sad, because it lessens it for people who actually deserve it like, like David Attenborough and Patrick Stewart.

Why does 'Mr. Steve 'iSell shoddy crap' Jobs deserve one?
So a B-movie actor is more deserving of the honor than a global sporting icon?

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Riku said:
The Queen only hands out MBE's, OBE's and Knighthood's to Members of the Commonwealth
Thank you. This may make me a bad Canadian, but I believe if your country's history includes war with the UK, you've probably abdicated your claim to knighthood or any of their awards.

On a side note, since the Queen is on my money here I qualify. I'm going to hold off on any real accomplishments, though, until William takes the throne. Then I might try to earn one.

Eoeoz

Apr 28, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
Eoeoz said:
Mimsofthedawg said:
can the Prime Minister stop some one from being knighted? I didn't know that...

beer_nuts said:
He was prime minister of the UK!!!

Is this a case of people thinking the UK is just england ???(usually americans tbh)

UK is made up of scotland , northern ireland and most importantly WALES :D
I think most American's don't necessarily think the UK is JUST England... but I think we use the term synonomously. And honestly, it's not really surprising, considering it was the ENGLISH or BRITISH Empire, and they played such a huge role in our history.

But no, I don't think that most people think it's just England... I guess we just think England's the most important. :p
Yeah, but I think it's a bigger screw up considering the fact Gordon Brown isn't even English...so calling him the Prime Minister of England just seems ridiculous.
You know what's funny though? My girlfriend, who's Canadian, also refers to the UK as England.
Ah, well I didn't mean to defend that I think it is only Americans who equate England with Britain. It's probably most of the world who thinks that, the same as how people call the Netherlands Holland. Guess it's just annoying to Brits who are not from England, and even then I'm side lining the Northern Irish by talking exclusively about the Brits...damn complicated little country we live in...

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
BabyRaptor said:
joshthor said:
knighthood is retarded. im sure it used to be an honor, but nowadays its like... pointless. when i think of a knight, i think of a dude running into battle with a sword. sure, times have changed, but it should be givin to frickin warriors, not skinny computer nerds or models or artists. imagine if england had to call on thier knights to fight for them (not going to happen for many obvious reasons so dont whine about it). imagine steve jobs going in to battle. if that image doesnt make you lol then so help me...
I ended up with Steve Jobs in Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn costume...It made my head hurt.
im imagining steve jobs with his classic turtleneck and glasses, but also a helmet and a full suit of armor (one that shows that he is wearing a turtleneck)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Scotty. said:
Prime Minister of England? Really? Considering Gordon Brown was Scottish.

Dear Americans: The UK is not the same as England, the UK is Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales. It's like saying that Obama is the president of Texas.

I know I'll get banned for this post, but fuck it.

Moderator Edit: Excessive flaming/trolling removed.
I adjusted it, thanks. Sorry if I offended anyone, that was unfortunately a bit of ignorance on my part.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
And a damn good job of Brown to do that, too. Even trying to compare Jobs to Bill Gates is an insult. Bill Gates is extremely charitable, Steve Jobs and Apple are all money grubbing bastards.

Natasha_LB

Jan 2, 2011
To give Steve Jobs a knighthood would have made a mockery of the title, and the people who have really earned it... that said, most of the people they give it to these days don't really deserve it, the title really means sod all these days.

Anyway, way to go Brown, at least you got something right!