Rumor: Gordon-Levitt Takes Role of "Holiday Killer" in Dark Knight Rises

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Gordon-Levitt Takes Role of "Holiday Killer" in Dark Knight Rises

Joseph Gordon-Levitt definitely won't play Robin, or even a hero at all, in Dark Knight Rises.

Christopher Nolan's third (and reportedly final) Batman film has been a mystery since its announcement, other than a few character reveals. For yet another, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was Selina Kyle and Bane [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107524-Nolan-Casting-Another-Inception-Star-in-Dark-Knight-Rises] in the role of Alberto Falcone.

Who the hell is Alberto Falcone, you might be asking? Alberto is the son of Carmine Falcone, the head honcho of organized crime in Gotham City that appeared in Batman: The Long Halloween [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Begins-Blu-ray-Christian-Bale/dp/B000PC6A3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300728618&sr=8-1], where he killed various mob targets on holidays.

It hasn't been confirmed that Gordon-Levitt's version of Alberto Falcone will engage in any holiday-killing activities, though Nolan has taken inspiration from comic book storylines before in both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The basic plot of Dark Knight Rises is still being kept under wraps.

While Selina Kyle was also associated with the story from Long Halloween, Bane was not. With his super-strength serum, Bane walks the line of being somewhat too "super" for the villains in Nolan's films, who has stated that he prefers those more realistic. One theory is that Bane could be a mob hitman in Dark Knight Rises, whom Falcone targets, if Gordon-Levitt ends up as a killer. When Nolan actually releases some story information as opposed to a cast of random characters, it'll be a godsend.

Update: Due to conflicting reports, this story has been labeled as rumor, for now.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034129?refCatId=13]

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
Anybody else just really want to see Tom Hardy snapping Christian Bale's spine.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Every single announcement raises more questions than answers. Can't believe this is due out midway through next year.

On another note, I wonder if we'll get any viral marketing this time around...that might explain some stuff.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Y'know, after the Joker I really couldn't think of what other villains could work in the next Batman movie that might actually have a chance at one-upping its predecessor. But this sounds awesome. I'm totally excited for it.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
The Long Halloween is by far the best Batman comic book, in my opinion. It is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone and everyone ever!
This film definitely seems to be shaping up to be the most 'risky' of Nolan's Batman films which makes me all the more excited to see it

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
CrashBang said:
The Long Halloween is by far the best Batman comic book, in my opinion. It is fantastic and I recommend it to anyone and everyone ever!
See above.

The only issue I have is that the long Halloween was in part a murder mystery, but since we know who the murderer is, it seems a bit defunct...

I guessed the writers of the films had read 'the long Halloween' previously because of the similarities in tone and the fact that some scenes are almost word for word representations of scenes from the noir graphic novel, as it also charts the rise of Harvey Dent.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Bane was going to test some seriously thin ice, but I'm not overly enthusiastic about this news.

He underused Scarecrow in The Dark Knight (if not, totally raped his character), and by refusing to involve Robin, Nolan has got a lot of work ahead of him if he wants to give his trilogy a meaningful third chapter. These characters (Bane and Calendar Man Holiday Killer) aren't exactly show stoppers.

He'd have been better off with Killer Croc or The Riddler... But I've got faith in him so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the result.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
carnkhan4 said:
CrashBang said:
See above.

The only issue I have is that the long Halloween was in part a murder mystery, but since we know who the murderer is, it seems a bit defunct...
True, this article was a slight spoiler but it's still a good read. I knew the twist in Fight Club before I saw it and still loved it to death

I love Nolan's knack for taking direct influence from Batman comic books, like The Joker influencing Dent's mental shift in The Dark Knight taking influence from The Killing Joke (another fantastic book)

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Although Joker and Scarecrow were at least fairly reminiscent of their comic book counterparts, before you start fretting about how badly you think Bane or whoever will go in Rises, think about how massively different Ras Al Ghul was in Batman Begins -- totally different. And awesome too.

I have faith in Mr Nolan.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
CrashBang said:
I love Nolan's knack for taking direct influence from Batman comic books, like The Joker influencing Dent's mental shift in The Dark Knight taking influence from The Killing Joke (another fantastic book)
Even the dark knight name comes from the dark graphic novels of the same name by Frank Miller...

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Who the hell is Alberto Falcone, you might be asking?
One of the most uninteresting Batman villains ever created, I might answer. The Long Halloween is such an overrated Batman book, it's main plot/mystery is a complete failure.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I highly doubt Gornon-Levitt will be Holiday, because what would be the point? The least we'll expect is they'll make a joke about it. Now, as just Alberto Falcone? That makes sense, considering there will be a power vacuum in Gotham City's underworld, and he would be taking over his father's empire.

I'm still standing by my prediction that the new mob boss, whoever it may be, will hire Bane to kill Batman.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Nolan was clearly a fan of the jeph loeb storylines. It shows up fairly often. Doesn't mean he won't take his own personal liberties with the characters though.

And also, the calendar man is being forgotten.

I can't have that.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Well, since one of the draws of the Long Halloween that the reader -didn't- know who the killer was, means Nolan would have to be pretty stupid to try and simply make a live-action version of The Long Halloween, so I'm still optimistic in that regard.

That said...the story wouldn't really be well known beyond comic readers, meaning he could very well do, which would be sad.

Ausir

Sep 5, 2009
Raven said:
He'd have been better off with Killer Croc or The Riddler... But I've got faith in him so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the result.
Killer Croc wouldn't really fit the more realistic Nolanverse.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Remember everyone: I called Bane first. I thought Gordon-Levitt was either going to take over as Joker or be Hugo Strange though.

Bane was just obvious because he's a strategic genius and an interesting story can be made about around him now that the city-in-chaos theme of anarchy has been used in The Dark Knight and the what-plagues-Gotham theme in Batman Begins. We haven't had a film where Batman has simply had a battle of wits with an opponent or been physically in peril himself; only his allies. Bane is such an immense physical threat, wits are all Bruce Wayne has.

Performance enhancing drugs are a reality, they don't need to turn Bane into the Hulk or do any kind of transformation.