Rumor: Grand Theft Auto Online "Cash Pack" Prices Revealed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Grand Theft Auto Online "Cash Pack" Prices Revealed

Grand Theft Auto Online "cash pack" prices have surfaced, seemingly confirming that the game will offer microtransactions.

The rumor went around yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128086-GTA-Online-May-Be-Getting-Microtransactions] that Grand Theft Auto Online may allow players to get a leg up in the game through microtransactions, after a Reddit user dug up a file that made reference to them and included an image of "cash cards." Today that rumor takes on some extra weight, as Eurogamer claims to have pricing information on those cards, supplied by a source with early access to the game, which - if true - confirms that microtransactions are indeed on the menu.

According to the source, the U.K. cash card pricing will break down as follows:

$100,000 Red Shark Cash Card - £1.99 ($3.20)
$200,000 Tiger Shark Cash Card - £3.49 ($5.61)
$500,000 Bull Shark Cash Card - £6.99 ($11.24
$1,250,000 Great White Shark Cash Card - £13.49 ($21.69)

The site also noted that while GTA Online takes place in the same world as Grand Theft Auto 5, in-game prices don't match up. Some items are less expensive in the online game - a $1 million GTA V car runs about $150,000 in Online, while the most expensive property is $400,000 - but others, like weapons and car mods, cost more. Many items are also locked out for low-level characters, which means that even players who fork over for cash cards will have to level up before they have really choice stuff on which to spend them.

Bear in mind that while it sounds pretty solid, it's all just rumor at this point, as Rockstar has yet to confirm or comment way or the other. It will have to say something about it fairly soon, however; Grand Theft Auto Online is scheduled to go live on October 1.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-25-grand-theft-auto-online-micro-transaction-pack-prices-revealed]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't have a problem with this. It's one thing to charge for items with real money and a competely different thing to simply charge for money used to purchase in-game items. If I can still have access to the same weapons, clothes, vehicles and safe houses as others, I'm cool. This is for players who maybe don't have a lot of time on their hands, but they'd really like to own a plane in GTAO. And that's fine.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
While I was hoping to avoid Mircotransactions in a GTA game, this seems rather reasonable.
So long as they don't hide features behind a paywall, that's cool with me.
Personally, I think it'd somewhat defeat the purpose of earning money in game to use, seeing how with the pricing in GTAO you can buy the biggest property and 6 $100,000 cars for just $21 Real Dollars.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Because why rob a bank, steal cars, or do missions when you can just pay real life money and go chill in your virtual apartment *facepalm*.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I don't have a problem with this. It's one thing to charge for items with real money and a competely different thing to simply charge for money used to purchase in-game items. If I can still have access to the same weapons, clothes, vehicles and safe houses as others, I'm cool. This is for players who maybe don't have a lot of time on their hands, but they'd really like to own a plane in GTAO. And that's fine.
One of the prior rumours involved there being upkeep costs, and that could lead to problems depending on the payouts for things in GTAO. Jim Sterling talked about MTs being pited against your patience and the like, and that could be the case here. I'm halfway through the story mode and have ridiculously little cash because the story mode is based around the usual Rockstar formula of "dick the player character(s) around." Maybe the online version won't do this, but it makes me wary. Maybe payouts will be generous enough to afford cars and houses and weapons and clothing and so on without totally sucking away at you, but with this news? And the base game? I'm skeptical.

Doom972 said:
Because why rob a bank, steal cars, or do missions when you can just pay real life money and go chill in your virtual apartment *facepalm*.
Well, they were marketing this as a game where choice played in heavily. I guess "choosing" to pay instead of play is one way to do it....

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Adam Jensen said:
One of the prior rumours involved there being upkeep costs, and that could lead to problems depending on the payouts for things in GTAO. Jim Sterling talked about MTs being pited against your patience and the like, and that could be the case here. I'm halfway through the story mode and have ridiculously little cash because the story mode is based around the usual Rockstar formula of "dick the player character(s) around." Maybe the online version won't do this, but it makes me wary. Maybe payouts will be generous enough to afford cars and houses and weapons and clothing and so on without totally sucking away at you, but with this news? And the base game? I'm skeptical.

Doom972 said:
Well, they were marketing this as a game where choice played in heavily. I guess "choosing" to pay instead of play is one way to do it....
Yeah the story mode wants you to play the stock market alot I think because I finished the game yesterday. Sure I had almost every gun for everyone and alot of scopes, clips & etc. and a set of cars in garages but I never came close to buying the golf course even after clearing the credits I also wasn't expecting the amount of "heists" available with the way they made the "hired help" seem so important to "meet" outside of the the ones already available.

Edit:
It also doesn't help that a "score" your crew you're trio didn't set up never actually pays out after it's final completion. No I don't mean one of the jobs you were told wouldn't pay from the start.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I don't think its been mentioned, but these could be for online. Maybe used to buy camos and clothes in GTA online.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I know that know one has to buy it, but why would Rockstar stoop this low? £13 for $1,250,00 in game money is way to expensive. Why couldnt they have made this as heist DLC where the prize for completing that mission is £1,250,000.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lucane said:
Yeah the story mode wants you to play the stock market alot I think because I finished the game yesterday. Sure I had almost every gun for everyone and alot of scopes, clips & etc. and a set of cars in garages but I never came close to buying the golf course even after clearing the credits I also wasn't expecting the amount of "heists" available with the way they made the "hired help" seem so important to "meet" outside of the the ones already available.
And I really don't want to play the stock market. It's not at all interesting to me. I mean, there are some alternative methods to make money (random world events I won't spoil, etc), but Jesus do they seem to skimp.

I have been let down by the heists so far, both in terms of scale and numbers. Also, the "crew" mechanic.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well I hope one of the packs comes with a Fonzie leather jacket so I can wear it while watching this game jump the shark.

So just like any proverbial rockstar, as soon as the dump trucks of money start flowing in they just can't wait to sell out their fans for a few dollars more.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lucane said:
And I really don't want to play the stock market. It's not at all interesting to me. I mean, there are some alternative methods to make money (random world events I won't spoil, etc), but Jesus do they seem to skimp.

I have been let down by the heists so far, both in terms of scale and numbers. Also, the "crew" mechanic.
If you could do more heists I'd think the crew mechanic would be fine but clearly they may have designed the game to be a some what extended tutorial for GTAO with a story to link everything together hopefully the way it works will be better designed for Online mode and more frequent access to heists.

Edit: oh I wasn't saying trading Stocks was good/fun but maybe it's the best way to make cash due to the number of heists.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Mmm, tough to say but at this point I;m going to wait and see how it feels in-game before I make a judgement.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I dont have a problem for such microtransactions. like one developer from another game said: when it comes to money you either grind in game or grind in real life. and this is a choice people can make. as long as money does not limit stuff.

What i take problem with is the price changes. guns an cars should be cheaper than properties. there is good reaosn to make "Expensive proprties couple guys need to buy together" in multiplayer games. and meanwhiel guns and cars shoudl be easily available so the new players would have a chance too. or this will quikly turn into "i have 10 houses but cant afford a infernus' situation we saw on SAMP.