Rumor: Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Raven Team Up For Modern Warfare 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Raven Team Up For Modern Warfare 3

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is coming out in November, even if Activision has to pull studios off other projects to make it happen.

Back in October, analysts predicted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104151-Analyst-Predicts-Modern-Warfare-3-Will-Be-a-Sledgehammer-Game] that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 would be a Sledgehammer game, and it turns out, they might be kind of right. Modern Warfare 3 is an Infinity Ward game, but it might also be a Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software game as well, if rumors are to be believed.

According to sources close to the situation, at Activision's behest, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer are sharing the responsibility for the single player game equally, and Raven is tackling the multiplayer portion of the game. The game is supposedly well into production, and on track for the usual Call of Duty November release window. The decision to assign the two studios to the game is not without repercussions however, as it is apparently having a cascade effect on other projects. Activision has had to put Sledgehammer's next project, a Call of Duty spin-off that it had started working on before the trouble with West and Zampella, on hold.

Sledgehammer, or at least its founders Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey, have previously worked on games like Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Platinum-Hits-Xbox-360/dp/B000X1PE16/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295608914&sr=1-5] and Dante's Inferno [http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Inferno-Divine-Playstation-3/dp/B001NX6GBK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295608883&sr=1-1]. Raven has a long history of making first person shooters, streatching back nearly twenty years. Most recently it created Singularity [http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Xbox-360/dp/B001UWGDC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295608818&sr=8-1] and Wolfenstein [http://www.amazon.com/Wolfenstein-Pc/dp/B001CLYL1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295608855&sr=1-1].

If these rumors are true, then there's bound to be some concerns over the how this will affect the game itself. With the game potentially already half way through its development, the most likely scenario would seem to be Sledgehammer and Raven are essentially extra bodies to help Infinity Ward get things done.

Source: LA Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/01/activision-calls-in-reinforcements-for-next-call-of-duty-following-infinity-ward-meltdown.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+newsandbuzz+(News+%26+Buzz)] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/284588/news/modern-warfare-3-co-developed-by-sledgehammer-raven-report/?attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Vozati

Jun 8, 2010
No matter how bad or good it is, it'll still sell a bijillion copies

And that's why we cant have new games.

HyperionToASatyr

Apr 15, 2009
"We have three development studios...well, it's two more than normal, innit? 'Cause if you need that extra edge when you're at one--"

"Well, why not just use a better dev? Wouldn't that solve the problem?"

"...These go to three..."

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Three studios?! are they kidding? I know the Modern Warefare series likes to be big and all but Jesus, is IW really in such a place that it can't manage to make a big game or do they simply want to get it out as fast as possible. This just sounds like a recipie for both an epicly infated budget and a really muddled and commitee designed game. This does raise a load of questions, not least about the churn-out shedual the MW games seem to be on and the degree to which IW has been effected by recent events.

If true, this is a really weird move on Activison's part and one which shows of they really don't want to make anything except CoD.
You do know how many senior staff(been there for the duration not all management lol) IW lost after its debacle last year don't you? 48! thats out of a maybe 100 person development team. That kind of restructuring is massive to deal with. Its not remotely surprising.
Maybe they can finally have a full team and create a good unique sequel to Cod4! Haha just kidding, The Call of duty franchise has been sucked drier than a nursemaids tit. *sigh* I really wish we had more new IP's lately. The old ones just arn't doing it.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
I'll buy it, because I'm a sheep for FPS's. I just hope that at least some talented people stayed at IW, and we get a Modern Warfare, not a BLOPS, the story I found of which was awful. Made MW2 look good.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmm, slightly concerning actually, cause 2 other studio's helping with MW3 kinda suggests that Infinity Ward is really in trouble at this point, having had it's guts pulled out after about half the team packed up and left...

Honestly? From my standpoint it sounds less like "three developers cooperating on MW3" and more like "Infinity Ward coughing it's dying breath, using Sledgehammer/Raven as life support to finish MW trilogy".

Still, I hope the game turns out to be good as, unlike about 99% of Escapists from what I can tell, I actually liked Modern Warfare 2... so, yeah :p

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
If they make a non sucky multiplayer and a single player that is not going to take me a Saturday to run through and still leave me time to go out in the evening, then fair enough lets see what they can do.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
I dunno I kinda like the MW series and after Black ops Modern Warfare 2 looked like it deserved the money it raked in.

OT: This is going to be a failure you saw what happened with MoH when one team worked on the single player and the other on the multiplayer. Now with 2 on the single player and one on the multiplayer this is just not going to end well.... But IGN is going to rate it 10/10 because it's Kewl o'Dooty and 8 year olds who scream at their idiot parents are going to buy 10 copies of the game...

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah! RAVEN. Please attempt to hijack the development process and turn the game into Modern Warfare 6: Rouge Spear.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Three developers. Thats like a movie having three directors, that he never worked. The game is going to be all over the place if they have three different developers working on it at the same time.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
This is incredibly sketchy, raven hasn't done anything good in a while, sledgehammer are the new kids on the block with developers new to this kind of FPS and IW is a scattered mess with its A team all buggered off to respawn. Really really really thinking this will suck balls something horrid.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
This game will shatter sales records left and right, despite that we can almost fucking guarantee that it's gameplay will essentially be Black Ops with a couple of extra features, which will make this studio joint operation even more hilarious:

"It took three fucking studios to make this?!

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Isaac The Grape said:
Yeah! RAVEN. Please attempt to hijack the development process and turn the game into Modern Warfare 6: Rouge Spear.
YEAH RAVEN!!!
Singulairty was my favourite game last year!!! Bring it ooonnn!!!!