Rumor: Iran Responding to Battlefield 3 with Anti-Israel Game

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
If western powers can rampage through Teheran on a hunt for nukes, I believe that Iranians deserve the same opportunity. Be it Washington, London, Berlin or Tel Aviv.

The real question here though is if it will be any good? If you are going to make it, you might as well make it worth playing.

Oh oh oh oh...and add multiplayer!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Callate said:
The head of the Iranian National Foundation for Computer Games claims a game called Attack on Tel Aviv will hurt America in the way Battlefield 3 hurt Iran.
...It will be a mild annoyance quickly forgotten by anyone who isn't a fanatic ready to blow a gasket anyway?

Oh, Iran. Why you so crazy?

More troubling, I keep hearing that the people of Iran, by and large, are incredibly warm and generous. They just have a top-down ruling class that brings teh crazi.
They are not crazy, they are just old people who know nothing at all about games or American culture and sentiments, all they know about America is how it treats them and their country, try looking at things from their perspective.
At least they aren't like some of the people appearing on Fox who would blame all the world's evils on games. At least they look at games as a way of story telling and by extension, their statements prove that Iran officially considers games as art and their ruling class is admitting this despite not playing any games at all and all of you ignore this fact.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I see no reason for anyone to get offended about this. They are simply doing what American game studios do all the time - setting a power fantasy about beating up a country they don't like. And of course, it's just a game as always.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Oh bitter irony: the only people who'd be offended are those who don't play video games anyway.

I remember my dad got pissed at me for playing as the MEC in Battlefield 2. 'Twas all the same frag count to me.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
daemonhunter17 said:
As a former resident of Israel I just have to say this:

I kinda want to play this game, I mean I know it would anti-Israel right up the arse but it would be kinda funny to play since it would end up being just ridiculous. Plus it might be kinda cool see some of Tel Aviv again...
The inaccuracies would be hilarious. I'm imagining a land full of baby-eating resteraunts and public hangings of any non-Jews, as per the Iranian government's propaganda version of Israel. Now I kinda want to play this too.

[sub](Discalimer: Yes, I know this isn't actual propaganda from Iran, but some of the stuff they've spouted comes hilariously close)[/sub]

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
For all the people mentioning that there are tons of games where DC or New York get demolished, in how many of those do you play as the invader? The only one I can think of off-hand is MAYBE Prototype.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
At least they aren't like some of the people appearing on Fox who would blame all the world's evils on games. At least they look at games as a way of story telling and by extension, their statements prove that Iran officially considers games as art and their ruling class is admitting this despite not playing any games at all and all of you ignore this fact.
They don't consider games "art", they see them as a means of propaganda, which is not the same thing. Battlefield 3, whatever you may think of it, was not produced by an arm of the American government.

As for them not being like Fox News who "blame all the world's evil on games", the Iranians take a much more old-fashioned approach by blaming all the world's evil on the Jews. [http://www.debka.com/article/21536/]

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Meh, they can make a game like that if they want, doubt it will be any good and probably full of propaganda and hatred for Israel. So the story will probably be just as bad as the one from bf3.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wait wait wait, time out.
Am I the only one missing the steps in logic here?
So they're blaming America for this game and yet the developer is sweedish....
So where in the blue hell did they post mark their angry letters?
Seriously if they were mailing them to the developer they would know that the letters would have to have been sent to sweeden. Did they just write down some american address and these letters are sitting somewhere in the dead letter office of a post room?

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
Some of the details are a little sad but it is perfectly acceptable for them to respond to a game that involved them as the bad guys with a game that involves someone else as the bad guys. Admittedly it is a bit weird for it to be against Israel but honestly I don't see what the big deal is.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I'm sure their game will be shit and likely a doom mod or something equivalent, but I'd play it.

Runicmadhamster

Dec 13, 2011
Yeah BF3 was pretty tasteless the way it showed the Iranians to be the bad guys, really everyone should have seen this coming (as long as they knew about the current geopolitical climate that is)

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
It seems to me like Iranian government and me are living on different planets. Possibly different planes of existence. It's like they're detached from anything that happens in the world. I cannot even grasp how their mindset works - it's just like in those comedy movies, where someone living in a different world gets dropped in the center of NY or some other american city, except real.

Rednog said:
Wait wait wait, time out.
Am I the only one missing the steps in logic here?
So they're blaming America for this game and yet the developer is sweedish....
So where in the blue hell did they post mark their angry letters?
Seriously if they were mailing them to the developer they would know that the letters would have to have been sent to sweeden. Did they just write down some american address and these letters are sitting somewhere in the dead letter office of a post room?
My theory is that they wrote "to american states of usa" on the envelope.

Technocrat

Nov 19, 2008
It's not the first time Israel/the US has been painted as the villian in an Gulf-made shooter. Problem is, they just never be able to put quite the same amount of effort into things like Under Siege [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Siege_(2005_video_game)]

After all, who wouldn't want to fight as the Palestinian martyrs during the second intifada? Just look at these graphics!

This is 2005, by the way!

dagill

Oct 20, 2011
Dunno if anyone has pointed this out, but Ahmajinedad is not the Iranian leader. That title belongs to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, so even though people like to make a big deal out of his comments, its nothing really.

Caverat

Jun 11, 2010
Surprise, folks who are the type to blow a cartoon out of proportion do the same with a video game.

Games depicting the US as a war-torn hell-hole are probably second only to 1940's era Europe in terms of numbers. No wonder they chose to rib one at Israel, I mean, like they aren't constantly on the look out to snip at Israel. Silly Iranians, Anti-semitism goes over best when cloaked in criticism of Israel's foreign policy or security procedures.

Officially placing folks with the 'Oh noes, set in Tehran' opinion in the whiny-***** category.

Evil Alpaca said:
SyphonX said:
Irridium said:
Oh calm down.

New York gets blown to shit countless times in games, you don't see them complaining about it. Or much people complaining about Washington getting fucked in Modern Warfare 2. The city, Washington. Not the person. If it was the person then yeah, complaints would probably be had. Especially if it was full on graphic- you know what? I'll just stop here.

Though having so many games featuring the Middle-East lately... it is getting pretty old. And I suppose people would flip their shit if you played the attackers attacking the US instead of the defenders.
You're not taking it in the right context.

Which country has a huge military-industrial complex? I'll give you a hint, it's not Iran.
ummm... yes it is. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard plays a huge role in the country's economy. They run most of the major businesses in the country.

"The Revolutionary Guard runs more than 300 companies in agriculture, industry, transport, foodstuffs and even tourism."

Article:
http://www.economist.com/node/21540985
Pssssstttt. You aren't supposed to disagree with him, the west is the great evil bent on world domination, and he is smarter, edgier, wittier than all of us for seeing it. We are dupes and being manipulated whenever we don't repeat his opinions the way he did for someone else. We are also employed.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Arif_Sohaib said:
Callate said:
The head of the Iranian National Foundation for Computer Games claims a game called Attack on Tel Aviv will hurt America in the way Battlefield 3 hurt Iran.
...It will be a mild annoyance quickly forgotten by anyone who isn't a fanatic ready to blow a gasket anyway?

Oh, Iran. Why you so crazy?

More troubling, I keep hearing that the people of Iran, by and large, are incredibly warm and generous. They just have a top-down ruling class that brings teh crazi.
They are not crazy, they are just old people who know nothing at all about games or American culture and sentiments, all they know about America is how it treats them and their country, try looking at things from their perspective.
Oh, believe me, I understand that Iran has good reason to distrust the U.S.. I'm aware of the history of the CIA overthrow of a democratically elected leader to install the Shah, and the kind of regime that followed. I actually had a class with a professor who served in a government position under the Shah.

On the other hand, on what planet is making a game about attacking a city in Israel a reasoned response to a game viewed as offensive by an American game-maker? And does seeing games as potentially having a negative influence on their people, either through creating anti-establishment feelings within Iran or anti-Iranian feelings outside of it, really put them in that different a boat from Fox News? Fox is perfectly willing to suggest that games are corrupting our children with sexually explicit images and pushing political messages, but to the best of my awareness even they haven't gone as far as suggesting that they be banned. Barring further information, I'm don't find myself willing to make the leap that their examination of games runs all that deep.

reconrider

Nov 9, 2009
lmao, as if the average american knows of, or has ever been to tel aviv. let alone care what happens there in a video game...