Rumor: Kinect Priced at $149

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Kinect Priced at $149

Microsoft may have doomed Kinect to an early grave: GameStop has priced the peripheral at $149.

Earlier today, we learned that Microsoft's Kinect peripheral would be launching on November 4th with 15 exclusive games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101334-E3-2010-Kinect-Launching-Nov-4-With-15-Games-and-Star-Wars]. That was the good news.

The bad news is that it'll be $149, according to the GameStop listing [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78103]. I hate to pass judgment when it's not even out - especially when this hasn't yet been announced by Microsoft - but if true, this may be Kinect's shot in the foot.

A new Xbox 360 "slim" (or "short") costs $300, and buying a Kinect on top of that costs $149? Unless there's a cheaper bundle, anyone who doesn't yet have a 360 and wants to get in on the Kinect movement needs to shell out $450, more than twice the current price of the Wii. Why would anybody do that?

It gets worse: While $149 is equivalent to £100 or €122, some rumors have the peripheral priced as high as £199 in the UK. That would be all but suicide for what Microsoft is hoping will be its big system-seller this holiday season.

Seriously, would you pay $450 for that?

(Thanks, Alai!)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd pay $300 for a console, and plan on doing it again for a PS3, but I would never pay $150 for a peripheral. Unless it had a serious number of quality games that required it. Not even "Elder Scrolls 5 is Kinect Exclusive" would make me buy on. Okay...maybe that would...

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
£200?
what the hell?
Why is it more expensive in England?
i know it wouldnt be cheaper, but i would think that £ 149 is over the top
i was considering it, but unless its actually £199, then no

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Madness. £199 must must be a rumour.
Not that I'll be getting it, but still. Wow. What a way to damn a possible advance in gaming.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Well I really had no interest in it from the beginning, but now this is just assuring that I never check it out. It's like a fancy eyetoy, and not much more from what I've seen.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Ok, $149? Thats a bit crap and a bad move by Microsoft, but £199 in England is plain old unbelievable.

If its true, then Microsoft has damned Kinect to oblivion.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I wouldn't even buy it at half that price. Microsoft must think people are stupid if they think that price is acceptable.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
...Son i am Disappoint.
I doubt anyone will be willing to buy it at that Price.
Especially after seeing the Games that were shown off for it Today.
Very Disappointing.

Rino Rando

May 31, 2010
Gigaguy64 said:
Very Disappointing.
I honestly had to check and make sure it was still showing Xbox at one point. I was just listening to it, and I would have sworn I was listening to a Nintendo demonstration.

Was not impressed.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
£200?
what the hell?
I think Sidorovich said it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5cNqXgKUo

[youtube]dJ5cNqXgKUo[/youtube]

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Hahahahaha! No chance in hell.
I wasn't planning on getting it anyway, but $150!
But again this is only a rumor.
If it does end up costing that much money, I sense failure ahead.

ad4m101

Jan 17, 2010
am in the UK and id like to get my hands on one, id be happy to pay like £80 for the hardware and a game bundled in. I would probably even end up going for it at £99.99 but no way would pay any higher then that. one less customer then

With the xbox price cuts coming up could get a basic console for less =/

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering a lot of people were willing to shell out their savings on MW2 when it was priced $10 over everything else for PC, I really wouldn't be surprised if this actually sells. And people will still gripe about having barely any money.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Rino Rando said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Very Disappointing.
I honestly had to check and make sure it was still showing Xbox at one point. I was just listening to it, and I would have sworn I was listening to a Nintendo demonstration.

Was not impressed.
Im more pissed off than anything else.
I had hopes for Microsoft, Milo was cool.
Where was he?
No...we just got the same thing Sony is doing.

Oh well, i want to watch tomorrow to see if we get info for Metroid:Other M, Golden Sun 3, and Marvel VS Capcom 3 but i have work.
So ill just haft to catch it later.

Jun 26, 2009
For £200 they can go fuck themselves what's that in dollers bout $220 and Americans only have to pay $140 last time I checked that was racism/discrimination!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Bit too rich got my taste, for something which I see as a flop

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I wouldn't pay $150 for anything other than a full console, man. Who are they kidding? Remember, a fully functioning Wii is only nine bucks more expensive, and that usually comes with a free Wii Sports.