Rumor: Kratos Coming to Mortal Kombat

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Kratos Coming to Mortal Kombat

God of War's Kratos is going on vacation, the only way a hyper-violent Spartan demi-god knows how.

The Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291810414&sr=8-1] reboot will apparently feature at least one high profile guest character when it's released next year. PS3 owners can supposedly look forward to seeing God of War's Kratos duking it out with the likes of Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

The January issue of Official PlayStation Magazine revealed Kratos' inclusion in the roster. Kratos will have his own moves, including his own fatalities, and his own God of War themed arena. He won't appear in story mode however, so don't expect to see him becoming the king of Outworld any time soon.

God of War creator David Jaffe seemingly confirmed the rumor via Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/davidscottjaffe/status/12395147362832384], saying that he had known about it since this year's E3, but hadn't been able to say anything. Jaffe said that Kratos would be having a whale of a time in the world of Mortal Kombat and said that he was sad that Kratos wasn't going to be an official part of the Mortal Kombat canon.

There's no news of Kratos' Xbox 360 counterpart, but someone like Gears of War's Marcus Fenix would fit pretty well, what with his habit of chainsawing his enemies in half. There's also the possibility that the 360 version might include a different kind of Spartan, and feature Halo's Master Chief, although I wonder if Microsoft would be entirely happy with the Chief being the target of some of the rather grisly fatalities that Mortal Kombat has to offer.

Mortal Kombat comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 early next year.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-kratos-and-partial-roster-for-mortal-kombat-9-189169.phtml]

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
Ha ha ha this is awesome :D

When they put Darth, Yoda and Starkiller into Soul Callibar 4 it didnt really work....Kratos looks like he would fit in the MK universe...i cant wait for this ga,me

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
He fits as well as anyone else would, and does certainly add some appeal to the game.

And, heck, anything to increase sales.. well, anything other than concentrating on making a solid balanced fighter that is.

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
Thank god hes not in the campaign though. I think his presence would just ruin it if they tied him into the story

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This news reminds me of Soul Calibur II where each of the three versions had a different guest star. When I saw the news of Kratos possibly being in the game my reaction was "please God yes" I know he was already in the psp Soul Calibur IV port but this would be so much cooler.

MattRooney06 said:
Ha ha ha this is awesome :D

When they put Darth, Yoda and Starkiller into Soul Callibar 4 it didnt really work....Kratos looks like he would fit in the MK universe...i cant wait for this ga,me
I thought that as long as you thought of their appearences as purely non-cannon then they were a fun addition.

fenderstrat

Aug 9, 2009
all the other characters in the game wouldnt stand a chance against kratos... he did kill quite a few gods you know...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Hmm...well can't argue with that choice, Kratos and all his brutal glory fits in well with MKs game style I guess. I wonder who they will get for the xbox version, maybe the Arbiter or something.

Can't say it makes this game any more appealing for me, still giving it the benefit of the doubt that this may turn out to be a GOOD MK game for once. Never the less, I'll look forward to see what his fatalities look like.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
I SHALL SEND YOU BACK TO THE DEPTHS OF HADES!! (rips Scorpion's head off)

For 360...yeah someone from Gears of War would probably be best. Cole Train maybe...or Carmine. There's a few left of that family to murder somewhere I bet.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Hmm a brooding man of Sparta who only has death on his mind? I can actually see that working in the ways of Mortal Kombat. Will he be a balanced character? I doubt it.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Hmm who would the 360 exclusive be?

Master Chief?
Marcus Fenix? (though that would be quite funny)

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
This is a match made in blood soaked heaven.

It also reminds me of ZP's review of God of War 3...

I'd like to see Nathan Drake locked in a room with Kratos. See how far smug wise cracks would get him when his head is being sandwiched between a concrete floor and a foot that's kicked so much arse it permanently smells of fart.
So yeah, Kratos for Uncharted 3.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Can those of us who own a 360 bget a good cross over character for once? I mean for fucks sake, we got Yoda in SC4 while the PS3 got Darth Vader. I don't want Master Cheif or anyone from Gears, I want someone who fits in with the rest of the fighters like Kratos does. Aren't there any good characters in any other games who would work better with the feel of MK? Why not Ezio or Altair from the Assassins Creed games? That would be cool.