Rumor: Leaked Concept Art Hints at New Valve IP

joes

Oct 15, 2010
cikame said:
I love valve, but i hate that art style.

I hate when you take a face then move it around abit and call it an 'art style', it's not, it's just some dude with a forehead where his brain used to be.
yes, i feel you. also, hilarious.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
BanthaFodder said:
Team Fortress 2: dominated the online FPS genre
Whoa, hold your horses there, Bantha. I'm gonna have to see some numbers on that one or call shenanigans. There's no way Team Fortress 2 dominated the online FPS genre. Not with so many people playing the more serious shooters.

bean burrito

Jul 10, 2009
This isn't surprising at all. Has anybody else been looking at the updates for TF2 lately?
on the 5th there was an update which only said
"Team Fortress2
-[Restricted]"

And this isn't the only one. Evidently it's part of the "Potato-Based conspiracy",
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/valve-tied-to-vast-potato-based-conspiracy-may-be-portal-2-related/

Not sure if these leaked images are part of it, but valve is obviously up something...

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Reminds me of Mass Effect... And I take this as further proof that Valve stopped caring about Half-Life.

Cymen

Apr 3, 2010
cikame said:
I love valve, but i hate that art style.

I hate when you take a face then move it around abit and call it an 'art style', it's not, it's just some dude with a forehead where his brain used to be.
My Klingon friend would like to speak with you...and the Romulan Empire as well.

Alkore

May 25, 2009
plugav said:
I'm skeptical, but I have to say this: a Valve game about spacefaring pregnant women (pic 9) would be a must-buy for me. :D
For me to just because i would like to see how the put that in a video game and its never been done before at least to my knowledge.

Cymen

Apr 3, 2010
THIS IS NOT PART OF THE ARG!
These pictures WERE NOT LEAKED! They were TAKEN BY A FAN. They ALLOWED HIM TO PUBLISH THOSE!
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803644&highlight=pinkerton

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
The look of it reminds me of the style of IMMORTAL, even the weird faces are pretty close to some of the modified or nonhuman characters that inhabit the city in that movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/

hyker

Feb 2, 2010
Maybe this is the way they're setting up the hype
Makes sense, they used a method like this to set up portal 2 too. They set up something strange, let the gossip go around, people start to make guesses, then bam, they announce it

and than it will be delayed by 4-5 months

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
SultanP said:
BanthaFodder said:
Team Fortress 2: dominated the online FPS genre
Whoa, hold your horses there, Bantha. I'm gonna have to see some numbers on that one or call shenanigans. There's no way Team Fortress 2 dominated the online FPS genre. Not with so many people playing the more serious shooters.
well, I personally consider it one of the big online FPSes. yes, there are others that are more popular, but whereas a new Call of Duty comes out every 1-2 years, Valve and the community have been supporting TF2 with regular updates since it's release. the fact that a game released in '06 is still so popular is quite a feat in this day and age of 4-5 hour campaigns and sequels that barely change anything. plus, it's one of the best examples of balanced classes I have ever seen in a game.
as far as quality goes, TF2 did dominate the online FPS genre.

technotica

May 4, 2006
looks like photo manipulation to me.

for instance the artists at blizzard made that "jawa-wall" and covered the wall with doodles of jawa's doing things/in costumes. Only it looks like valve used photos of its staff.

technotica

May 4, 2006
Ekit said:
Reminds me of Mass Effect... And I take this as further proof that Valve stopped caring about Half-Life.
Gabe Newel doesnt care about halflife people!

im not crazy bout the art style either. it IS interesting and some of it i actually really like. For the most part, its not something id be highly interested in but maybe a little here or there. Then again, with valve.. im sure they would do something worthwhile with it so i say lettem do it.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
They could just be their for inspiration. Strikes me as the incredibly weird kind of stuff you can find in very early concept art.

Maybe they're brainstorming designs for some sort of alien/human hybrid or some sort of mutants.

Does seem more likely that someone's messing with us though.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Alkore said:
plugav said:
I'm skeptical, but I have to say this: a Valve game about spacefaring pregnant women (pic 9) would be a must-buy for me. :D
For me to just because i would like to see how the put that in a video game and its never been done before at least to my knowledge.
Exactly, it would be interesting just to find out what they'd do with a theme like that.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Kolosus said:
SniperMacFox said:
Does anyone else see "Cyberpunk and Steampunk" in these pictures? As personally that's the first thing that struck me when I looked at them. Though to be honest I'm inclined to agree with Kolosus:

Kolosus said:
A concept artist had a weird sci-fi dream. Transferred it onto paper to share the mindfuck with his co-workers/journalists/community.
If you're gonna share something, why not make it something that will haunt people for the rest of the day?
Stuff for dreams!

Ohh well, off to bed and dream of scaringly proportioned women, gene-splicing and spaceships!
Sounds like a plan. Count me in!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This looks kinda neat, but why is it that most games have to make aliens seem so... human-ish? I mean, most of these are just pictures/artwork of humans that have been altered slightly to make them "alien". Long ears and a different skin tone does not an alien make, dammit!