Rumor: Lucas Planning New Star Wars Trilogy

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Lucas Planning New Star Wars Trilogy

It might finally be time to find out exactly what happened after Return of the Jedi, perhaps even centuries after, if rumors are to be believed.

George Lucas is reportedly getting ready to make three new Star Wars movies, set after the fall of the Empire. Not only that, but the new films will apparently not focus on anyone named Skywalker.

Movie website IESB [http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10291:iesb-exclusive-the-line-starts-hereagain-new-star-wars-movies-planned&catid=41:news&Itemid=71] cited an "ultra top-secret LucasFilm insider," who said that Lucas planned to release the first part of the new trilogy within two years after the 3D re-release of Return of the Jedi, which was expected to be sometime around 2015 or 2016. IESB drew parallels between the upcoming the upcoming re-releases and the Special Editions in the 90's, saying that Lucas planned to use the money generated from box office and DVD and Blu-Ray sales to fund the new movies, just as he'd done with the prequel trilogy.

The source also suggested that Lucas would deliberately leave a gap in the timeline, perhaps even as long as a thousand years, to give himself some freedom and not have to keep referring back to the previous movies. The source credits the success of the movie Avatar and the Clone Wars TV show as inspiring Lucas to create new material. LucasFilm has denied the rumor, but IESB said that that was to be expected and was adamant that their source was correct. IESB referenced its track record of LucasFilm scoops, and saying that it had been the first to break the news of Revenge of the Sith's PG-13 rating, as well the existence of a Star Wars TV show.

The less than stellar prequel trilogy left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, but if these rumors are actually true, it could actually be wonderful news. A little room to maneuverer with the story might be just what Lucas needs to get his creative juices flowing again, and by going so far forward in the timeline, he won't interfere with the Expanded Universe content either. At the very least, a new Star Wars trilogy would likely have some cool lightsaber battles in it, and would let Lucas get back to telling stories about good triumphing over evil, which he seems to be quite good at, rather than a great hero's descent into villainy, which he's not so good at.

Source: via io9 [http://io9.com/5671581/george-lucas-reported-creating-new-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-thats-not-about-the-skywalkers]

Apr 28, 2008
What Lucas needs is people who actually challenge his ideas. Thats what made the original trilogy so good.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
He gave his wife the scripts as an anniversary present and said he wouldn't touch them unless she gave him permission because of how upset she was at how much time the movies took of his life. I doubt she folded so quickly. This is probably wrong.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
While I've heard the eventual game plan was at one point to have three trilogies, I would doubt that work would start on a new Star Wars film so close to the television series.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
you know, I know these are probably gonna suck, but even as I'm writing this, there's a hyperactive voice in the back of my brain freaking out over it. Cannot... Suppress...any... longer!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Star Wars! Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
I really don't have as much hate for the prequel trilogy as most people do. I actually kinda liked episode 1, the other two were fairly boring besides the lightsaber fighters but oh well.

Either the new ones are good and I'm happy, or they suck and I just never watch them again and move on.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This isn't the first time I've heard this rumor, and it won't be the last. Just someone making some quick cash of an old story.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
This just in: George Lucas wants more money. Again.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Interesting. It's no great loss to me if it's made and turns out horrible, but I am quite fond of the starwars universe - and I loved KOTOR, which had that same millenia of time seperating it from the established continuity. I guess it's worth a shot, but he'll be shooting himself in the foot if he surrounds himself with yes men. People who create need to have people disagreeing with them, or they get lost in their own mental tide of 'wouldn't it be cool if, wouldn't it be great if, wouldn't it be interesting if...'

And down that way lies darkness.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
This begs the question why would they do that? I guess if they don't focus on a Skywalker they can have some room to make a film trilogy, but it still feels like what can be said in the Star Wars Universe has already been said. What with the movies, comics, books, games, and TV shows.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
So this trilogy is going to take place "A few years ago, in a Galaxy a little farther away..."?

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Go read the books people, there good, you dont have to play out the ass to read them more then once, and you still get hte same effect.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
If this is true, I'll give it a chance to impress me but I won't freak out if it turns out false. We ARE talking about the man responsible for the Star Wars Christmas Special, after all.