Rumor: Microsoft in Talks to Buy Silent Hills, Make it Xbox Exclusive - Update

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Bullshit, it's not worth billions of dollars. I doubt the whole of konami is worth that much at this point

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd die from the electrolyte imbalance from the salt needed to take this rumor in (and that's after being ready by reading the chuckle-worthy GD thread last night). One billion dollars for one sort of niche IP is... excessive, even for MS's check book. I don't even think buying all of Konami's game IPs and Kojima's studio would worth much more than that right now. (If Konami didn't use everything that isn't Metal Gear to wipe their collective ass for the past few years, 2 billion double dollars would be my uneducated guess for all of that. But Konami wouldn't be in the position to financially benefit from selling IPs if they actually cared about them.)

Really, if they gave any fucking brain cells left that aren't focused on pachinko and mobile, they won't just sit on their IPs, to only use them as themes for pachinko and exported slot machines or in shite mobile games. If they have some intelligent decision making power, they would at least license out their IPs to another game company to make the big AAA games. All they would need to do is find some willing publishers, send over concept art/existing assets and maybe the occasional consultant/project overseer and collect royalties when the games come out. They might have to share profits, but they aren't taking that big AAA risk that seems to scare them so much.

Maybe, just maybe, that is where this rumor spun off of. Perhaps MS and Konami execs were seen in an informal and unplanned meeting together and someone turned the few quick words they heard about licensing negotiations into "OMG, MS iz bye-ing teh Sai-lent Hillz! Quick, to the rumor mill to grind this info into easy to eat gelatin!" I highly doubt that, though, maybe they did exchange words and someone just heard about the exchange, but not the content of the conversation, and had an ill-informed fan-gasm.

Side note: Firefox's spell check wants to change "pachinko" into "poaching." Take that as you will.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Okay, sanity check: Does this make any sense to anyone out there?
about as much sense as buying Minecraft for around 2 and a half billi.... oh wait they already did that.

The only way Konami will let go of one of it's IPs is if they are offered literally stupid money for it, what luck then that their just happens to be a company so desperate to market their mediocre selling home console to anyone who is willing to listen that they would in fact be willing to pay stupid money for an IP that at best as had a 33% hit rate with it's games.

If the title had had any other company offering money for a Konami IP I would have called it comedy bullshit but Microsoft is just stupid enough to shell out billions for a franchise that isn't even worth a tiny fraction of that amount.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Gizen said:
circularlogic88 said:
80% complete? Doubtful. If you have a game at 80% complete, you don't pull the plug on it after investing so much money and manpower with nothing to show for it. Konami can't afford to make those kinds of moves like Blizzard could with their Titan project.
This is actually not necessarily true. There are plenty of examples of games getting canned at stages of near completion. There was an article here on the Escapist about a week ago about how Star Fox 2 got canned when virtually done already, or if you want something more recent, Star Wars Battlefront 3 was cancelled in a near-finished stage as well.

The rumour mill has also been churning with reports that Konami's upper management are actually full of vindictive, cocky, arrogant pricks, and some of their past actions would lend credence not only to this, but also to a history of poor business decisions. Considering some of their other recent actions, it's looking very much like Silent Hills wasn't cancelled because it was bad or wasn't going to sell, but because management was looking specifically to spite Hideo Kojima. This isn't even the first time something similar to this has happened. When Keiji Inafune left Capcom, they cancelled a number of Mega Man titles that were in development at the time simply to be assholes. Considering that the majority of Konami's revenues come from pachinko machine sales, not console games, and a history of being assholes already established, it's very possible that Silent Hills WAS 80% done at time of cancellation.
Understandable I suppose, but as far as Star Fox 2 was concerned, that was a matter of wanting to promote the N64 and essentially reboot it. And the Star Wars game (which I don't think is Battlefront, 1313 maybe? Sorry if I'm wrong, but that's the only title that comes to my mind.) was being made by LucasArts prior to the Disney buyout and once it was bought by Disney was most likely scrapped because it didn't fit within the new direction they were going with it. Disney did the same thing to all Marvel cartoon shows that weren't made by Disney/Marvel studios as well. The point I'm trying to make is, those were both tough business decisions made during a time of company flux and restructuring.

Though you make an excellent point with Japanese companies being very bitter and spiteful towards former employees and content developers with Mega Man. I completely forgot about Capcom's taboo with releasing new Mega Man games.

Oscar Castillo

Apr 13, 2015
who knows maybe this wont be a bad idea seeing how konami is sinking like the other major companies
at leats we may have hope to see this released

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Andy Shandy said:
Can't say I understand the logic behind those who would rather have it dead, just because it's not on the console of your choice.
That's because you're trying to understand fanboy logic. Don't mistake it for anything else.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
The big thing is, would Kojima and Del Toro be included in the deal? Because that´s a big fat part of the reason people were so hyped about the project, and with Kojima embitered at the very least, that may not even be a possible scenario even if they do buy the project.

I also have to agree that Silent Hill is no system seller, so it would be a pretty big bet on Microsoft´s part to blow such a chunk of moola to make people actually give a damn about the xbone. So yeah, salt, but if it´s true, it still seems insane to me.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Rumor has been dismissed.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/30/xbox-boss-denies-microsoft-purchase-of-silent-hills-for-xbox-one

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Do I want to see Silent Hills happen? Yes. Do I want it to be Microsoft that makes it happen? no. Besides, none of this makes sense at all for them to pay out that much money for something that's such a niche market. But I would prefer it someone else salvaged it. The problem is, what will microsoft do with it? Will we see a great fantastic game worthy of Silent Hill, a game full of horror, psychological and physical, with an atmosphere that grabs you right away and doesn't let go, or will we see Silent Hill Homecoming 2.0?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Laughing Man said:
Okay, sanity check: Does this make any sense to anyone out there?
about as much sense as buying Minecraft for around 2 and a half billi.... oh wait they already did that.
Yeah, but, see, that's the thing. Minecraft is one of the biggest surprise hits to come out of the indy development scene ever. This would be like Microsoft saying, "Yeah, the STALKER rights are worth two and a half billion." Minecraft had... and probably still has, the potential to make far more money for Microsoft than the 2.5b they put on it. Silent Hills? Not so much.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
circularlogic88 said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/30/xbox-boss-denies-microsoft-purchase-of-silent-hills-for-xbox-one
Done and done. I wonder when people will learn, and more particularly, when The Escapist will learn to not trust nor even report on these wild rumors. Seriously, just take a look at the conversation here and how often unhealthy it was. This does no one any good.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Ryan Hughes said:
circularlogic88 said:

Done and done. I wonder when people will learn, and more particularly, when The Escapist will learn to not trust nor even report on these wild rumors. Seriously, just take a look at the conversation here and how often unhealthy it was. This does no one any good.
Well, it's clickbait so The Escapist gets their ad cut. Even if that does do long term damage to their credibility, and does harm their ad revenues in the long term.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Okay but to be fair, anyone whose brain hadn't been swapped out for a pile of squirrel poop could have 'predicted' the Kinect-less Xbone. "I predict this company will make a move that will improve sales of their product"; doesn't exactly require a trip to the Oracle of Delphi to figure that out.

I'd only believe the 'billions' figure if it was for Konami's entire library of IP, not just for this one game. Would make some sense too- maybe acquiring a lot of Japanese IP would help Microsoft crack into the Japanese market (which they have consistently failed to do). Or maybe they'll just squat out a couple of poorly received games and then sit on the licenses like a fat dragon like they've done with Rare.

EDIT: Seems it's been dismissed.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Gonna buy Silent Hills for more money than Silent Hill has ever made.

This one's definitely legit.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So it's been crushed. I kinda feel sorry for Silent Hill fans.

I gotta hand it to Phil Spencer for not giving us the "[Insert megacorp here] does not comment on rumors or speculation" line. Konami, as they've currently been acting, would probably have taken weeks to respond and might have given us that empty corporate phtrase. And they likely would have used the rumor to drum up hype for Silent Hill Crush Saga.
Ryan Hughes said:
circularlogic88 said:

Hey, it gives us something hypothetical to talk about over the weekend, even when the rumor has been officially crushed and especially with news going quiet because of E3 being 2 weeks away. If anyone is gullible enough to buy this big of a deal coming from an anonymous source, they'll eventually learn to be skeptical (at least I hope).

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
My eyes started to glaze over at the word billions. Unless it's in a currency far lower than yen, no video game franchise is worth that much.

I call bullshit.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Silent Hill returns to death, it seems. A pity, Shattered Memories and Downpour were such good games, so at least the series went out on a relatively high note.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
jklinders said:
My eyes started to glaze over at the word billions. Unless it's in a currency far lower than yen, no video game franchise is worth that much.

I call bullshit.
One billion yen equals roughly eight million US dollars, so... two or three billion yen wouldn't be that insane a price tag for an IP with a decent history behind it.

But, you know.