Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
The Lost Big Boss said:
But that would require a total engine revamp, and they have already said they are not interested in that, plus its Activision.

Also, does any one else think that having two(Possibly three)developers on one game is a complete train wreck waiting to happen?
It does sound like an absolute train wreck.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
No prequel is, assuming it's true, a very good thing indeed.

Happy sniper+"You stupid camper"+BOOM! Headshot+Bigger Maps=Me very happy.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
elilupe said:
So now Call of Duty is going for Battlefield's fans and Battlefield is going for Call of Duty's fans. This should be interesting.
Sounds about right.

ProtonGuy

Apr 7, 2011
This is no longer beating a dead Horse Activision, this is dropping thermonuclear warheads on corpse dust. Stop this franchise before the entire gaming populace becomes one big drunken frat house.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Here's an idea Activision/Treyarch: Instead of going "Epic" with Mewthree, how about you spend some time closing up all the potholes left over from MW2?

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Well, my friend said it best when he described MW2. Fool me once, I deserved it. Fool me twice, fuck you you asshole. They fooled me twice. That being said, I don't think they'll be able to pull off the destructive battlefields without some sort of a vehicle. And we all know how vehicles turned out in CoD...

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
So basically it goes like this:

Confirmed and seen: Battlefield 3 goes epic with huge, destructible levels.

Rumoured, unconfirmed, could be BS: Modern Warfare 3 goes epic with huge, destructible levels.

Yeah, I know where my money is going this fall.

Mar 30, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Judging by the "Funhaus" in the picture (If that is a screenshot from MW3) part of it must take place in Germany.

Also it won't exactly be hard to create levels that are larger than the Black Ops maps.
That's a screenshot of the MW2 'Resurgence' map-pack level, 'Carnival'.

OT: I'm actually looking forward to MW3, mainly because it's Infinity Ward making it. I've always found IW's CoD offerings to be better (or certainly more suited to my tastes) than Treyarch's contributions.

Although I'm not sure if ripping off Battlefield is the way to go...

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Activision just turned to DICE and said:

Resistance is futile.
Your major 1-up over us has been assimilated.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
wait, people care about single player in CoD games?

Also, I can't see it ever possibly being a good thing to have three different developers working on a title.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
amaranth_dru said:
Rumor has it... I would like to see the story continued, too bad Ghost ate it in the last one tho.
Still without the bulk of IW I wonder how they'll pull it off. I wasn't pleased at all with BlOps graphics, or story for that matter.
Destructible environments? Hopefully someone can get this right (I still think the original Red Faction pulled it off the best).
BF:BC1 & 2 are behind you, looking at you funny, tapping you on your shoulder and would like to have a word with you in private

Calico93 said:
Oh right. So they're stealing ideas from their main competition in FPS.
I dont think they should.
COD works for people who like an arcade shooter style thing, and Battlefield works for people who like teamplay and tactics.
BC2 size maps and destructible environments wont work that well in COD. IMO.
Imitation being the most sincere form of flattery? I think it's ok. But they are still reinforcing the fact that fans of OTHER shooters have been saying, CoD isn't the king, and people should really try other titles. I've been a convert since Bad Company 1's demo. each time I play one of the recent CoD I am impressed by the pretty/shininess, the frames per second fluidity, and then let down by the repetitive and the small choking maps.

Battlefield, on the other hand, gives me the full gamut. the Sounds are awesome, the stages are effing huge so that EVERY multiplayer match is unique (it doesnt all come down to one or two choke points)- and players can assume different ROLES in battle. It makes the run & gun of CoD seem like mindless humdrum.
So let them imitate. They'll still have a long way to go. That stealth bomber was cool though, and a nice gimmick with the pack of dogs. You know you can fly that helicopter in Battlefield, right? Did anyone mention the tanks? CoD better pray that they havent figured out a way to bring back fixed winged aircraft. (still jealous of PC players for that) They worked in Frontlines! (controls were a lil wonky, but they worked dammit)

binvjoh said:
Looks like someone's scared of BF3.

Not that I'm complaining, at least they're changing something.
That's exactly what I was thinking. But if they release another CoD with NO significant changes, then they are doomed. But they can do what they want, as long as it's an improvement over stagnation.

Clive Howlitzer said:
I liked this when it was Bad Company 2.
I wonder how many Call of Duty devs play Battlefield? not trolling, I would naturally assume they do just to see what the competition is up to, and how they can improve upon their product. I'm assuming just because they (if they do) implement destructowalls and grandemaps its not going be *exactly* like Battlefield, they will be doing it to evolve their product. But I wonder how many of the devs are secret Battlefield converts.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
...Meh. Battlefield 3 is coming out this year, your argument is irrelevant. Though I did like both of the MW games quite a bit, I feel like BlOps just killed it for me. That game just wasn't fun to me, and it has freakin Gary Oldman in it! I kinda feel bad for never bothering to finish it now. I blame Battlefield Bad Company 2 for coming out the same year, and just being better. Multiplayer wise atleast, the campaign wasn't that great.

So yea, maybe I'll get it for Christmas, but I don't see Battlefield 3 letting me play anything else, multiplayer wise atleast, this year.

Chickenfeed

Dec 1, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Judging by the "Funhaus" in the picture (If that is a screenshot from MW3) part of it must take place in Germany.

Also it won't exactly be hard to create levels that are larger than the Black Ops maps.
Psst, the screenshot is from Modern Warfare 2, from one of the map packs.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Shreder55 said:
I still don't care. Modern Warfare 2 was bad and so was Black Ops so I feel no need to get hyped over what will eventually be the same game with only like two "new" features.
To be fair, large destructible levels wouldn't just be a token enhancement like a few extra perks, it would really affect gameplay. Honestly the thing that has lead to the slow degradation of the CoD franchise, imo, is that the levels got worse and worse which lead to the strategy deteriorating. I'm fine with the perk system and all that as it is, but if they want be to buy the next CoD game, they're going to have improve the level designs and spawning, which is hopefully what the rumors are about.