Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Will Support 32 Players Online

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Will Support 32 Players Online

A leaked video also hints at a new gameplay mode for Modern Warfare 3, simply called "Bomb."

It seems that the multiplayer maps in Modern Warfare 3 might be a little more spacious than those of its predecessor with the maximum number of players increasing from 18 to 32. That's according to a short video that purports to show a build of the game that Activision plans to use at the Call of Duty XP event later this week.

The video, which has since been removed from YouTube, showed someone navigating through the game's multiplayer menu. Besides showing the increased map sizes, the video showed that the game currently has thirteen multiplayer maps, with names like "Carbon," "Paris," and "Seatown." It also showed a multiplayer mode called simply "Bomb," with no other details about what it is. It could be anything from the Call of Duty version of Counter Strike, to an unexpected remake of Kaboom!. The second one is probably the most likely; let's not forget that Treyarch put Zork in Black Ops.

I must admit though, that I'm a little skeptical about the veracity of the video itself. The story - that the person behind the video broke into the venue for CoD XP - is certainly plausible , but it raises a lot of questions. There's also the fact that the description you can see in the still from the video isn't the best English in the world. It's hardly conclusive that it's a fake - people make typos all the time - but it does raise another question mark over it all. Of course, if it is a fake, it seems like a fairly elaborate one.

Activision's stance on the video is that it doesn't comment on rumors or speculation, but the CoD XP convention is just around the corner, so we'll get our answer soon enough.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: SFX 360 [http://sfx-360.com/newsite/modern-warfare-3-multiplayer-modes-leaked-before-cod-xp/] via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-30-32-player-mp-in-modern-warfare-3-report]

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Even tho correct spelling is rarely found in COD games (as in, the chat), i doubt that this is legit. It would be rather interesting to try it out, but still, I'm pretty sure everyone involved with the game can write normal English.
But that's just my opinion.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
*hurr hurr generic CoD joke, I'm so funny*
/sarcasm

OT: 32 players would be a tad too much I think, interesting, but I liked Black Ops with 6 a side. Would like to see if this is true or not first though before making judgement.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Call of Duty: Grammar Warfare anyone?

I think it's fake, but if it's true, they might be into something good for once, I haven't had a CoD with 30 players since I played CoD on PC... such good memories.

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
The crappy English makes me call shenanigans. And besides, Resistance boasted up to 40 players online (with the second part hitting 60) so this is not that big of an achievement anyway.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I can't handle 15 other people being stupid/racist/trolls. How on earth is anyone meant to manage the onslaught of 31?

(If it isn't obvious I take 1 person away as they have to listen to this shit)

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
instantkarma5 said:
Impossible. CoD doesn't do anything different.
*pointless comment which adds NOTG+HING to the debate!*

(I CBA to welcome you to the Escapist)

OT:

Yay! This makes me look foreward to it even more!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Sneaklemming said:
I'd laugh so hard if this was a PC only feature.
Wouldn't suprise me...
I honestly don't know what's so difficult about bringing features across platfroms...
Anyway that's for another matter.

OT: Looks fake, bad english and all that.
But if it is legit, well then that's good i guess, but only if the maps are bigger this time.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Remember back when 32 was a standard player limit? UT GOTY. <3.

32 people on instagib nivern. Ah, the good old days.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Woah, that'd be awful for BF3. Why? Well...

MW3 max players: 32.

Battlefield 3 max players: 24.

*slow clap*

A game that's actually about large scale battles has a lower max player count than a quick deathmatch shooter. Really now? Awful grammar makes this rather dubious though, for BF3's sake.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Cowabungaa said:

*slow clap*

A game that's actually about large scale battles has a lower max player count than a quick deathmatch shooter. Really now? Awful grammar makes this rather dubious though, for BF3's sake.
But...BF3 will support 64 players by default, and over 128 with custom server settings...

Deadlyveggie

Apr 14, 2011
Doubt it, present consoles aren't powerful enough :( It will probably only be on PC

Saying that, game companies can only file copyright claims if it's accurate information (in most cases). Info being forcefully pulled by developers usually denotes that it was on the mark.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Yeah, i bet you can have 32 players. Then they'll go from PC to PS3 and we'll get back to 12 or whatever it is.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Cowabungaa said:

*slow clap*

A game that's actually about large scale battles has a lower max player count than a quick deathmatch shooter. Really now?
I honestly think they implemented it out of panic. While the higher ups at Activison and infinity ward are trying to be the bigger men with their comments saying things like "How rude of EA to say things like that" or "Had a great time playing BF3 at gamescon" I still get the impression they are panicking a bit.

Yes I am a fanboy, No I do not think that BF will outsell CoD, But I think Battlefield may have done a good thing even for Call of Duty fans and made infinity ward actually think about changing some things around.

That being said, 32 players is probably too much knowing how small the maps in CoD have become. Why there is only a 24 player cap on consoles for BF3 is beyond me, other than the fact that all the console battlefield games (BF2: Modern combat right up to Bad Company 2) have been 24 players maximum.

Though in a small way, I am happy us PC gamers get 32 player back on CoD again. If mod tools make it back, I think I will be fine. Still going to play battlefield more though.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
Oh, so I can now play with the amount of people I could play with four years ago on the PC version of CoD4? Yet the dropped it to 18 for MW2 on all platforms cause it was "more balanced" that way?