Rumor: New Matrix Film Trilogy in the Works

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
I can see this happening, WB wants something to replace harry potter and they realize their dc movies are not gonna cut it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
loa said:
There was absolutely no need for any movies beyond the first one.
The first made money, reason enough.

So in the first movie we learned reality is a virtual environment. In the second movie we learned drums were the only instrument to survive the apocalypse. In the third movie we learned how to use the Photoshop clone tool.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Take the blue pill... take the blue pill!

(Thus saving us from another 7 hours of sequel inducing confusion!)

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I for one enjoyed all the Matrix movies.

By the way, are they making a sequel or a reboot?

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
loa said:
There was absolutely no need for any movies beyond the first one.
Well seeing as The Matrix was supposed to be a Trilogy from the get go I'm pretty sure it needed those extra two movies. Seriously, if you actually watch The Matrix, nothing actually happens in it but exposition. The movie doesn't even end with them getting to Zion, the place constantly talk about throughout the movie. How the movie ends instead is they send out a shitty-CGI EMP to stop a wave of machines, then Neo and Trinity kiss in for-real-reals, cue Rage Against The Machine. It even ends with a cliffhanger of Neo talking ominously on the phone and flying off.

"I know you're out there, I can feel you now, I know that you're afraid, you're afraid of us, you're afraid of change. I don't know the future, I didn't come to tell you how this ends, I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see, I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries, where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you" - Hints that Agent Smith is still alive and that he's still important.

Now you probably know by now that The Matrix 2 was supposed to be Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions put together without the fluff, while Matrix 3 was supposed to be a prequel describing the creation of the what is now Zion. The Machine uprising, the darkening of the sky, the eternal war, the creation of The Matrix and of course the Zionians learning to access the The Matrix. Warner Bros. hated the idea and that's why it didn't come into fruition. More likely than not a sequel will be telling that story. It's still the story The Wachowski's wanted to tell from the get go, they just needed more time to be allowed to make it than originally suspected.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
Adzma said:
What do they mean new trilogy in the works? There's only one Matrix film. One.
I find this an interesting phenomenon, 'I hated the matrix sequels therefore they don't exist' but we never see this applied to anything else. Why not Star wars 1-3, the entire Twilight thing or anything else.
Can anyone explain this for me please?

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I enjoyed the original matrix the second and third where not that good, could they not just accept that they made one good movie and leave it at that, the fact that they milked it for 2 more movies is questionable and now they want 3 more.

please just stop.

baconsarnie said:
Adzma said:
What do they mean new trilogy in the works? There's only one Matrix film. One.
I find this an interesting phenomenon, 'I hated the matrix sequels therefore they don't exist' but we never see this applied to anything else. Why not Star wars 1-3, the entire Twilight thing or anything else.
Can anyone explain this for me please?
I dont know some people think there was another deus ex game between the original and human revolution but i don't know what they are on about

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
God knows the more they expanded on this universe the better it got, right?

Right?

mrpollio

Oct 18, 2012
Might want to update the article "The Wachowski siblings" would be more accurate. They aren't exactly brothers anymore.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Alex Co said:
Rumor: New Matrix Film Trilogy in the Works

The Wachowski brothers have allegedly started writing the script for a new Matrix trilogy for Warner Bros.

Are you ready to take the Red Pill again and jump back into the Matrix? According to Latino Review [http://latino-review.com/2014/02/exclusive-que-que-que-new-matrix-trilogy-horizon/], the Wachowski siblings have already started the writing process for an all-new Matrix trilogy, with early treatments and outlines already sent to Warner Bros. studio. However, it's not known at this point if the duo will direct any of the films -- assuming this rumor comes to pass, of course.

While the first Matrix trilogy ended with Keanu Reeves' character, Neo, in a questionable state whether he's still alive or dead, it's unclear at this time whether Neo or any of the old characters will take part in this rumored new set of films. One of the early outlines is said to be about the "birth of the Matrix," which would definitely predate Neo since he's not the first "The One," according to the film's "Architect."

For those not familiar -- or weren't old enough -- to have seen the Matrix films, it's a sci-fi action trilogy that heavily borrowed fighting and gun fight choreography from Asian films. The first movie, The Matrix, which was released back in 1999, was widely well-received and introduced iconic characters, Neo (Reeves) and Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) to the world.

Keep in mind this is still a rumor until Warner Bros. confirms or denies it, or we see leaked set pictures and such. If ever, don't be surprised if we're asked to choose whether to take the Red or Blue Pill once again.

Source: Latino Review [http://latino-review.com/2014/02/exclusive-que-que-que-new-matrix-trilogy-horizon/]

please change the... Headline? In bold up top to reflect one of the Wachowski's gender reassignment surgery. Still using "brothers" is disrespectful.

edit: OT I loved the entire trilogy, and honestly think most of the hate it receives are from sheeple who hear that said and parrot it back with no real backing points. That's always been the case when I asked someone why they hated 2 and 3.

I was hoping they would do this, and after seeing superbowl commercials slipping characters in, I began to suspect a continuance.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This is Warner Bros, so I'm expecting a mandatory shoe-horning of batman into the script at some point.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eh...I don't have need of another Star Wars or Highlander series in my life.
I'll just enjoy the first film.
(I didn't hate the latter two Matrix movies like so many, they were just kinda...there.)

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
The Matrix was very "of its time" - end-of-Millennium, pre-9/11 existential angst, po-faced grimdark cyberpunk aesthetics, CGI because CGI FUCK YEAH, bullet time, wire-fu, and so on. I don't think it'd be possible to make a modern Matrix film without it being either an unintentional parody or so distanced from the originals that you might as well call it a new franchise.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Simalacrum said:
Firstly, where did this whole idea of "trilogies" come from anyway? Like, why is 3 the optimal number? Seems like a strange number to limit oneself to, and it seems particularly prevalent in films.
As Evil Smurf already mentioned the concept of 'trilogies' is ancient. Greek theater used the format. Playwrights often put on three tragedies, and then one comic relief play.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about this. A prequel is probably doable, but anything after the events of the last film would be a disaster in my opinion.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm happy if this is true. Matrix 2 and 3 were flat-out ruined by corporate meddling. The should have been 1 movie, and not 2.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Ugh....still the freaking trilogy stuff. I hate it that things (even games) are now planned in threes, without even knowing if the first one will work out. Also, I actually liked Reloaded, but Revolutions kind of fall kind of flat for me. If there was supposed to be some kind of prequel to how the Matrix started...that's already been done in Animatrix, with such art and powerful visual imagery that I doubt any movie will be able to portray. Just leave this thing alone.