Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Ok, the PS3 came out in 2006 I believe and now...well actually, 6-7 years seems to be a good console life to me.
Anyway, I don't understand why some people would even consider the idea of not allowing used games to be played on the console. I'm sure there are some people who still take their games over to a friend's house to play so if this is true then you can't borrow a friend's game ever again. Also, what would we do with the games we don't play anymore once we are done with them? The last 4 games I traded in to GAME X-change was worth $88. That is a useful chunk of change for people who are having a little trouble finding a job like me; but if the new generation of consoles can't play used games then we can't sell our old copies anymore.

If either SONY or Microsoft pull this stupid s***, then they are shooting themselves in the knee with an arrow...er, I mean, in the foot.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
WMDogma said:
<he new Sony platform will include a high end AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, supposedly allowing the Orbis to render games at resolutions up to 4096x2160, far beyond the capabilities of most current HDTVs.
Why the hell would I want a console that can render a much higher resolution than my TV? Its one thing to buy a new console every 5 or 7 years, but I'm not going to buy a whole new freaking HD Home Theater every time a new console is launched.
Ah, screw Sony, its PC Gaming from now on. LONG LIVE THE 90'!!!

Plus there still are a whole bunch of older games I never got around to play and there is still untapped potential in current gen consoles, specially the PS3.

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
I've accepted that publishers and now console makers are going to jam pineapples up the asses of people who dare to buy used games (those ungrateful swine who have to pay for other things). I don't like it. I hate them. I hope they manage to catch ebola. No backwards compatibility though? ASSHOLES. Gee, sorry I liked your old work too.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
The emotion engine is an odd beast that is very difficult to emulate properly in software... It is a sign of poor engineering that a 3.2ghz Power arch can emulate a 733mhz x86 arch fairly effectively but the 195mhz emotion engine (with it's various semi-fixed function bits and complete lack of IEEE754 compliance) is impossible to properly emulate on a 3.2ghz ibm power arch.

Programming for the PS2 was a pain and the PS3 is even more of a pain. What sony has done for this generation is asked devs to modify and recompile their MIPS based stuff with odds and ends attached to work with CELL. Moving from cell to x86 would be a much easier task than moving from EE to cell. Lots of current gen games already running on the PC can be ported as-is. Even PS3 exclusives have all been developed, tested, and compiled on x86 first. So the lack of backwards compatiblity with cell is not a bad thing. In fact, it is a very, very good thing. Expect to download "patches" that replace the executables but not the content.

edit:
Kwil said:
When this fails to happen in June, will the Escapist journalistic crew stop wasting our time by reporting idiotic unsourced rumours? I mean hell, if you want to make stuff up, just do it yourself. At least then you can claim some original reporting.
This is not the first time that it has been rumored that sony is moving away from IBM and nVidia, so I would not completely dismiss it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
If this is true, I'll take a miss with PS4. I refused to buy the PS3 simply because it was too expensive, so an ever more expensive one isn't going to help.

I'd rather spend £450(total guess) upgrading my PC than buying a console that can render more than my TV can handle.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Rendering graphics capabilities far beyond what is perfectly reasonable and acceptable? When did Sony start making gaming PCs? Hopefully they've learned their lesson after the 599 US$ failure last year.

I love shiny graphics but the PS3 and 360 have good enough shiny graphics already. They'll need to find a balance between price and performance.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
If they try and foist this no used game business on people they are going to be hit with an all mighty shitstorm of epic proportions, try it haha see what happens =D

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
If this is true about the PS4 (I doubt it) it sounds even worse than the rumors about the Xbox720. I really dislike both of these consoles from what I've heard so far, I guess the 720 is a little appealing since going back to cartridges would be pretty old school swag. Seriously though these rumors are worrying me, why couldn't they be about exciting things that people actually want to happen?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

Awesome.

As technology gets better, playing games becomes more difficult. I haven't bought a game for my PS3 in over two years though, so no biggie....

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I hope dearly that this is just a rumour. No used games? Locked to a single psn account and requiring online access to play? This is just about the stupidest thing they could do. The backwards compatibility on the ps3 (or lack thereof) was annoying enough. If they do this they will successfully alienation many customers, including myself.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
RoseArch said:
Early April Fools. Has to be. No way in hell that Sony is making the shittiest console, ever.
Wouldn't be the fist time

Nah, PS3 or PSP weren't that bad. But as someone who has used both they are definite contenders.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Raijha said:
Covarr said:
P.S. Thanks
You're welcome? I suppose? Anyway, I did say I was just taking a very broad look at it, and admitted I was likely missing a lot of the issues. I appreciate people taking the time to point out those issues that I may have missed. Helps me get more educated on the differences and restrictions that can occur. So thank you, actually. :)
The better question is if I already have all the perks of Steam on my PC, why would I buy a digital distribution, used game restricting console when I can play most games on Steam instead?

I have consoles because I like to collect things and not be tied to the internet. I have Steam for games I can't play elsewhere. The more I look at the rumoured future of gaming, the more I think I will stick to retro stuff. There are thousands of games I haven't played yet.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
My mistake. I thought PS3 used a 6800.

But even if this rumor is true, when PS4 comes out, there will probably be an AMD 9000 series.
I hope by then we will be voxeling full inmersive VR world, and that I get into katy perry's bed. But if anything gives credibility to the OP is the GPU and the CPU, both are very likely to be used on a console launched xmas 2013 and AMD has a better record of partnering with consoles than Nvidia.

That and the seldom mentioned fact that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony lose around 7 bucks for every used game sold. But for some reason people don't seem to even know that.

dwp9296

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't really be that surprised if the PS4 wasn't backwards compatible. If the PS4 had an AMD x64 CPU, then it would be extremely difficult to emulate the PS3 due to the Cell's architecture being so different. The only way the PS4 would be backwards compatible is if the Cell CPU was built into it, and that would increase the cost of the console.

As for no used games, that's just a dick move.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Matthew94 said:
"Orbis' shiny hardware will apparently come at hefty price"

This makes me most skeptical, apart from all the other crap here. Sony said they wouldn't make the same mistake again as they did with the PS3... although with the way they released the Vita you never know.

"allowing the Orbis to render games at resolutions up to 4096x2160"

Just like the PS3 renders games at 1080P, ie only about 4% and they are nearly all PSN games. Besides I doubt we will have TVs like that for a long while, most high end monitors don't reach those resolutions.
Actually that's the next generations of tvs called 4K tv or ultra HD tvs. Here'es a link to a Cnet article on it : http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57364224-221/what-is-4k-next-generation-resolution-explained/

The gist of it is that tvs are getting to be over 6 feet wide now and at that size 1080P actually look bad so they need a resolution closer to the theater level of 4000 by 2000.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Southern Island >.>....Dam that GPU is freaking Expensive... Oh god...I can see it already 600$ for ps4>.> and it don't even have PS3 backwards compatibly Just started to love my ps3....i hope this is just a rumor.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Tanakh said:
But if anything gives credibility to the OP is the GPU and the CPU
Actually, the CPU makes it look like bullshit to me. It may be an AMD CPU and it may be a 64bit CPU but I seriously doubt it's a x86-64 (x64) architecture CPU... they may as well advertise "find the PS4 operating system at your favourite torrent site and turn your PC into a dual boot PS4/PC!"