Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

[img_inline src="http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/43/43103.jpg"]
An anonymous source claims that the next PlayStation console won't have backwards capability or play used games.

With rumors flying around from all sides about the next line up of next-gen consoles from Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115777-Rumor-Next-Xbox-Uses-Touchscreen-Controller], a "credible source" has revealed to Kotaku several details about Sony's next PlayStation console. The PlayStation 4 is currently code-named the "Orbis", and will hit stores in late 2013 just in time for the holidays.

Kotaku's source stated that "select developers" have been receiving development kits for the new platform since the beginning of 2012, with the goal of having launch titles ready to go for 2013's holiday season. The new Sony platform will include a high end AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, supposedly allowing the Orbis to render games at resolutions up to 4096x2160, far beyond the capabilities of most current HDTVs. The Orbis will also allow users to play 3D games at full 1080p, a full 360p more than the PS3's current 720p resolution.

While the promise of super wickedly cool graphics does sound enticing, the Orbis' shiny hardware will apparently come at hefty price. Kotaku's source stated that the Orbis will not be backwards compatible with PS3 titles, and will also block gamers from playing used games.

Kotaku's source suggested that games shipped for the Orbis will either be PSN downloads or on a Blu-Ray disc, which will then be locked to a single PSN account and require users to have an active internet connection to play. It's believed that pre-owned games for the Orbis will have limited functionality (such as a demo mode) until a registration fee is paid, similar to how online passes must be purchased for used PS3 and Xbox 360 titles in order to access extra content like multiplayer.

As this is just a rumor, all of this information has to be taken with a grain of salt, but given Sony's rumors to rest at E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94043-Sony-Backwards-Compatibility-Is-Never-Coming-Back] this year, so we may just have to wait and see.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details]

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Early April Fools. Has to be. No way in hell that Sony is making the shittiest console, ever.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised. Much has been said that the new Xbox console will somehow have protection against used games as well.

See, this is something I don't understand. Gamers love Valve, they love Steam, they love EVERYTHING about Valve and Steam, and want digital distribution for everything, everywhere, often claiming they would love a steambox console or steam ON one of the other consoles. Then some news like this comes up, where Microsoft or Playstation starts talking about making their new console almost exclusively digital distribution, and everyone goes, oh hell no, their just trying to kill used game sales exclusively to kill used game sales. Steam doesn't have any type of used game market, and its hugely successful and held in such high regard. Why do we all love Steam so much, but then do nothing but complain about the loss of used games when an announcement like this is made? It makes little sense to me.

Iunno, I'm sure that I'm over generalizing here, and not seeing the whole picture/all the issues, but, well, there it is.

Oh, but the backwards compatibility thing, yea, it kinda sucks. I'm sure there's some hardware excuse for why they can't do it, when really it'll likely just be oh, well, you can download them off the PSN to play still, so, again, buy your library, AGAIN. That's not nice. I'll keep my old PS3 that still plays PS2 games that I had to hunt down, thanks.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You're kidding right? This is the worst idea someone can come up with for a PS4. It broadcasts all these fancy hardware things and then screws the player up the anus with a cactus.

This must be a joke. Sony can be stupid, but they're not totally fucking blind.

Come on, let us have used games and backwards compatability.

Also this IS Kotaku's source, and I hold their journalism as high as I hold my bearded dragon's pooper scooper when I need something to eat.

Calumon: If he's making it, it'll taste like it anyway! >.<

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
WMDogma said:
It's believed that pre-owned games for the Orbis will have limited functionality (such as a demo mode) until a registration fee is paid, similar to how online passes must be purchased for used PS3 and Xbox 360 titles in order to access extra content like multiplayer.
i see they really don't want to sell this thing, cause if that's true, i'll not be getting one

ever

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope this isn't true, mainly the part about an internet connection as I'm not entirely sure the infrastructure is in place world wide to justify such a movie.

Edit - I think my point is better higlighted by the fact that my modem stopped working twice while I tried to post a comment against the idea of a console requiring a constant internet connection.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ooooh this...sounds like a very bad idea actually. My friends and I like to trade games, let each other borrow them, so that would be out the window. Then there's the fact that it won't be able to play PS3 games, so what am I supposed to do with my PS3 and all its software? My TV only has so many connection ports. Then there's the fact that I like to have a physical copy of my game, not just rent it. I lost TMNT because I had to get a new console, and I didn't re-download it before they took it away.
I'm starting to think, if all these rumors about the next generation of game consoles turns out to be true, I'm going to be done with gaming. I'll have to wait and see I suppose.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm a Sony fanboy but there is no way I'd buy an always-online console.

I'm going to assume this is just made up stuff. There is no way the first stuff they'd let leak about their console was so much negative surely?

I mean current PSN downloadable games can be installed on two different playstations and as many as you want as long as you remember to sign out. To go from that to locking games to one ID?

I mean the PSN was down for a month... imagine the uproar they'd create with this. No-one would be this stupid

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Gotta be trolling.

Quickest way for Sony to 'kill' themselves is to pull the same crap with a PS4 as they did the PS3.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Raijha said:
See, this is something I don't understand. Gamers love Valve, they love Steam, they love EVERYTHING about Valve and Steam, and want digital distribution for everything, everywhere, often claiming they would love a steambox console or steam ON one of the other consoles. Then some news like this comes up, where Microsoft or Playstation starts talking about making their new console almost exclusively digital distribution, and everyone goes, oh hell no, their just trying to kill used game sales exclusively to kill used game sales. Steam doesn't have any type of used game market, and its hugely successful and held in such high regard. Why do we all love Steam so much, but then do nothing but complain about the loss of used games when an announcement like this is made? It makes little sense to me.
People love Steam so much because it offers advantages in addition to those restrictions. I can access my Steam library from any computer. Steam backs up my saves and offers great deals on games I might not have tried. Also, Steam doesn't require stable internet to play games. This rumor posits that Sony has taken all the worst aspects of PC gaming and made them even worse without adding any value whatsoever.

On Topic: I don't believe a word of this. If it's true, expect Sony to swiftly and gracelessly exit the console race within a year or so of launch.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Didn't Kaz Hirai state a few months back that there're no plans for a new Playstation for the time being?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Raijha said:
I wouldn't be surprised. Much has been said that the new Xbox console will somehow have protection against used games as well.

Iunno, I'm sure that I'm over generalizing here, and not seeing the whole picture/all the issues, but, well, there it is.
You are missing a few issues. In part, it's about variety; if a Steam console were made, it would compete with disc-based consoles, not supplant them the way a new MS or Sony console would. If VALV[sup]E[/sup] does it, folks who would don't have a good internet connection, or want used games, or whatever, still have choices. If the existing big console manufacturers do this, then these people are screwed.

Not to mention, VALV[sup]E[/sup] has always taken a very pro-consumer approach to DRM. Yes, it's download based, yes you need an internet connection, but you can do things you can't do with other DRM solutions. You can go to a friend's machine, log in as yourself, download your game, and continue right where you left off, as if you were at home on your own machine. It's a pretty safe bet that an equivalent Sony scheme would tie purchases to devices, so as not to allow such a thing.

What's more, in the example given in this rumor (which I don't believe for a second, by the way), even physical copies lack resale value. Steam games can get away with that because once you activate your physical copy, you gain full redownload privileges from the online store. But in the Sony/MS way of doing things, you need the disc AND the account to play; if you resell the disc, the buyer has to pay extra to register it, even though there's not an additional usable copy of the game in circulation and you can no longer play it the way you could a Steam game.

tl;dr - People are willing to put up with a lot more from VALV[sup]E[/sup] because VALV[sup]E[/sup] doesn't actively work at devaluing their products and cheating customers.

P.S. Thanks

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Yeah, I don't buy this for a second. One would think Sony would actually, you know, learn from mistakes and try not to repeat them. You know, good business practices? Or am I just expecting too much?

But, if turns out to be true, I will be avoiding the console like the plague and sticking to the WiiU, thank you very much.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well this is one of the stupidest rumors ive heard all year.

A home console not only effectively blocking used games but also being intergrated with always-online DRM is the stupidest concept ive heard about since the rumor about the Nextbox also blocking used games.

But then given that the Vita runs mostly on DD, the blocking used games thing might have some credibility.

As for backwards compatibility, i think this only applies to physical discs, because i doubt Sony would spend 3 years of bringing PS1 and PS2 classics to the Playstation Store only to render all that work for nothing.

Either that or the internal division while that stupid american was in charge there was worse than i thought.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I wonder if I could make an anonymous tip from a reliable source and make news like this. i mean come on. The whole display thing just makes me think its a hoax or unreliable info. I mean it takes time to develop something like this so I'm sure there have at least been basic plans drawn up and maybe even basic prototypes made but Im sure nothing is set in stone yet.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
Covarr said:
P.S. Thanks
You're welcome? I suppose? Anyway, I did say I was just taking a very broad look at it, and admitted I was likely missing a lot of the issues. I appreciate people taking the time to point out those issues that I may have missed. Helps me get more educated on the differences and restrictions that can occur. So thank you, actually. :)

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Potentially, and I'm not hurling this out as fact, but what exactly are most people going to do if both the next Xbox and PS console have anti-used game functions?

Absolutely nothing. They'll ***** and moan about how it's not fair and it screws up people who can't access the internet all the time, and then they'll buy the damn thing anyway because <insert friend/family/co-worker> here bought it and it looks awesome, just like people do with games and protests.

They know they can get away with doing it, so why the hell wouldn't they?

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Source: Kotaku
...Kotaku

Wow, it's fucking nothing.
Next time use a reputable journalistic website, Kotaku has the journalistic integrity of a Mc Chicken Sandwich.