Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Tanis said:
Gotta be trolling.

Quickest way for Sony to 'kill' themselves is to pull the same crap with a PS4 as they did the PS3.
You have a point but seeing how they've handled the Vita, this kind of sounds like the direction they're going in.
It feels like an Onion article: sounds preposterous but somewhat likely. I'm not saying any of it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. It seems to go in line with what seems like their current goal: to gradually sink the playstation brand into the sea.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
not that i feel this is completely credible either but here goes....

no backwards compatibility and essentially nothing more than a processing power upgrade as higher resolutions aren't available currently for console gamers, they're gonna have to REALLY convince me that i need to buy this with more than mr kevin butler saying how awesome and superior it is

also i don't personally buy used games (usually) but restricting all users w/ fees for used games is utterly stupid can't tell you how many games i've bought over the years after a friend let me borrow one or they brought a game over and said "wow that's awesome I gotta buy that" they're restricting their user base just to make a few more dollars... oh wait forgot rules of corporate profit:
step 1) screw over your customers
step 2) profit
step 3) repeat

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Now Im a Playstation gamer but no way in hell would I buy this if its pulling that used game sales crap. I will just have to become a 100% pc gamer but it is just rumours so its likely bs.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Raijha said:
I wouldn't be surprised. Much has been said that the new Xbox console will somehow have protection against used games as well.

See, this is something I don't understand. Gamers love Valve, they love Steam, they love EVERYTHING about Valve and Steam, and want digital distribution for everything, everywhere, often claiming they would love a steambox console or steam ON one of the other consoles. Then some news like this comes up, where Microsoft or Playstation starts talking about making their new console almost exclusively digital distribution, and everyone goes, oh hell no, their just trying to kill used game sales exclusively to kill used game sales. Steam doesn't have any type of used game market, and its hugely successful and held in such high regard. Why do we all love Steam so much, but then do nothing but complain about the loss of used games when an announcement like this is made? It makes little sense to me.

Iunno, I'm sure that I'm over generalizing here, and not seeing the whole picture/all the issues, but, well, there it is.

Oh, but the backwards compatibility thing, yea, it kinda sucks. I'm sure there's some hardware excuse for why they can't do it, when really it'll likely just be oh, well, you can download them off the PSN to play still, so, again, buy your library, AGAIN. That's not nice. I'll keep my old PS3 that still plays PS2 games that I had to hunt down, thanks.
Couldn't agree more my friend.

OT: I get the industry has a general dislike for the used games market, but this also, logically speaking, removes the ability to rent games / trade with friends and so forth. I mean, if it is true that this is due to digital distribution, then why not allow us to still play physical copies as well? You know, like my computer with Steam already does? That way if I want to by the physical copy or borrow a game or whatever, I can (since some older PC games are cool with that). This seems like a very limiting feature and I hope it isn't true that Sony (and Microsoft) aren't really considering putting all their eggs in one basket for the nextgen.

Also, seriously? Not bringing back the backwards compatibility the PS2 and early PS3's and the 360's and the older Wii's had? The feature that made upgrading the nextgen of console's worth it at the time? Now I'm expected to buy the PS4 and keep my PS3 as well, taking up my limited space in my tiny apartment, or just rebuy the whole library again? I have to say, pretty disappointed with this news all-around, and it just comes off as pretentious that they bring up the visual capabilities (potentially to distract us from the not so great news).

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I call rumor for the sake of attention. If it comes out later that only some of this is true, we'll be relieved, and it will feel like our negativity had an impact. Can't wait to get a loan to be able to afford it, though. My lender should love that as a reason.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
oh man I think I hurt myself laughing

its like sony is the guy playing russian roulette and he somehow miraculously shot 5 times without dying... and then he says "one more! sure!"

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Foolproof said:
Matthew94 said:
Foolproof said:
Matthew94 said:
"Orbis' shiny hardware will apparently come at hefty price"

This makes me most skeptical, apart from all the other crap here. Sony said they wouldn't make the same mistake again as they did with the PS3... although with the way they released the Vita you never know.
You mean that device that was announced at the exact same price as its completely technologically inferior competitor?
No I mean the device that was priced outside of what the public wanted to pay for a dedicated gaming device.
Oh, so the device Sony never actually made?
The PS3 came out half a year after the xbawks, and it costed around 100-200 more than the xbawks launch price. i remember seeing ps3s brand new for 800 euros(with the big HDDs) and thinking WOW that is way too much.

EDIT: scratch that, a YEAR after the xbawks release.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
WMDogma said:
An anonymous source claims that the next PlayStation console won't have backwards capability or play used games.
...allowing the Orbis to render games at resolutions up to 4096x2160, far beyond the capabilities of most current HDTVs.
You know what? Sony are just going out of their way to make gaming difficult for everyone. In this scenario not only would I need to keep my PS2 to play PS1/PS2 games, I'll need to keep my PS3 to play PS3 games AS WELL as having the PS4 to play... ah you get the picture.

I'll also need a new TV. God damn...

I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
Fuck, even though its an anonymous kotaku scource thingy whathave you, I can't help but be scared...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
WMDogma said:
Kotaku's source suggested that games shipped for the Orbis will either be PSN downloads or on a Blu-Ray disc, which will then be locked to a single PSN account and require users to have an active internet connection to play. It's believed that pre-owned games for the Orbis will have limited functionality (such as a demo mode) until a registration fee is paid, similar to how online passes must be purchased for used PS3 and Xbox 360 titles in order to access extra content like multiplayer.
And lo, did the death of the non-connected gamer sound throughout the world, not with a hearty cry, but with a pathetic whimper, slowly suffocated to death by Sony's ridiculously large bags of money.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
You just have to know what a Southern Island GPU series is to know this is fake.
That and it sounds fuckin' stupid. It would be a disaster for Sony.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Didn't Sony already say that they're not even gathering ideas for a new console right now?

Where do people come up with this shit?

I just found out that the next Nintendo handheld will be able to make you a grilled cheese sandwich, while simultaneously doubling as a unicycle!

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Matthew94 said:
This makes me most skeptical, apart from all the other crap here. Sony said they wouldn't make the same mistake again as they did with the PS3... although with the way they released the Vita you never know.
How is developing a console based on an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU remotely similar to the PS 3 development?

Adam Jensen said:
You just have to know what a Southern Island GPU series is to know this is fake.
I do know what it is, how does that make it fake?