Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Raijha said:
I wouldn't be surprised. Much has been said that the new Xbox console will somehow have protection against used games as well.

See, this is something I don't understand. Gamers love Valve, they love Steam, they love EVERYTHING about Valve and Steam, and want digital distribution for everything, everywhere, often claiming they would love a steambox console or steam ON one of the other consoles. Then some news like this comes up, where Microsoft or Playstation starts talking about making their new console almost exclusively digital distribution, and everyone goes, oh hell no, their just trying to kill used game sales exclusively to kill used game sales. Steam doesn't have any type of used game market, and its hugely successful and held in such high regard. Why do we all love Steam so much, but then do nothing but complain about the loss of used games when an announcement like this is made? It makes little sense to me.

Iunno, I'm sure that I'm over generalizing here, and not seeing the whole picture/all the issues, but, well, there it is.

Oh, but the backwards compatibility thing, yea, it kinda sucks. I'm sure there's some hardware excuse for why they can't do it, when really it'll likely just be oh, well, you can download them off the PSN to play still, so, again, buy your library, AGAIN. That's not nice. I'll keep my old PS3 that still plays PS2 games that I had to hunt down, thanks.
game prices.

edit: TO ELABORATE

you take a majority of your 60 dollar games and discount them based on their actual play value minus whatever time has passed since release (based on a curve that scales up really fast), you'll see folks swarming the world over to get themselves a piece, plus many other quality indie titles, also at discounts depending on the time of year

now see, sure you could do this with used games, but by selling unreturnable, unduplicated, and unused copies that technically undercut the used market and cram the people full with games so hard they don't even consider buying used

(and with every game added to steam, it gives them more incentive to stay with the service that has reliably served them, and has technical control over all of the games they like)

AND THE COMPANIES THAT GO WITH STEAM RAKE IN THEIR FAIR SHARE FOR THESE SALES

and valve gets a piece of the pie for the support, which would have normally made such a means of propagating games impossible for most, even those with money spilling out of their pockets, due to the lack of experience, trustworthy manpower, and infrastructure required to make a worthy effort of it all, and valve has all of this in spades, having fought hard for years to set it up in the first place, and is now the leader of the trend

this is why it works better

throw away the high price barriers, give the companies their cut, and you can grease the wheels forever

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Tanakh said:
I do know what it is, how does that make it fake?
There is no way they could use one of the newest GPU architectures. The console must have been in development for a few years at least. Which GPU the console will use had to be decided before southern Islands series was out. I think the most they could use from AMD is a GPU from Evergreen family. Maybe, and that's a big fuckin' maybe, a Northern Islands GPU.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
WMDogma said:
Rumor: Next PlayStation Coming in Late 2013

[img_inline src="http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/43/43103.jpg"]
An anonymous source claims that the next PlayStation console won't have backwards capability or play used games.

The new Sony platform will include a high end AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, supposedly allowing the Orbis to render games at resolutions up to 4096x2160, far beyond the capabilities of most current HDTVs. The Orbis will also allow users to play 3D games at full 1080p, a full 360p more than the PS3's current 720p resolution.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details]

Right, and I'm sure the price point strategy, which is all consoles have, will work for this. And I'm also sure that no one will just buy a PC, with better hardware by the time this thing actually launches. The fact that the rumour goes with AMD hardware shows that either the rumour starter has no idea about PC hardware, or PS4 gamers will cheerfully brag about anything that purports to be "more powerful" than the Nextbox.

Oh yes, and whilst this is a rumour, I'd like to add that I've heard that it won't support discs. Which will be interesting.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
It wasn't true when the exact same "leak" came out about the nextbox, and the chances of it being true about the PS4 are just as likely.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Jesus, did you not bloody see what I quoted?

"Orbis' shiny hardware will apparently come at hefty price"

The mistake will be if it retails at a high price like the PS3. Can I make it any simpler?
And again, if it's ture then it will be based on an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, released xmas 2013. That means it will be on a price comparable to an Xbox vanilla/360 on launch and that they did learnt their lesson. Ohh... i see, reading comprenhension mistake, "heafty price" here is used to refear to the price of not having used games mate... not actual pounds

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Why would Sony want to render games at 4096x2160? That doesn't make sense, are there even any TV's that can display that?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Lets see:

PS 3 - based on the GeForce 7800 series- launched on nov 2006

GeForce 7800 - launched August 2005

Rumors say:

PS 4 - based on AMD Southern Island GPU - to be launched xmas 2013

AMD Southern Island GPU - launched Jan 2012

no... dont see the issue.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I really don't think the PS3 needs a release right now. The hardware has still not been used fully. Of the two consoles only Xbox needs a new model with some slightly stronger hardware.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
Smertnik said:
Didn't Kaz Hirai state a few months back that there're no plans for a new Playstation for the time being?
It was going to be a surprise...

Also it will include Half-life 3 and a Cake

Valeran

Apr 1, 2010
Considering the PS3, hardware-wise, could likely match up against the next generation of consoles, I really can't see them working on a PS4 yet. Consoles are always sold at a loss and the games make the profit, there's really no reason for them to waste money on a new console, especially with the PSP, PS3 and PSV having really weak starts. (The PSP and PS3 eventually bounced into awesomeness, and the PSV is still new.) They probably can't afford another one of those.

Simplest answer: keep the current hardware, give it a firmware overhaul, maybe a release a new controller and keep on trucking. Then next gen of consoles will likely just barely match the current PS3, I'm certain the hardware is perfectly fine.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I sort of hope this is true. Im tired of hearing people ignore what companies do just because they want what they want and dont give two shits of what they are causing. Given Sony has went off the ever loving deep end after last year, I no longer hold any sort of loyalty to them and really I dont care what happens to them

Though, even Stevie Wonder could see this is bogus. (for most of the readers, Stevie Wonder was a blind pianist who gained a degree of fame in the late 70s early 80s... damned kids, making me feel old to have to explain who someone is.)

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
Ok... there needs to be a formal way for authors of any media to collect royaltees from second hand sells.

Speaking of royaltees, whatever happened to them in the gaming industry? Is it all just salaries and bonuses now? If I where running an entertainment studio, everyone would get a base salary of no more than 2.5x poverty level with everything else made up from getting anywhere from a penny to a nickle for every product sold.

edit

Valeran said:
Considering the PS3, hardware-wise, could likely match up against the next generation of consoles, I really can't see them working on a PS4 yet.
Nope. The PS3 has less general compute power, less memory flexibility and total bandwidth, less IO flexibility, less bandwidth from the optical drive, less real GPU throughput (GeForce 7800 vs Radeon 2900 GT) than the 360... and the cell processor is a disaster to say the very least. Most devs simply use the SPUs on the cell as an extension of the GPU, making the CPU 1/3rd as powerful as the 360.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Why would Sony want to render games at 4096x2160? That doesn't make sense, are there even any TV's that can display that?
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1308821283

Yes... but its not consumer friendly at 36k$

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Well someone else already posted the link to the TVs that do have it but this kind of thing is really just future proofing it. Though even so we both know that they would just go back to 1080p anyway like the PS3's feature being 1080p gaming then all the new exclusives using 720p so they can squeeze more out of it. Also this is just a rumor with one of the features being copy-pasted from the Xbox rumor that was proven false so don't take this seriously at all.