Rumor: Next Xbox Gives Publishers Control Over Always-Online Features

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Rumor: Next Xbox Gives Publishers Control Over Always-Online Features

Microsoft's next-gen console, which will be revealed on May 21, will reportedly allow achievements to be added after a game's release without DLC.

Just long-rumored always-online functionality [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123503-Next-Xbox-Debuts-In-26-Days]. According to the sources, the console will indeed have always-online functionality, but individual publishers can decide how to use it. That means "the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection" could vary from game to game, instead of the console forcing gamers to stay connected at all times.

Publishers will also have more control over the next Xbox's achievement system if Polygon's report is true. When the next-gen Microsoft console launches, game makers will be able to add more achievements to a game without adding DLC, possibly to encourage players to get past tough parts of games, find secrets and hidden items, or participate in special events.

Additionally, the cap on the number of Xbox Live friends you can have may be going away, and gamers can choose to "follow" each other, instead of requiring a two-way friendship. This is part of Microsoft's attempt to make Xbox Live more like social networks like Twitter and Facebook, according to Polygon.

Hopefully at least some of these rumors will be confirmed or denied on May 21; it would be nice to stop speculating and actually have some concrete information. It won't be long before the Next Xbox (with a real name) is official; whether gamers like what they hear when Microsoft finally confirms the console's existence remains to be seen.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4268782/next-xbox-drm-achievements-live]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Okay I'm going to say this is fake and calmly wait until Microsoft THEMSELVES say this stuff before raging. Also INB4 publisher hate.

Though the "limitless friends list" is actually kinda nice

Also another good rumor:

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
If it's true it's still bad. Sony has a console that will let you play all your games offline. Always-on or Always at the mercy of publishers is pretty much the same shitty deal if you ask me.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Social networking and always online in the hands of greedy publishers.

It just sounds delightful already.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I smell a fake but this is a popular rumour and there's no smoke without fire.

I've already committed to switching entirely to PC gaming anyway (rather than being on the fence) so no big deal for me. Hope the console audience don't get screwed over too much, though I've found plenty get pretty defensive and in favour of always online bullshit. It's a shame when audiences are dumb enough to encourage stuff like that and ruin it for everyone else, but c'est la vie.

In regards to current gen gaming, I look forward to seeing the end of generation masterpieces. Bioshock Infinite was amazing, and I look forward to Destiny and GTAV.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Okay I'm going to say this is fake and calmly wait until Microsoft THEMSELVES say this stuff before raging. Also INB4 publisher hate.

Though the "limitless friends list" is actually kinda nice

Also another good rumor:

I hope the Xbox after that one is "Infinity+1."

Followed by "Infinity+1timesAmillion."

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Roofstone said:
Adam Jensen said:
If it's true it's still bad.
Well, at least it's.. better? I dunno..

Not good mind, but.. Better.
To me it equates to the same thing, whether Microsoft or the Publishers choosing how and when we can play their games we pay for. I much prefer the Ps4 letting me choose or even my WiiU and PC lets me choose when I can play my game (as long as you stay away from D3, Simcity, or an MMO).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, why doesn't everyone just wait until the damn thing is revealed.

Because right now there's rumours about everything, besides maybe whether or not the thing will function as a toastie-maker - although I now expect that to be classed as a rumour too before the 21st of May.

The funniest thing is the amount of "Nextbox info" things flying up from sites.

Let's take Kotaku's for example

"Everything We Know About The Next Xbox [http://kotaku.com/everything-we-know-about-the-next-xbox-480112913]"

Which goes on to basically list a bunch of unconfirmed rumours.

Quality games journalism, Kotaku, top-notch.

So yeah, ain't believing jack shit until the 21st.

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
Still bad news, just the degree we've been burned has been toned down, we've still been burned.

Thankfully it sounds like the OS is not always online so at least as an entertainment system for DVD's maybe, all is well.

Hopefully it will fall to developers and publishers to realize that always online was introduced to PC before console was maybe not just because of the slow console generation but also because piracy is more prevalent on PC than console. its much harder to pirate for console indeed! Thus always online shouldn't be seen as the main way to ensure people must pay for the game to play it, but rather to enrich the gaming experience. i wouldn't mind a quick validity check before i play the game so long as it didn't throw a hissy fit when my connection went. And i wouldn't mind using always on in a standby sense. maybe, for example, if i'm on the xbox dash and a game update wants to download. maybe this update contains new achievements or dlc. because i'm on the dashboard between games, i don't care. The connection was there, i wasn't really using the console and it took the chance to enhance my gaming experience.

I'm just hoping this is how developers use this new found connection to us, not for money grabbing. I'm a pc gamer now, was an xbox gamer before hand. i could still be tempted to buy a new xbox. i'll see after this press conference and E3!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This isn't so bad, but potentially it's still awful if it lets publishers think that they can get away with inflicting always online. It would still be a very good reason not to buy an Xbox if it's true

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Stop. Just... fucking stop.

"Rumor this", "rumor that". It's all just getting out of hand.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'm curious...

If this is true, would this allow a publisher to sell a game without an always online requirement only to then change their mind after launch and enable it? It would be a PR nightmare but that doesn't seem to be a concern lately.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
The more stuff that brews up, the more appealing PC gaming becomes.

Not knocking it, mind you (I'm on the fence to buy MDK2 now or later). I just never thought about committing until recently.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Okay I'm going to say this is fake and calmly wait until Microsoft THEMSELVES say this stuff before raging.
What kind of madness is this? Reason in the face of rumours retconning rumours?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
You can bet Ubisoft will be all over this (if true), because it worked so well when they did it with their PC games.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Now bare with me here as I'm about to put on the tinfoil hat, but...

I'm starting to think that Microsofts PR people are the ones starting, and perpetuating, all the "doom-and-gloom" rumors and leaks we've been hearing lately. I'm thinking they're the ones attempting to "stir the hive".

Why? So when they finally do get around to revealing the next Xbox, even if it has ridiculous DRM measures and other non-consumer-friendly "features", it won't seem nearly as bad as the rumors initially made it seem. Thus, making people more "accepting" of it all. As if to say, "Well, at least it isn't as bad as we thought!"

Ludicrous and paranoid posturing, I know, but I'm seriously starting to wonder...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
GAunderrated said:
or an MMO).
Well to be fair the only reason to play MMO is to play online so neding to be online to do that is a no brainer. although you coudl technically play MMOs offline (host your own server), it is kind of pointless. Its quite fun to have your server and allow 2 friends in and do some sort of like creature vs creature battles that you control and whatnot.

Andy Shandy said:
Let's take Kotaku's for example

"Everything We Know About The Next Xbox [http://kotaku.com/everything-we-know-about-the-next-xbox-480112913]"

Which goes on to basically list a bunch of unconfirmed rumours.

Quality games journalism, Kotaku, top-notch.
Wait people still read Kotaku? the journalism there died years ago.

Rogue 09 said:
three things:
Compeltely agree, achievements should be a local singleplayer thing. sometimes a "goal" in multiplyer is nice, but i usually set up my own one (like get x number turret kills) however taking achievements in there is a bad idea. the only online games i play are designed to be online from the start, for the rest i dont even turn on multiplayer.

SageRuffin said:
The more stuff that brews up, the more appealing PC gaming becomes.

Not knocking it, mind you (I'm on the fence to buy MDK2 now or later). I just never thought about committing until recently.
You should, we at the gloriuos PC master race welcome our new members with the shower of console peasants blood.