Rumor: Nintendo Still Not Going With Hard Drive for Wii 2

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Nintendo Still Not Going With Hard Drive for Wii 2

The next Nintendo console may not have the advantage of significant internal storage.

The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles are currently sold with a 250GB internal hard drive, an amount of storage space fully capable of handling most users' needs when it comes to installing game data, downloading demos, watching movies, etc. The Wii features just 512MB of internal flash memory, which at one point caused issues with gamers that downloaded too many Virtual Console games or other content, until Nintendo added a feature that made it easier to save games to external SD cards. According to unconfirmed information, Nintendo may once again be going with the same method for its next console.

Kotaku reports that sources "familiar" with the machine unofficially dubbed either Nintendo Feel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109445-Rumor-Concept-Designs-for-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-Surface] say that it includes 8GB of internal flash memory as its storage solution. While this is much larger than what's included in the Wii, it's still a small amount of storage space when compared to current competitors.

If the report is true, it's surprising considering how Call of Duty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109507-Rumor-Nintendos-Project-Cafe-to-Cost-400] audiences, a hard drive certainly seems like a requirement. Perhaps this isn't what Nintendo is going for.

Again, this is unconfirmed information, so take it as you will. If Project Cafe features the ability to read high-capacity SD cards (or another memory card format) like the Wii, users can simply purchase more storage at their own whim instead of having potentially excessive hard drive space forced upon them. However, the lack of a hard drive reduces the abilities of a console these days, so if this report is the whole story when it comes to Project Cafe storage, it's a little confusing.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5797890/nintendos-next-console-will-enter-the-hd-era-but-not-the-hard+drive-era]

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
That would be foolish if it's true. With all the DLC I have, I couldn't switch back to 8 GB.

I'm guessing Nintendo wants in on that 3rd party gaming market, but that would be a big sticking point for some gamers if they couldn't play DLC because it wouldn't fit on their system.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
I think if this turns out to be true, Nintendo will probably have a USB port or something similar so that users can hook up and use on their own dime. Do I personally need all 250GB on my PS3? Nah. I'd love to have less, and pay less for the system itself. I think this could work out as an advantage for Nintendo if they do it right.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Or they might use a solid state drive that's faster than a hard disc drive who knows it's all rumors till E3.

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
If the lack of a hard drive is true, Nintendo continues to amaze me with their refusal to simply do what needs to be done to make a successful console. It's not like hard drives cost anything anymore, anyway.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
scyther250 said:
If the lack of a hard drive is true, Nintendo continues to amaze me with their refusal to simply do what needs to be done to make a successful console. It's not like hard drives cost anything anymore, anyway.
Based on their track history, it seems that Nintendo knows how to make a successful console.

This is Kotaku we are talking about here. They are about as reliable as Zelda Informer.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Perhaps they intend to implement cloud gaming into their new console? That would cut out the need for a hard drive, and it would give the OnLive some competition in the cloud gaming market.

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
I see online storage and an internet connection as what this might go towards, would be one way to piss off consumers and tackle piracy a bit (in their minds anyways)

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I've been fine with SD cards, but yeah, having an internal storage would be more convenient. I'm just hoping they improve the online service overall. I'm not holding my breath, but they have made improvements since it first started, at least. Still, I think the latest rumors have been somewhat suspicious. So I'm not going to pass judgement on this yet.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
*looks at calendar*

5 weeks until we get the real details. Until then, I really really wish all these rumors would just go away.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Hm... the one good thing about that is that it would lower the price quite a bit I would think...

And I have managed with my Xbox360 ever since Halo 3 with only the 12 GB (I think? It's 12 something) hard drive. I've been cramped for space when I want to download demos or something and I am right at the limit for storage space usually having to delete one game demo to download a new one... but I don't think this'll effect me too much. If it's even true at all.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
Assuming that this is true, Nintendo only users would probably be flabbergasted by that hard drive. Way to stay behind the times Nintendo, lack of gimmicky "innovation" is not the problem, it's hardware capacity. Was Nintendo always such a brick wall when it came to dealing with hardware?

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
harddrives are cheap as shit these days.
250gb for bout $35
1tb for bout $60+

They can buy in bulk which will push the price on them down a bit...there's no excuse.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
I've been fine with SD cards, but yeah, having an internal storage would be more convenient. I'm just hoping they improve the online service overall. I'm not holding my breath, but they have made improvements since it first started, at least. Still, I think the latest rumors have been somewhat suspicious. So I'm not going to pass judgement on this yet.
I take leads and tips from Kotaku with a grain of salt. It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to not utilize the storage capacity a hard drive offers.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Here's an idea: what about putting the games on SD cards and letting the developers handle saved games on there?

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Rigs83 said:
Or they might use a solid state drive that's faster than a hard disc drive who knows it's all rumors till E3.
This is HIGHLY unlikely due to the huge cost of SSDs currently. If it does have an SSD, then this thing must cost $600.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Rigs83 said:
This is HIGHLY unlikely due to the huge cost of SSDs currently. If it does have an SSD, then this thing must cost $600.
I wouldn't put it past them to be honest, They might be willing to take the hit, banking on that this next console would sell as good as the Wii. Hell they might even make some ridiculous deal with a SSD manufacturer to get em dirt cheap.

Regardless, the more rumors that crop up about this thing, the less confidence I have that it might be different from the Wii...which that level was pretty low to begin with.