Rumor: Nintendo Still Not Going With Hard Drive for Wii 2

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Bad idea, I think. At least 100 gigs (or the option for that or more) would be nice. I bought a Wii about a year after release, but looking back, I'm not sure I'd go for another Nintendo console if it wasn't being serious about its hardware. I have a 360 now, so a new console would need to be a significant upgrade for me to switch. If I can get time off to go to E3, I'll give it a try and decide how I feel about it.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Rigs83 said:
Or they might use a solid state drive that's faster than a hard disc drive who knows it's all rumors till E3.
*sigh* while that really would be a nice thought a quick look at the price of SSD's now would drive the price of the console far too high.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:5300|&Sort=2

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I hope this rumour isn't true, but I do think it is. We should get a hard drive. 60gb on my Xbox isn't enough. Habing a 8gb memory card wont replace a hd.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Nintendo will never make it into the next gen. Not unless they give us a Gamecube / N64 sequel.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nah, it would really need to have internal memory. That's more or less a necessity with the modern console. As is USB connectivity. SD card use would be nice, if we're discussing things that would be nice. Likewise a replaceable harddrive would be nice as well, that we might upgrade at our whim.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Frizzle said:
I think if this turns out to be true, Nintendo will probably have a USB port or something similar so that users can hook up and use on their own dime. Do I personally need all 250GB on my PS3? Nah. I'd love to have less, and pay less for the system itself. I think this could work out as an advantage for Nintendo if they do it right.
I don't know how things work on the PS3 but as an owner of a two year old Elite 360, knowing what I do now, I would have gladly paid extra money to have a 250GB drive instead of a 120GB drive if there had been one.

After all the running software and extra demos and stuff that of course came pre-packaged, there was only 106GB left.

I have 15 box/disc games(At least 9 of which I ripped to the hard drive for faster load times), and around 15 marketplace downloaded games, several videos I bought and downloaded also free videos, several special free themes and gamer pictures, several avatar items, and a ton of game DLC.

From last I checked, I'm down to about 24GB of space left. To me now, I'm at a rationing point. I still haven't played my copy of Mass Effect 2 yet, so part of that space will go to ripping it and downloading the DLC that came with it, and of course on top of that I will be buying and downloading all the DLC that has come out for it that didn't come with my copy. I'm willing to bet that after that I will be down to around 12GB or less.

I guess it is a matter of how much a person utilizes a hard drive. I tend to be a saver, meaning I don't delete much. The only thing I delete is old demos and free videos I don't need anymore, but since so little of my hard drive contains those things, it is hard to delete anything anymore.

---------------------

I'm going to be pissed if these rumors are true. I like Nintendo; I grew up with Nintendo, owning each incarnation of their consoles, and handhelds up to the DS Lite.

I liked the Wii when I got it; it was fun and interesting and I didn't find the motion controls all that bad, I actually enjoyed playing shooters like COD 3 and Medal of Honor: Vanguard with the Wii-mote and Nun-chuck. Mario Galaxy was wonderful and so was LoZ: Twilight Princess. I had fun buying and playing a few old NES, Super NES, and N64 games that I didn't have anymore.

Making and downloading all the different looking Mii's and using them in Wii Sports was hilarious(Baseball: Team Jesus vs. Team Hitler, Boxing: Mr.T vs. Chuck Norris). I liked being able to read the national and world news on my Wii and see the Weather forecast for the whole world. Using even the limited internet browsing capabilities, while annoying, was still nice at times.

The thing is and everybody knows it, they dropped the ball on making it current compared to its competitors. That internet browsing I mention was stupid, because its surfing capabilities were that of an old 90's computer. Heck, the thing was only capable of using Flash 7, while at the time my computer was already using Flash 10. This meant when it came to watching videos on the internet, the Wii could only watch videos on youtube, nowhere else.

Of course that 512MB was going fast because of my game downloads. And also for online the thing had no Ethernet port, one has to buy the adapter, which is of course pretty much mandatory in the US, because getting Nintendo Wi-Fi to work here is damned near impossible. In the case of my DS I have to go out to McDonald's or the laundromat if I want Wi-Fi is compatible. I have Wi-Fi in my new apartment, but even when it is free and unlocked with no security and passwords(when I change it to that to test) the DS still can't get a connection.

So Nintendo, with this new console, it better have a large hard drive, if you stick with the internet surfing capability give it up to date/current Flash at least, make your Wi-Fi accessible to all Wi-Fi sources and devices(instead of being so hard to get to work that once it works it then doesn't after 5 or 10 minutes), and have a built in Ethernet port.

But considering the rumors, I doubt any of that will happen, this could be the first Nintendo console I don't buy.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Honestly? We are getting close to the stage where I would be surprised if the next generation of consoles had traditional hard drives instead of SSDs (large flash drives). Certainly, MP3 and smartphone manufacturers have all but abandoned them, and SSD prices have come done quite a long way that I could see console manufacturers using them in the next few years. Of course, this is all based on a rumour (from Kotaku, no less), so take this article with a mountain of salt, and throw the people badmouthing Nintendo based on this rumour into said mountain of salt.

Sonic Doctor said:
After all the running software and extra demos and stuff that of course came pre-packaged, there was only 106GB left.
Hard drives 101: They never contain how much they say on the box. Generally speaking, the label presumes 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. This is not accurate. Over 120 GB, this inaccuracy will easily add to a good 10GB less than what was advertised.

Also, pretty sure the Wi-fi problems are at your end, it worked perfectly for me.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
BabyRaptor said:
Will someone please usher Nintendo into this generation?
Usher? How about kick them in the arse until they've moved far enough forward?
Nah. They seem like the types who will refuse to do what you want out of spite unless catered to.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Right. They're planning to include a touchscreen that can<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109722-Rumor-Nintendos-New-Console-Will-Make-You-Feel> emulate the tactile sensation of different types of surfaces, but not a technologically mature piece of hardware that third-party devs will actually want on the console, doesn't cost a lot, and can significantly improve the gaming experience in a non-gimmicky way.

Nintendo, you are just stupid as hell.

They are getting better though. This is only about half as stupid as their decision not to give the N64 a native CD-ROM drive.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I love how people take all rumours are 100% fact and then proceed to bash companies for decisions they may never have made (this is not just Nintendo, it happens with every company).

I would be surprised if it didn't include some sort of internal drive but I'll have to wait for some information that at least more solid then a cracker floating in a bowl of warm soup. Like we will probably get at e3 perhaps.

magicpokey

Jul 27, 2010
Since it's all rumors anyway, here's my prediction:

The 8gb is actually RAM, there will be no disc support at all, nintendo will sell all of their games digitally from a cloud based nintendo service (similar to steam) with game content downloaded on demand to it's massive ram.

The controller will double as a 3ds (and in fact you can use your 3ds as your controller)

The games will feature full 1080p graphics and full online connectivity (which nintendo will charge for like live)

Orig. Wii games will be playable if you have your wii hooked up to your home network.

There will be full keyboard and mouse support for games that wish to implement them, but they will be released as a nintendo only perifrial at a several hundred dollar price point.

Oh, and since I'm being nuttier than a squirrel on a bender: Nintendo will have, available on launch day, a fully 3d mmorpg set in the Pokemon universe with a world map consisting of every region from the games so far and then some.

You know what, the mmo will probably be bundled with the system, and you can tie in your existing Pokemon save games to your account...

Ok, I think I need to go lie down for a while...

escapador

Mar 17, 2011
What do you mean when you say "satisfy both the Super Mario Bros. and Call of Duty audiences"?

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
If the rumor turns out to be true, I'd be disappointed in Nintendo, but unsurprised. After all, when Sony's PS1 was using CD technology, the N64 was still using cartridges, which severely limited what sort of story-telling mechanics they could use in a game (ex.: no FMV clips). And even when they went to a disc format for the GameCube, it was still a proprietary format.

With both of the above examples, anti-piracy was the #1 motivation. I wonder if Nintendo isn't possibly hamstringing another console because of this threat. Not that it's stopped anyone from hacking the Nintendo DS series, running Nintendo emulators, etc.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Damn it Ninty.
I really hope it's all rumors. At the very least, 8 gb of included memory sounds great to me, considering that my Xbox had a 20 gb hard drive with 13 gb of actual space available. Unless it's like the new Xbox model, with 4 gb of included flash memory space and selling the hdd apart. If that's the case, I really hope Ninty won't go the Microsoft way, selling their own hard drives at insanely high prices.

Also, for the record, yes, while the Wii do have 512 mb of flash memory, 256 are actually available, wich makes it even worse if (like me) you're interesetd in Virtual Console and Wiiware games.