Rumor: Okami HD Re-Release Imminent

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Rumor: Okami HD Re-Release Imminent

Rumors abound that Okami is gong to be re-released on PS3, complete with HD graphics and Move support.

According to a leak published by Famitsu magazine, the updated version of the game will be called Okami Zekkei-Den (roughly: Okami: Magnificent Version. The PS3-exclusive title, which will apparently sport HD graphics and Move support, is due to go on sale on November 1st in Japan, and will cost 3990Y (around US $50).

Like most titles from the now defunct developer, Clover Studio, the original PS2 release of Okami was a hit with critics [http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/okami] but failed to make an impact on the sales charts, shifting only 280,000 copies. The Wii release, which had slightly improved graphics and motion control support, came close to breaking 600,000 units sold. Unfortunately, it was also the first victim of Capcom's box art gremlins. [http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/20/uh-ohkami-capcom-botches-okami-wii-box-art-inadvertently-adver/]

While the Move control schemes seems like a perfect fit for Okami's brush-based gameplay, I'm personally far more interested in seeing the game's gorgeous sumi-e inspired art style rendered in HD.

Famitsu didn't name its source, nor provide any screenshots or other evidence of the port's existence, so we'll have to mark this one down as a (pleasant) rumor for now.

Source: TaletaleSource [http://taletalesource.blog69.fc2.com/blog-entry-2896.html] via NeoGaf [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479153]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
But....why?

I mean there's no way that they can make Okami even prettier than it is..........right?

INB4 Daystar? Holy crap so I am! o_O

Dec 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]Guys![/HEADING]

Just...

Yeah...

I...

Yes please :D

anthony87 said:
But....why?

I mean there's no way that they can make Okami even prettier than it is..........right?

Everybody gets one!

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Just...

Yeah...

I...

anthony87 said:
But....why?

Everybody gets one!
HIGH FIVE

OT: Having never played Okami, this will be a must buy for me.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
For the games sake, I hope the move is better than the Fucking Wii.

Also better let me use an actual controller to make up for my mistake of buying my favorite game on the wrong system. That's not fanboy speak, this game just made me hate the wii-motes.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
When I read the title: aaaAAAWWW SHIT!

When I read the subtitle: aww... shit.

I could NEVER find a copy of Okami on ps2, used or otherwise in stores, and when I found one for me wii I was ecstatic. EVERYONE said it was awesome, and you know what? They were all right. Okami is easily going to be in my top 10 best games ever and I've logged at least 120 hours into the 2 playthroughs of it. Unfortunately, since I got an HDTV, it looks so crappy on the SD composite of the wii. I was hoping they would eventually do this, but I don't see myself buying a ps3 any time soon. Very bittersweet.

p.s. in case anyone wanted to know: I have Okamiden, bought it day 1. As good as it was going to get for playing Okami on a handheld, but the story is... capcom-ized, and you would think even a DS could handle maps as small as most of the ones in Okami. Really damaged the authenticity of it all. Still, fun as hell to use the stylus to use the brush. (hey, would the Vita be able to play "Okami HD"? I might actually buy one if it could.)

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I only got to play it very briefly when it was released, so I'm really hoping this rumour pans out. I'd definitely go for it.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
I never understood the reasoning behind releasing cel-shaded games in HD or for that matter Disney's re-releases of old cartoons in HD on blu-ray. If it's a new product, then yes, make the product as detailed as possible, make the cartoon characters sweat out of every pore so they gleam, every pore being actually visible on the screen. But upscaling old cartoonish properties makes no sense to me.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Dear gaming community:
"shifting only 280,000 copies" - for the PS2

THIS is why we can't have nice things!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I only came here to see Daystar's reaction. I was not disappointed.
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not really interested in Okami, sell me on it.

Dec 14, 2009
GeorgW said:
I only came here to see Daystar's reaction. I was not disappointed.
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not really interested in Okami, sell me on it.
Do you like Zelda?

Well Okami is like Zelda, only better in every conceivable way.

Better music, better art style, more likable characters, the celestial brush is an innovative addition, even by today's standards.

This isn't an opinion, by the way.

[HEADING=1]All the facts![/HEADING]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Just...

Yeah...

I...

anthony87 said:
But....why?

Everybody gets one!
*HIGH FIVE*

THIS... this will make me buy a PS3... even if it's only for this game. I thereby, bow to get off my fat ass and buy a freaking PS3 already. And an HD TV to accompany the gorgeousness that is Okami. I mean, seriously, I'm in my second playthrough on the Wii version and I've sometimes wondered how it would look in true HD. Now I'll know.