*RUMOR* Possible More Powerful Nintendo Switch to come out 2019

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
And any chance of me buying the Let's Go Pokemon exclusive edition just went down the drain. Granted I was already on the fence, but even the chance of this existing makes me not want to get it now. I honestly only want the core Pokemon game coming out seemingly around the same time this might, so hopefully it happens.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Seth Carter said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Seth Carter said:
Kind of like how it'd be nice if a decent mp3 player still existed outside of a *&%$ing smart phone. Because I want my phone to be a functional phone with a decent battery life, and audio (nevermind video or internet) just eats that crap up.
Cowon [http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/iAUDIO9plus/product_page_1.php] still makes MP3 players and their sound is amazing. I had a Cowon portable media player about 10 years back for daily train rides and the JetAudio BBE effects are amazing on MP3s. Now, I'm really happy with the Android JetAudio player that is nearly as good as a standalone Cowon player.
They seem a bit over-pricey. I'm all for putting decent money on the table, but 250+ for my portable music is a bit overkill (particularly when it seems overburdened with stuff like video and TV out that I'd never use it for).

For comparison, my prior mp3 player was the 160gb (this is another thing, anything over 16gb is priced insanely nowadays, and usually bolted to video as well, and over 32 is unheard of.) good old brick iPod was only 180. Until they discontinued the things (now people are selling any remaining ones for 3-800).
Totally missed this reply. You can get the i9+ for about $150 and it has very limited video capabilities. I don't really get the aversion to using a smart phones as your music player because you can get a low/mid-tier phone with a 5,000mAh battery nowadays (like the Moto e5 Plus) and it's cheap as hell to expand the phone's memory via an SD card.

KingsGambit said:
It's a bad precedent and a real negative against consoles. The advantage they had over PCs was a static design that remained unchanged over its life. It meant developers could make a game that they knew would perform identically on the same hardware. Now both M$ and $ony have released Pro upgrades, force games to be installed on the hard drive, require large patches to play and cost many hundreds of dollars, what is the point of them vs a gaming PC anymore?
The same can be said for a gaming PC as well. A gaming PC today provides less value than it's ever provided. Before you needed one just play the good PC games. Now, you can play all the great PC exclusives (sans RTSs) just fine on 10+ year old hardware. Try playing the original Deus Ex on say a 1990 PC vs playing a Divinity Original Sin 2 on a 2007 PC. And people just don't need/want PCs anymore, they can do everything they need on mobile devices, laptops, Surface-like PCs. So the money question is no longer spend $300-400 on a console vs an extra $100/200 for a video card on my already needed desktop PC. People just don't really want or need desktop PCs anymore. Plus, a console is just simpler and it's designed to connect with everything in your entertainment center. Console gaming is also cheaper in the long run; console gens are lasting longer and you can sell games when you're done (it cost me $10 to play Spiderman) plus you get the flexibility of not having to wait for sales to play something you want to. Both libraries are also near identical with console games like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter now releasing on PC and games that were PC exclusives and even Kickstarted like aforementioned Divinity getting console releases. PC gaming still has that ability to play games at their best looking along with customization options (mods) and console gaming still has that ability of 'put in a disc and it plays' simplicity. Never have I had a game where it was unplayable without a day 1 patch and games play just fine as you download the patches in the background. The "upgraded" consoles are pushing into one of the advantages of the PC allowing the player to (at least on PS4 Pro) decide between better fidelity or framerate. The same with the PC gaming becoming closer to consoles themselves like allowing controller support being as simple as plugging in a controller vs how that was just last-gen (I needed to download some Japanese drivers to get the PS3 controller to work with a PC game). Both PC and consoles still have their point in existing yet are so close in capabilities that it's really pointless to argue which is better at this point.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Now, the Wall Street Journal is Reporting on it [https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17935982/new-nintendo-switch-hardware-2019]

All you hating on your boy...
So, how's that Zelda Netflix adaptation? Or the Zelda smartphone game? Or that the WSJ also said Nintendo wasn't going to do Switch revisions, but in fact use peripherals (like Labo) to boost sales?

Sep 24, 2008
Aiddon said:
ObsidianJones said:
Now, the Wall Street Journal is Reporting on it [https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17935982/new-nintendo-switch-hardware-2019]

All you hating on your boy...
So, how's that Zelda Netflix adaptation? Or the Zelda smartphone game? Or that the WSJ also said Nintendo wasn't going to do Switch revisions, but in fact use peripherals (like Labo) to boost sales?
See? Hating on your boy.

*shrugs* I got nothing for you. All I'm saying is that people distrusted the first source of this news (a guy I never heard about) and wanted a more substantial source. I gave the more substantial source (i.e. not some game insider), and it's not enough. These are rumors.

You know, like the rumor that the WSJ scooped everyone on that the Nintendo NX (also known as the Switch now) would be a Hybrid Home/Portable Console [https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9550025/nintendo-nx-details-chips-mobile-component].

Majestic Manatee said:
I did completely miss that post, thankyou. The shampoo has eventually left the eye finally. Or it's gone so far in that I can no longer feel the burning pain. The news may be something after all. WSJ doesn't want my reading it, sadly, not for lack of me trying. I was trying to identify their sources.
Shampoo is a powerful thing. Take care and come back safe to us.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
You know, like the rumor that the WSJ scooped everyone on that the Nintendo NX (also known as the Switch now) would be a Hybrid Home/Portable Console [https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9550025/nintendo-nx-details-chips-mobile-component].
And since then they've been on a cold streak. A years long cold streak. They are unreliable as a source.

Sep 24, 2008
Aiddon said:
ObsidianJones said:
And since then they've been on a cold streak. A years long cold streak. They are unreliable as a source.
By definition, any rumor is unreliable.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
ObsidianJones said:
Aiddon said:
ObsidianJones said:
By definition, any rumor is unreliable.
The Wall Street Journal leaked the Nintendo NX/Switch hybrid handheld console details but what have they done since then?

all of the the "leaks" they've had since then have turned out to be false. WSJ is still an unreliable source.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
All I know is, if it turns out to be a handheld=only model, I am grabbing that Day 0.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
gsilver said:
And the 4k thing is particularly silly. Even the big and non thermally-constrained consoles have a rough time with that.
4k gaming will be restricted to turn based games. With no animations.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
gsilver said:
The regular switch is already pushing the thermal design for its chassis. I have a hard time believing that they'd be able to significantly improve the power of the device in a relatively short amount of time.
And the 4k thing is particularly silly. Even the big and non thermally-constrained consoles have a rough time with that.

Maybe in another 2+ years.
\\

You are probably right but things did seem to go fast between CPUs that were around 130 Watts and then a little while later, they came out EDIT 3 times faster running at a cooler 65 Watts. My Ryzen 1700 is running cool with a stock cooler. Gives me hope that they'll fix this issue with Nintendo. Problem is, so far, I have the Wii U version of Kart, Smash Brothers, Zelda BOTW. Doom on PC, Skyrim too. Only Mario interests me for Switch so far.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Gorfias said:
Problem is, so far, I have the Wii U version of Kart, Smash Brothers, Zelda BOTW. Doom on PC, Skyrim too. Only Mario interests me for Switch so far.
Splatoon is better than everything you listed except Smash Bros. Smash is still king.

btw you might have the Wii U versions of Mario Kart 8 Smash. but both of those games are dead now that Switch is out. at least online they are anyway. it always takes me ages to find smash bros games online now because lots of people have traded in their wii u's. and soon people will barely play it locally either once Ultimate release's.