Rumor: PSP2 Could Hit Stores in Time For Halloween

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: PSP2 Could Hit Stores in Time For Halloween

PSP2 will be the first truly first HD handheld, claims an anonymous source.

The rumors about the PSP2 keep coming thick and fast. Yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106866-Rumor-Sony-Making-PSP2-Announcement-ASAP] came the news that Sony would make an announcement about the handheld on January 27th, and today we learn that it could be in stores as early as October.

The rumor comes from an anonymous, "high-level" source, who said that Sony had already consulted with publishers about release windows and getting content ready for the device. Apparently, Sony hopes to capture gamers' attention by being the first company to offer genuine high-definition portable gaming. This would align nicely with previous rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105958-Source-Compares-PSP2-to-Portable-PS3]that Sony planned to give the device the comparative power of a PS3.

Sony is said to have specifically asked publishers and developers for rich, deep content in order to differentiate it from cell phone gaming. The source also said that while gamers would be able to download games to the PSP2, it would also make use of physical media in order to keep retailers in the loop. Interestingly, this information conflicts with rumors from last month, which said that the device would be download only.

At this point, it seems pretty likely that the PSP2 does exist, and a mid/late fall release date seems pretty plausible. It's a little harder to believe that it will be some kind of pocket PS3, but it certainly isn't impossible either, especially if Sony is indeed trying to snare gamers with graphics.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42499/PSP2-as-powerful-as-PS3-set-for-Q4-launch]

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
As long as the release is far enough away from the 3DS for me to save up enough cash after shelling out enough on the 3DS then I don't mind.

That said it better have physical media, download only would make this a pass for me.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I just want to know if it's backward compatible or not!

And if my old memory stick will still work.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I just want to know if it still uses UMDs, so I can tell if it's backward compatible or not.
I think they would ditch UMDs for something larger, since the UMD only holds 1.8GB and they would probably need MUCH more space if this thing is as strong as they say...

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
LeonLethality said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I just want to know if it still uses UMDs, so I can tell if it's backward compatible or not.
I think they would ditch UMDs for something larger, since the UMD only holds 1.8GB and they would probably need MUCH more space if this thing is as strong as they say...
This doesn't necessarily mean it won't be backwards compatible. It might be possible to make something with the same casing as a UMD but uses a disc more similar to a smaller blu-ray. That's what I'd like to see happen but we'll have to wait and see.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
LeonLethality said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Its not so much the UMDs. I'm more concerned with backwards compatibility, in general.

Like my PSN store games, etc.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Calling it: digital downloads only. And it will (probably) be about as successful as the PSP1.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Well, too bad I just got me my own PSP...

You couldn't have spilled this last month, could you Sony? NoooOOOooo...

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
LeonLethality said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Its not so much the UMDs. I'm more concerned with backwards compatibility, in general.

Like my PSN store games, etc.
Yeah I would like that too, if at the very least I can use downloaded games on my memory stick.
Doomdiver said:
LeonLethality said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
This doesn't necessarily mean it won't be backwards compatible. It might be possible to make something with the same casing as a UMD but uses a disc more similar to a smaller blu-ray. That's what I'd like to see happen but we'll have to wait and see.
He was wondering if they would use UMDs specifically, and I was just sharing my thoughts on it. I never said it would not be backwards compatible...

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
First thought: Too many buttons for a hand-held.

Second thought: Damn, that's a big screen.

Then I started reminding myself that it's a PSP, and I already have a DS, and...

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The source also said that while gamers would be able to download games to the PSP2, it would also make use of physical media in order to keep retailers in the loop. Interestingly, this information conflicts with rumors from last month, which said that the device would be download only.
I hope this is true, about the physical media. Maybe rumors about DL only might be coming from the PSphone and getting mixed up along the way...

either way, I'm still pretty happy with my psp, Graphics don't really matter all that much to me on such a small screen, but if it actually has the power to have such good graphics, then it will also have the power to run bigger and better games...

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Until a second analog thumb-stick is confirmed I am MEH.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Good idea putting it out for Halloween, that way it'll be seasonable when the price scares people.

But I joke.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Calling it: digital downloads only. And it will (probably) be about as successful as the Sega Nomad
Fixed that for you. The PSP1 was similar to the Game Gear in many ways (moderately successful, but a distant second behind the market leader), with the exception that it ended up being more successful due to more favourable circumstances (a more globalised market, cannibalisation of the home console market in Japan, battery life being less of a factor etc.). The PSP2, however, seems well on its way to being a royal flop by overserving the market in terms of graphics and being poor in all other regards.

For a company that managed to find success in gaming by carefully observing Nintendo's and Sega's errors in the home console market, I find it amazing how many of Sega's mistakes Sony has been repeating in the handheld market. If this keeps up (along with Sony's other woes...), they will be forced to leave the market just like Sega was.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
Delusibeta said:
Calling it: digital downloads only. And it will (probably) be about as successful as the Sega Nomad
Fixed that for you. The PSP1 was similar to the Game Gear in many ways (moderately successful, but a distant second behind the market leader), with the exception that it ended up being more successful due to more favourable circumstances (a more globalised market, cannibalisation of the home console market in Japan, battery life being less of a factor etc.). The PSP2, however, seems well on its way to being a royal flop by overserving the market in terms of graphics and being poor in all other regards.

For a company that managed to find success in gaming by carefully observing Nintendo's and Sega's errors in the home console market, I find it amazing how many of Sega's mistakes Sony has been repeating in the handheld market. If this keeps up (along with Sony's other woes...), they will be forced to leave the market just like Sega was.
The only difference between Sony and Sega is that Sony has a LOT more money than Sega has ever had. Sony can afford a few failures here and there.

With that said, if it's backwards compatible with the PSP, I'm behind this 100%. Otherwise, I'll have to think about it.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
It says "in time for halloween" like that is THE time when everyone whips out handheld consoles and plays the shit out of them.

Besides that, the iPod touch can handle graphics as good as what the PSP could handle, so I'm expecting a PS2-level console at the very least.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Sean Strife said:
Tom Phoenix said:
Delusibeta said:

The only difference between Sony and Sega is that Sony has a LOT more money than Sega has ever had. Sony can afford a few failures here and there.
That's undeniable, although given how poorly Sony seems to be doing right now (as in Sony as a whole, not just Sony Computer Entertainment), I doubt they can afford many more failures.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Well, I have some additional information....
I work as a technical advisor for a major UK retailer, the Sony rep was in today and I managed to glean the following nuggets out of him

1. The PSP2 Exists (not much of a revalation, but hey).
2. It will be nothing like the PSPgo. In his own words "We learnt our lesson". My interpretation of that will be that there will be physical media, and it will not be a flip-out screen. Whether it will be UMD or similar to UMD I don't know. Personally, I think that an extension of UMD would be the best option in order to keep things backwards compaitable - like the blu-ray variant of UMD Doomdiver mentioned. I don't really see why tech sites give UMD such ire, I think it's actually quite a good format. Plus I love UMD Video and I am royally annoyed that they've stopped releasing new films but meh, i'm rambling...
3. Sony are not abandoning MemoryStick, and it therefore seems likely the PSP2 will make use of one or more of it's variants.
4. The PSP2 will be released sometime this year.

I also know that our store is dropping the PSP Games Chart in the coming month; for now it will be replaced by extra space for pre-owned, but I suspect that this space is reserved for PSP2 games.

EDIT: also, as a response to The Hive Mind: Basically, the PSP *is* a PS2 in terms of hardware capability. You compare the specs; the PSP is a a PS2 with a screen attached. This is why most of the decent games for PSP are ports of PS2 engines (Jak & Daxter: Lost Frontier; GTA Vice/Liberty Stories; Gran Turismo etc). The main problem the PSP had was not power but lack of a large library of decent games(read: non-shovelware), which annoys me, but I also know it's not the console's fault. Therefore I would expect the PSP2 to have even better specs.