Rumor: Russian Skyrim Map Leaked

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Rumor: Russian Skyrim Map Leaked

The land of Skyrim is going to be big. Really, really big.

Late Sunday night, members of a Russian Elder Scrolls fan site posted what they claimed to be a map of Skyrim, pulled from a Collectors Edition of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim they somehow managed to get their hands on at Russian gaming expo Igromir. Fake or not, it's certainly impressive.

The map features nine large cities, each marked with a different crest, with the landscape between them dotted with seven smaller towns. Surrounding the whole affair are mountains except to the North, where the Sea of Ghosts hugs the broken shoreline. Lakes, rivers, roads, and other points of interest make up the remainder of the world.

And there is a lot of world to fill. Don't get me wrong, Oblivion featured a hefty amount of Cyrodiil to play around in, but a side-by-side comparison of Skyrim and Cyrodiil (which is pretty easy, considering they share a border) shows that while Cyrodiil seems large, it isn't quite as large as you might think, due to being hook-shaped and featuring loads of boring, bland water. Skyrim, on the other hand, features no such trickery. It is a seriously solid block of world, no doubt about it.

Of course, this map is by no means official. Bethesda has yet to comment on its validity, and the only current English version [http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/10/skyrimmap.jpg] may be fraught with localization and translation errors. So take this all with a grain of salt.

Skyrim will be out November 11 for the 360, PS3, and PC.

Source: ElderScrolls.net [http://www.elderscrolls.net/news/index.php/weblog/tes-v-map/]

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Am I the only one noticing stuff like this is always in Russian for some reason? Looks like what I assumed the map would be like, anyways.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I pre-purchased this game months ago on steam, but I have an exam the day after it comes out so i won't be able to play it.

Woah is me. :(

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Yeah but Oblivion was the same 10 yards of Sussex copy-pasted to ... well oblivion. This might be big, but if it's all the same again I won't be that impressed.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Skyrim followed by Saints Row and Zelda and Desert Bus For Hope the week after... all on the same day >.<

I am not going to be able to have some quality Skyrim time at this rate.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Clearly this map is proof that Skyrim will be the best game in the history of ever.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
The land of Skyrim is going to be big. Really, really big.
...And most quests, dialogs and surroundings will be repetitive and generic despite promises.

Modders : onwards, to victory ! :)

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
At least 30% of that map appears to be mountains. I bet at least half of those mountains are completely impassable, and most of what remain only have one path each. But we'll have to wait and see, won't we.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Looks good. I hope there are a few more towns then shown on the map. I love discovering little villages.
Now they need to release the PC specs so I know what format to get it on.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Didn't an interview with the producer/developer guy said the Skyrim would be about 16 square miles?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Poisoned Al said:
Yeah but Oblivion was the same 10 yards of Sussex copy-pasted to ... well oblivion. This might be big, but if it's all the same again I won't be that impressed.
I didn't know Sussex had snow-capped mountains. Well, you learn something new every day ;)

Blunderboy said:
Looks good. I hope there are a few more towns then shown on the map. I love discovering little villages.
Now they need to release the PC specs so I know what format to get it on.
Simple, get it on PC. You shouldn't even need to think about it.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Lim3 said:
I pre-purchased this game months ago on steam, but I have an exam the day after it comes out so i won't be able to play it.

I share you pain. I also have to spend the days after that exam studying for another exam. ;_;

On topic: I can't wait to explore the map~! Hearing about Skyrim in Oblivion (in might have also been the collector's journal) made really excited to visit it, and I was really disappointed to find out I couldn't. (The damn hook tricked me)

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
This was something I never got I've been to places that are much larger and alot more same-y than Cyrodil in the United states. Yet people ***** about oblivion's much more varied terrain.

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
Susurrus said:
Does anyone else find it odd that there are more cities than towns?
Considering what passes for wildlife in most rpgs? No, not really a walled city large enough to produce the excess of food and materials need for standing guard forces kinda makes more sense than a bunch of farmsteads in the face of rampaging minotaur hordes anyway.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Lim3 said:

Hehe, Skyrim comes out the day after my last exam. :D

Plus, I'm getting that super limited edition, which gets shipped straight to my front door.

I'll be sitting out the front of my house all day.

With a hangover, I expect.

I just hope postage is fast.

EDIT: Actually no, I tell a lie; I'll be squeezing in as much Uncharted 3 as I can until Skyrim arrives.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
So?

It doesn't matter how big it is; Oblivion was big but it was also bland and the whole world was mostly pointless, most people fast travelled anyway.

Bethesda said that Skyrim would be more fantasy-like, more like Morrowind than Oblivion. Well I haven't seen that so far in any videos or screenshots.