Rumor: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Canceled, GSC Game World Closed - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Canceled, GSC Game World Closed - UPDATED

An ugly rumor coming out of Ukraine claims that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is canceled and developer GSC Game World has been closed down.

This is seriously disappointing news if it turns out to be true. According to a GSC Game World [http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fukranews.com%2Fru%2Fnews%2Fukraine%2F2011%2F12%2F09%2F59663] founder and CEO Sergei Grigorovich has decided to shut down the company. What led to the decision isn't clear, although it appears that someone - perhaps Grigorovich, perhaps employees at the studio - weren't happy with the progress being made on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. The closure of the studio, of course, means that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is dead in the water.

And sadly, it looks like it is true: GSC initially denied the report via Twitter, but that tweet was quickly deleted and then followed by Rock, Paper, Shotgun [https://twitter.com/#!/Bourkovski/status/145146724279795712], GSC said only, "Sorry, no comments at this point," which is never a good sign.

On the other hand, this wouldn't be the first time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103810-Good-Old-Games-Faked-Shutdown-to-Avoid-Being-Boring] that an eastern European game company pulled a bizarre "we're going out of business!" stunt to drum up publicity. It's a faint hope - a very, very faint hope - but given how much I've been looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, I'm going to cling to it.

UPDATE: It turns out that Dmitri Bourkovski, who earlier "confirmed" the closure of GSC on Twitter, doesn't actually work for GSC Game World at all; his Linkedin profile lists him as the "Head of Publishing, Games Division" at Mail.ru. He also told Beefjack [http://beefjack.com/news/stalker-2-cancellation-rumours-false-say-gsc-game-studio/] that he has "no connection" with the project and was only tweeting about what he'd heard. An interesting twist! We're waiting for an official response to our inquiries from GSC and will update again when we hear more.

UPDATE 2: Sergey Galyonkin, marketing director at 1C Multimedia [1C Company published the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games in some regions] has blogged about the closure of GSC, which you may or may not take as confirmation as you see fit. "GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people," he wrote, obviously Google translated [http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgalyonkin.com%2F].

Galyonkin said a deal to bring the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series to consoles fell through and the projected sales for a PC-exclusive post-apocalyptic shooter based in eastern Europe weren't enough to justify the expense of developing the game. There were also apparently concerns, as stated earlier, about the current state of the game's development and some claims that GSC Game World chief Grigorovich is just "stupidly tired."

We're still awaiting official word from GSC but at this point, it sounds very much like that's that.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
You're not the only one that's craving for a STALKER 2 release.
I'd love to eat those canned goods again... won;t let 'em stinkin' tourists get MY canned caviar!

Jun 11, 2008
Hopefully it is just a bit of a publicity stunt so they aren't any worse than other companies for trying to drum up controversy. I wouldn't want to see the IP being bought by someone else and being bastardised though.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
why.jpg

Seriously though, I hope this isnt true. I want to know who is responsible for this shit. The STALKER games were outstanding at best and buggy heaps of shit at worst, but I was looking forward to the next one.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I SO hope that this is just a rumor. I don't care if it is a stunt but I SO much want S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2!
This can't be happening! D:<
Let alone all the other great games they made!

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Well, this sucks for the people employed there, and it sucks for the fans. Stalker had some die hards. So I guess this is going to be hard for them.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What other game is going to give me my fix of being told to get out of here?

celestine

Sep 8, 2011
I'm not as optimistic to believe the media hack thing but the truth will be between the two extremes, like usually. Maybe GSC will not go on in it's previous form, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Stalker 2 is scrapped for good. Let's wait a little longer.

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
I LOVE the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series!! man I hope this is just a rumor or a PR stunt. One of the few games that made so curious about it's lore and it's inspirations, I actually made a school project about Chernobyl with the help of "Call of Pripyat".

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
"No Metro Last light, I didn't settle for you, you were always my number 1"

This is the lie I will tell myself.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
>An ugly rumor coming out of Ukraine claims that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is canceled and developer GSC Game World has been closed down.
Oh fffff... :|

Setting of "The Zone" is practically virgin territory bloming with possibilites, uniqueness and freshness. It should be a magnet for gaming industry... Why it isn't used more often is beyond my comprehension.

gizunt said:
One of the few games that made so curious about it's lore and it's inspirations, I actually made a school project about Chernobyl with the help of "Call of Pripyat".
Have you read the original novel written by Strugatsky brothers ?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well these guys have had a lot of problems getting games out in a timely manner, and honestly while their games have been pretty cool none of them have exactly been huge successes.

Also I've heard that given all the tensions with Russia it and a lot of it's "Eastern Bloc" and "Eastern European" countries with sympathies are in the process of changing their trade policies given the shape the EU is in and anti-western propaganda is reaching something of an all time high even if we choose to ignore it.

How true any of that is remains to be seen, I haven't run into as much about it (harder to find) than a lot of the stuff I frequently referance and link to about China or The Middle East, but it could be influacing thing like game development and distribution. Simply put games need the Western Market (The US mostly, followed by Europe) in order to survive... with Japan and some of the far eastern markets representing exceptions.

If your looking at a situation where the trade policies are going to change, a national firewall is about to go into place (or become more draconian) and the authorities are looking for properly "patriotic" messages in their media as opposed to more general market appeal... well I can see the issue and why they don't want to explain it.

Only time will tell if we ever get the details, it might be horrible development progress, politics, or a combination of the two.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Don't tell me this!
STALKER is one of the greatest franchises ever, if they get closed down can someone decent please buy the trademark?

No not Bethesda, I love Fallout and Skyrim, but I don't want STALKER to become like those games.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
So you know, I've dropped a line with my contact at GSC and I'll if/when he gets back to me, I'll let you know what he says.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
I don't think it is PR the rumours get a lot darker depending on where you look. The leaked concept art looked fucking amazing too.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Damn, and I was starting to enjoy the series. I picked up Call of Pripyat on a whim, and I loved it. It's like Russian Fallout.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Not entirely unsurprising, but oh so gutting.

For me, this is like Trioka shutting doors all over again. *sigh*

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Stalker 1 took ages to make and went way over budget. What was released was a half finished game, which was still decent and interesting to play, but never reached its true potential. That being an indicator for part 2 hasn't given me much hope to begin with.

ax2099

Jul 16, 2009
While I am a big fan of the Escapist I find myself disappointed at the seeming lack of research done on the original story. The update to the story states that the person the author claimed was a GSC Director does not work for GSC and that he has no connection to the project. As a reader this appears to be a lack of due diligence on the part of the author during his research. While I understand the story was a rumor and was labeled as such, I have come to expect and appreciate a level of professionalism from the contributors and staff of the Escapist, and this piece did not achieve that.

That being said I do appreciate that the author amended the story to correct the misinformation. It is a testament to the journalistic integrity of not only the magazine but the author as well.

My comments written here are not meant as an attack on Andy Chalk or the Escapist. I hold the magazine as well as the author in high regards and wish them both nothing but the best.

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
gizunt said:
One of the few games that made so curious about it's lore and it's inspirations, I actually made a school project about Chernobyl with the help of "Call of Pripyat".
Have you read the original novel written by Strugatsky brothers ?[/quote]

I've checked like ten different book stores in my area and none of them had it :(

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
gizunt said:
gizunt said:

I've checked like ten different book stores in my area and none of them had it :(
If you're really desperate there are English translation pdfs online, I remember one being linked from a STALKER wiki.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
What the hell is wrong with you people??
STALKER is a shit game. A boring shit game.
Have you not played Fallout 3 or something??

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:
>An ugly rumor coming out of Ukraine claims that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is canceled and developer GSC Game World has been closed down.

Setting of "The Zone" is practically virgin territory bloming with possibilites, uniqueness and freshness. It should be a magnet for gaming industry... Why it isn't used more often is beyond my comprehension.

gizunt said:
1. For good reason. It's not overused. Best keep it to devs that make games that let you explore it at your own pace. The version in CoD4 was fun, and looked great, and had atmosphere, but little pacing. That's why I loved STALKER, just wandering around the Zone for hours on end.

2. I didn't finish it. It got scary, and I put it down for the night, then never got around to it again. Well, going on vacation with my e-book reader, so I'll put it on that.

vsove

Mar 31, 2008
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
We did. And STALKER does post apocalyptic in a way that Fallout could only hope to emulate.

Not that it wasn't a good game in its own right, but comparing the atmosphere between the two is just absurd.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
ax2099 said:
While I am a big fan of the Escapist I find myself disappointed at the seeming lack of research done on the original story. The update to the story states that the person the author claimed was a GSC Director does not work for GSC and that he has no connection to the project. As a reader this appears to be a lack of due diligence on the part of the author during his research. While I understand the story was a rumor and was labeled as such, I have come to expect and appreciate a level of professionalism from the contributors and staff of the Escapist, and this piece did not achieve that.

That being said I do appreciate that the author amended the story to correct the misinformation. It is a testament to the journalistic integrity of not only the magazine but the author as well.

My comments written here are not meant as an attack on Andy Chalk or the Escapist. I hold the magazine as well as the author in high regards and wish them both nothing but the best.
theres a reason the first word in the title is "rumor"

op: this better not fucking happen. this is one of the few upcoming games that showed promise, other than hl3, thief 4, and the secret world

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Elgladiator said:
Im hoping this post doesn't get a low content infraction, it's dead-on accurate if this is true.

I hope it isn't true though, i've been waiting for this game for a while now and i've loved all the previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Hopefully it isn't true but now I have a general question... I believe it was Clear Sky that shipped with TAGES as the DRM, what will they do for authentication servers if the doors do close? Of the series, CS was the only one I never finished because it was a buggy mess and I was hoping some day to boot it back up and give it another go.

This is a prime example of why I hate DRM as a general practice, I understand the reasoning but it may force me to do the very thing it was designed to prevent in order to enjoy my legally purchased product (I own the physical version and not the digital one).

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
According to this Ukranian blogger [http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgalyonkin.com%2F] who claims contacts within GSC, the studio truly has closed.

- Colour me disappointed if this turns out to be the case.

Edit: Oh crap, seems their social media manager is already looking for a new job [https://twitter.com/#!/joewillburn/status/145189538006966272].
Well, guess that confirms it.

ax2099

Jul 16, 2009
deathbydeath said:
ax2099 said:

op: this better not fucking happen. this is one of the few upcoming games that showed promise, other than hl3, thief 4, and the secret world

Deathbydeath I am not debating the validity of the claim that GSC is closing. My concern is that Dmitri Bourkovski was reported to be a GSC Director when he is not. Evidence that he does not hold the position stated in the original story was publicly available on LinkedIn and could have been checked before the posting of the story to prevent the need to post an update negating Dmitri Bourkovski's credibility as a source for this piece.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
ax2099 said:
deathbydeath said:
ax2099 said:

Deathbydeath I am not debating the validity of the claim that GSC is closing. My concern is that Dmitri Bourkovski was reported to be a GSC Director when he is not. Evidence that he does not hold the position stated in the original story was publicly available on LinkedIn and could have been checked before the posting of the story to prevent the need to post an update negating Dmitri Bourkovski's credibility as a source for this piece.
after rereading your comment i see your pod, although i hope that the rumor is more fiction than fact

RoboGeek

Apr 3, 2010
this has ruined my day S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one of my favroite game series ever (apart from COP) and is second to only HL2/Portal 2 for my favroite game. i dobt any game will ever be able to match what S.T.A.L.K.E.R did, at least in the near future

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/09/wuh-oh-gsc-stalker-2-dead/
Latest update:
LATEST UPDATE: 1c Ukraine?s Sergey Galenkin has blogged about the closure of GSC. He states: ?GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people.? Galenkin blames the cost of developing a PC only shooter for a European audience, and a failed console publishing deal, for the collapse of the developer

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So you know, I've dropped a line with my contact at GSC and I'll if/when he gets back to me, I'll let you know what he says.
Andy, I just spent the past two and a half hours playing Call of Pripyat, to then come on here and read this. From all I'm finding, it's looking confirmed, but I'd really appreciate it if you could notify me of what your source says if and when they reply to you.

It'll be a damn shame if this turns out to be true.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Pity. I never got into the first STALKER, but I was intrested and liked the concept. Would definetly have bought a sequel.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Ahhh crap. This is not good. The only thing i have to look forward to now is Far Cry 3 and that will most likely be riddled with Ubisofts DRM :(

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
DVS BSTrD said:
Looks like the Skies aren't so clear anymore.
Indeed, there is obviously a big shadow cast upon this chernobyl tale!

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Pretty sure that's absolute bullshit considering they've sold 4 million copies of STALKER. Not enough projected sales my arse.

Gotta be drumming up hype.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Master Kuja said:
Pretty sure that's absolute bullshit considering they've sold 4 million copies of STALKER. Not enough projected sales my arse.

Gotta be drumming up hype.
much as i would love that to be true i doubt its the case. if they wanted to drum up hype all they had to do was release some of the concept art, maybe a trailer, and thats about it for this point in the games development. that tactic worked for gog because they werent developing a game but advertising a digital distribution service, and what better advertisement than having every news site say you were closing down?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Sadly CoP just didn't capture the magic of SoC. It screamed "I was written for consoles". SoC is still excellent though, if you havent played it do yourself a favor and buy it, but install the "Oblivion Lost" mod. That really makes the game an experience.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
This is really sad news, the STALKER series has quickly become one of my all time favourites. Depressing to know that even when the series apparently did exceptionally well sales-wise the developer would still tumble. I really would like to know the details for why.

From my understanding GSC had around 50 or so employee which by game developer standards these days is a pittance. With multiple games under their belt, two of which sold in the million plus numbers, they should you would think have more than enough money to continue development unless something somewhere was seriously mismanaged or this deal that apparently fell through was something the entire company was hinging on.

Whatever the case damned shame. Best of luck to the developers and staff!

rembrandtqeinstein said:
Sadly CoP just didn't capture the magic of SoC. It screamed "I was written for consoles". SoC is still excellent though, if you havent played it do yourself a favor and buy it, but install the "Oblivion Lost" mod. That really makes the game an experience.
How was it at all written for consoles in any way whatsoever? If anything it was *more* complex with larger outdoor areas than any of the previous STALKER games alongside customizable weapons and armour and anomalies that no longer could just be spotted from a distance and casually picked up.

Not to mention the obvious point that it was never intended for consoles, and even if it was who cares?

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Wow..... Out of novhere
I hope it's not true.
Cossacks and STALKER were both fantastic.
God-damn.... Why do good studios close down?

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Awww....
I mean, sure, I just only have SoC and CoP, and thirty minutes into SoC (My hard drive crashed a week ago) but having more games in the coming would've made me more interested.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Get back here Stalker D:

I cant believe they closed. I mean, i can believe it, but i really dont want to. So many hopes and dreams, broken like so many bodies when they first encountered Bloodsuckers.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
I hope that the people from GSC form their own studio, since it seems that is was Sergei Grigorovich's decision to shut down the studio. Honestly, this made me very sad, since I was just looking for anything new about STALKER 2 today.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Well I wasn't planning on getting Stalker 2 when I heard about it's always-on DRM anyway, so I cant say i'm too bummed. Karma, it seems to me.

Still, sucks that all those people are out of a job.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
So this is what a lack of DRm and devtion to the PC audience gets you - a messy closure and deeply in debt. Can't believe more companies don't want this for themselves.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
My favourite STALKER was definitely the original, SoC. It was rougher around the edges than Pripyat but had a powerful rawness to it that I found very refreshing. Loved all three, even Clear Sky, but it's hard to beat the original.

Still haven't heard back from either the GSC guy I've spoken to in the past or the regular GSC press contact. I'd be thrilled to death if this turned out to be a hoax or mistranslation or something, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
So this is what a lack of DRm and devtion to the PC audience gets you - a messy closure and deeply in debt. Can't believe more companies don't want this for themselves.
It never really said anything about debt, and it did use DRM. The closure was due to Sergei wanting to close the company down for whatever his reasons.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
The Grinch has arrived early. I am saddened to hear we may never see another STALKER. :(

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
This makes me rather deeply depressed. I've been a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series since I first heard of Pripyat. If Fallout was my Post-Apocalyptic game of choice, then S.T.A.L.K.E.R was my first backup. They just don't make games like this anymore.

Not good ones, anyway.

What a shame. S.T.A.L.K.E.R, you will be missed.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Then I would suggest Valve to buy GSC, so the 2012 prophecy would be true because the resulting game would destroy the Universe. Yes, it would be that good.

Thought I don't get how, financially, one would want to close the studio: it has a large devoted paying fanbase (even in countries where piratage is high), that's the kind of target market many would kill for.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Then I would suggest Valve to buy GSC, then the 2012 prophecy would be true because the resulting game would destroy the Universe. Yes, it would be that good.

Thought I don't get how, financially, one would want to close the studio: it has a large devoted fanbase, that's the kind of target market many would kill for.
I don't think it was financial. The article seemed to indicate the Sergei, GSC's founder, just wanted to close down the studio for reasons unknown.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
This is a sad day indeed.
Still we do at least have the other 3 games, they were only bringing in the always on DRM for STALKER 2 so maybe karma said no?

Speaking of which, I have CS and COP but I never played SOC. I mostly just play CS with the Total faction warfare mod, is it worth getting the original game SOC?

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wha!

but.. but.. who's going to come in and replace you.

Fallout?

Fallout is big and all, but it just doesn't have as much weight as you do. There's no horror at all in fallout.

The stalker games are the only games that gave me the idea that i'm NOT some super-powerful badass god in human form.

WHY!!!

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Uber Evil said:
I don't think it was financial. The article seemed to indicate the Sergei, GSC's founder, just wanted to close down the studio for reasons unknown.
His reasons better involve time-travelling interdimensional aliens, a mind-bending artefact or miscommunication of his intentions (especially I talked to him once and he seemed like a nice guy, even was supposed to come visit gsc's office soon). x.x

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Well that sucks. Stalker was hard as fuck but I enjoyed SoC. Never did play Clear Skies though.
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:

You can't set a deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag/CP assault multiplayer game there. The Zone just isn't set up for that, it's too ripe for exploration.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Uber Evil said:
His reasons better involve time-travelling interdimensional aliens, a mind-bending artefact or miscommunication of his intentions (especially I talked to him once and he seemed like a nice guy, even was supposed to come visit gsc's office soon). x.x
Several sites are indicating that the closure was because of personal reasons on Sergei's behalf. I also found this:
It was also mentioned in the in the Ukranews.com story that there might be some connection to GSC?s closure and a possible investigation into the company by some government office. Its being speculated that it could be due to tax evasion or some other sort of corruption, or an attempt by the government to seize the companies assets. This is not confirmed however, and poor translations from Russian make it even harder to understand.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:

You can't set a deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag/CP assault multiplayer game there. The Zone just isn't set up for that, it's too ripe for exploration.
Why ? It's just a matter of creativity.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
This has rehashed my bitterness towards my computers ability to perfectly play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Russian demo, but complete inhibility for it to play the actual games.

And their tech support, dear GOD their tech support. Three e-mail of them telling me to send them data that wasn't where they said it was, and me sending it back when I found it, to be never heard from again.

Valkraye

Oct 27, 2008
...And tear was shed this day for that which was lost before it had time to be.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Galyonkin said a deal to bring the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series to consoles fell through and the projected sales for a PC-exclusive post-apocalyptic shooter based in eastern Europe weren't enough to justify the expense of developing the game.
Not sure how much I believe that . . . RUS is GSC's primary market, and the PC is to that matket what consoles are to the US. It's actually more viable to develop PC only there, and not even worry about the consoles.

I think there might be a little more goin on between GSC and their world-wide publisher that's causing all this mess . . . somehow, I don't think a team of stubboron, hard-headed eastern europeaners are going to just bail, not with how much they've been through up to this point . . . even more-so if we consider what they went through just getting SoC out the door (anyone remember when SoC was still considered vaporware?).

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
I don't get it? If it were a PC exclusive in Eastern Europe it wouldn't matter, Most of the sales came from there anyways... NO... Please... Don't do this guys...

Kirtap

Apr 25, 2011
knlfvjbdsoyigföoil
Sorry i was bashing my face into the keyboard in insane frustration.
I really REALLY hope this is just a rumor, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is my favorite game series of all time

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I feel a anger in the force. Like, thousend of nerds scream out in rage. And i'm one of them.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
It has pretty much been confirmed, even concept art has been leaked by an angry and depressed ex-member of the team. (Ex as of today.) Apparently they were all called into a room and told they didn't have a job, their last pay check and day was on Monday.

Also, to anyone who says it's only a rumour? They community for the game has essentially confirmed it on his personal twitter.

Also, here is the concept art, it's kind of amazing and it makes me teary eyed that such an amazing series is crushed, possibly just due to the creators displeasure:

http://blog.ascian.me/2011/12/leaked-screenshots-concept-art-and.html

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
JesterRaiin said:
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:

Creativity and multiplayer FPS do not go together unless you work for Gabe Newell. Even then, you still end up with pretty much the same game everyone else has, only cel shaded and full of hats.

There's a good reason multiplayer shooters all play the same and are all set on brown industrial estates and/or battlefields. Less dev time, less creativity needed, less money needed, all means more profit. Thought and creativity cost more than stamping the same old tired die again.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:

Creativity and multiplayer FPS do not go together unless you work for Gabe Newell. Even then, you still end up with pretty much the same game everyone else has, only cel shaded and full of hats.

There's a good reason multiplayer shooters all play the same and are all set on brown industrial estates and/or battlefields. Less dev time, less creativity needed, less money needed, all means more profit. Thought and creativity cost more than stamping the same old tired die again.
With that i can't and i won't argue sir. :)

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG NNNNOOO FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

This is the worst gaming news i have heard all year. I am a massive fan of the STALKER series and i know a lot of other people were REALLY looking forward to the game.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
vsove said:
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
We did. And STALKER does post apocalyptic in a way that Fallout could only hope to emulate.

Not that it wasn't a good game in its own right, but comparing the atmosphere between the two is just absurd.
You have to be joking.
STALKER is one of the most boring, empty, repetitive games I have ever played.
Fallout 3 on the other hand has an immersive, vibrant, original post apocalyptic landscape that lets you choose your own fate in a wide variety of ways. Not to mention its far less obnoxious title.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Still some hope (use google translate): http://vkontakte.ru/wall-24979668_22 and http://blogs.stopgame.ru/topic/27202/

Really wouldn't make any sense to close down now considering how they were recruiting very recently and a focus on merchandise.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
This game taught me that vodka fights radiation. Now I'm always safe from fallouts.

SIGH.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Segal's blog [http://galyonkin.com/2011/12/09/pro-zakryitie-gsc] is by far the best source of information on this so far. He even translated his entry on GSC to English. Known as Sergey Galyonkin in real life, he is one of the most reputable game media persons in Ukraine and Russia. He has good contacts and can be trusted.

namewon said:

I hate this feel,man.
Very nice.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
vsove said:
THEoriginalBRIEN said:

You have to be joking.
STALKER is one of the most boring, empty, repetitive games I have ever played.
Fallout 3 on the other hand has an immersive, vibrant, original post apocalyptic landscape that lets you choose your own fate in a wide variety of ways. Not to mention its far less obnoxious title.
No he is not. Its just that some people like STALKER more than FO3. For me Fallout 3 is maybe 10th in my best games ever list (quite a lot, as its awesome), but STALKER is simply the finest game I have ever played.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
You have to be joking.
Fallout 3 is one of the most boring, empty, repetitive games I have ever played.
STALKER on the other hand has an immersive, vibrant, original post apocalyptic landscape that lets you choose your own fate in a wide variety of ways. Not to mention its far less obnoxious title.
There, fixed it for you. I would bite otherwise but there are more important things at hand.

At this point it's still not clear if it's a PR stunt or the real deal. Marketing can take many forms and if anything this information has indeed stirred up quite a storm among STALKER enthusiasts.

Assuming this is real the question is why. Grigorovich claims it's a personal decision without giving details. Obviously there's more to it - he was very passionate about STALKER. His decision not to sell the franchise means he still is.

Financial reasons aren't the answer as the decision to close came as a surprise to everybody in the studio, if the anonymous posters from Kiev are to be believed. Besides GSC was very confident about having the funds. They threw money left and right on various stalker-related projects like a film, TV series, action figures, LARP games, contests, extensive PR. Burning money like that is not what one expects from a company low on funds, not at all.

Publishers and their console-oriented demands could be to blame. STALKER was a PC game through and through. I expect that at some point during negotiations someone demanded that S2 should essentially be "modernized" and "enhanced" to Call of Duty in Chernobyl. Grigorovich considers STALKER his life achievement with a huge emotional investment - a rare thing in the western console-oriented profit-centric gamedev world. So when the publisher asked G to gut Stalker for it's IP and brand recognition turning it into something it isn't they could as well ask G to fuck his mother. S2 was one of the few precious gems with an initial PC version that would later get ported - the other I can think of being Witcher 2. But again, regardless of all that GSC was never hell-bent on releasing a console port. The inferior outdated hardware of X-box would be a severely limiting factor in the development of a PC version.

Then there are rumours of government involvement and possible tax evasion. While this may sound like a tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory to those unfamiliar with Eastern European culture I wouldn't dismiss it.

Your thoughts?

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
Interesting tidbit

Here's more update from the Ukrainian bro who organized the supportive flash-mob and visited GSC today.

1) The rumors about GSC's immediate closure and Stalker 2 being already put on ice are NOT correct.

2) It's true however that GSC does have troubles with the development of Stalker 2. According to my intel, it's mostly caused by a lack of human resources. Money, USS, mafia and mutants were not brought up as problems during his meeting with GSC.

3) Negotiations are going on to tackle the problems. The final decision about the future of GSC (and Stalker 2) might be known in a week.
It would be a tragedy if Stalker would not be released. GSC's Stalker is video gaming's equivalent of Tarkovsky's movie of the same name, or at least as close as we'll ever get. Not to be a pessimist but for everyone who's been following the games industry and the steady downward slope of gaming it's pretty clear that if GSC doesn't make it now, we'll never see a game quite like this ever again.

Here's some music to set the mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7CTgHlowE&feature=related

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
It appears this is not a publicity stunt after all.

A google translation from gsc-fan.com follows:

Author: Ilya "YozeF" Markelov, correspondent GSC-Fan.Com

On Friday, December 9, gaming community information shocked - the largest developer of games in the CIS, GSC Game World, self-liquidating. Reliable information that, as well as denials, and not at the moment. The news immediately caused a strong reaction among fans of games from the studio, someone said it was the end of everything, someone just did not believe, but someone talked over the possibility that this news is just a PR-literate way. Many once had an idea (which obviously originated on the basis of the political situation in Russia) - all to protest the building of the office. In fact, such a procession of disaffected could bring benefits - Sergei Grigorovich can do with his company that he wants. In the end it was decided to organize a rally to support GSC, which was a peaceful gathering of concerned fans under the walls of the office, to raise the morale of the team disbanded possible, and to receive the promised data on the situation.

I have to say, everything was organized very quickly, in just a half day. Organization engaged in by two people - Denis Polishchuk (which for some reason unable to attend the shares) and, in fact, I am. Sketched out a plan of action, we set about creating an event in VKontakte, then it was necessary to convey information about it. My first thought - "YaStalker." But advertising there could not bring specific results, therefore, appealed to the fan site of the company - GSC-Fan.Com. From the first minute of placing information on the portal in the group fell messages and new subscribers. As was pointed out me, most of the fans were from Russia, many people simply do not physically able to support us with their presence.

All complicated by the fact that the event was held on Monday morning - in many studies, work, service, etc. (even though the military have supported us:)).

Many share in the perceived hostility, it was a lot of messages like "ololo, shkolota angry," etc. In fact, the so-called shkolota was not there, came mostly students, old friends, for whom "pomitingovat" at the office was one more reason to meet. From history to go by the events of the action. Make an appointment with Yevtushenko, Ivan aka White_Nizarit to meet at the subway station platform Beresteyskaya, I hit the road, since I live close by. After meeting there, we and several friends went to the office, of course, on foot (where the same stalkers use public transport, there controllers!). On the way to discuss different topics, from a multiplayer game, "Clear Sky", "Call of Pripyat" and Call of Duty to airsoft and STALKER RealPlayer. When they reached the intended point (bus stop right under the entrance to the office), we comfortably and continued communication. Literally we came two more fans STALKER, with an official forum of GSC, the second simply decided to join. From the very beginning of the action I was a correspondence with Oleg Yavorsky, he was interested in, how many us, and gave recommendations do not miss the bus Grigorovich, who was planning to visit soon, etc. Perhaps the most memorable moment was the following SMS: "Trust and gives hope to others that the project will live on. Internet - our weapons."

Then we moved up to Andrei "AnarH" Skrypnyk - the organizer of many championships in STALKER, and after a couple of minutes the soldier unknown to me, was very pleasant and intelligent man. Deciding that standing on the street and wait for someone else does not make sense (the clock is already 10:20), we went into the building - there with the April 2011 nothing has changed, still warm, cozy and smells good. They stood a little below, near the restaurant "Le Figaro", were photographed with a sign GSC (yes, she's still there!) And climbed to the fourth floor. In the office itself, we did not go (do not let there be a dozen people, plus there was no need as such - if something clearer, we will inform Oleg). All the time here and there flashed employees, if my memory serves me, it was mainly because of their clothes. Then came Alexander Plichko, greeted all ... And he ran away. In general, we whiled away the time socializing. After a couple of minutes called Oleg, said that comment today will be nothing but happy to come say hello to all of us.

A few minutes later, as promised, we were visited by Oleg Yavorsky and Ruslan Didenko. All at once pounced with questions - "What's next?"

Sadly, the answers were short and simple - yet without comment, to say all Grigorovich at the time. Of these, we were able to pull is not very much information, but watching their reaction, it was possible to understand many things. For example - all that happens is not a PR-action. The mood among the staff is really bad, so to speak. Yavorsky, I usually see in a cheerful mood. Employees doing their best to do everything that the company has not closed, such an outcome no one wants. Many were interested in support and maintenance of the company's server - it will continue, that is, resources such as "YaStalker" or game servers for online play will run. Stalker-Shop store will work as long as end products.

To the question "What are the reasons?" - Response from Ruslan and Oleg little different (I want to add that he spoke mostly Oleg). Ruslan said that it was known only to himself Grigorovich, Oleg same again replied - "Top Secret". In short, the information in the course of conversation, we were really little, but also at least something. By the way, the answers Oleg AnarH oharakteriziroval as "News, Channel 5" - this is their style: say something, and then answer in one sentence - no comments.

In the end, everything went very well, Oleg suggested that hope for the best. At the end, we have continued to pay out as usual jokes, and went downstairs. They all had their own affairs.

When we were in the street, we began to share experiences and discuss the situation. I was very memorable phrases soldier, whose name I unfortunately do not know.

At this event actually ended.

Attention! Further there are only reflections of the author of the article! They have no relation to official information from the GSC, and built only on hunches, observations and conclusions of the author. Anyone can take them into account, and can be considered complete nonsense.

The soldier is really very well-reasoned and logical. Next, I'll just give him and his reasoning:

A) The rumors about the alleged pressure on the company security forces are groundless. If you think about - what structures are in Ukraine? SBU (Security Service of Ukraine) makes no sense to run into Grigorovich and the company, they are not to find fault. Have something to say about the involvement of Grigorovich to politics and the attitude towards the accused Tymoshenko and ex-presidents Yushchenko and Kuchma, which in itself is absurd. All intellectual property protected by the company's values &#8203;&#8203;(which I 100% sure), so this side is also not prikopat.

We also have AIM (aka police). They are, in principle, also did the company do not. Perhaps someone involved in criminal cases, which also seems nonsense (I'm sure that none of the staff to unlawful acts is not involved) about corruption in the I can not speak.

This is the only law enforcement agencies, which may put pressure on the GSC.

B) The second opinion of the people - the marriage of money. Personally, I can not judge the financial situation of the company, but any reasonable person would understand that the likelihood of financial problems is extremely low. GSC has a fixed income from the sale of related products. This is unlikely. Many now try to say about the post by Dmitry Yasneva in FaceBook on investors, but about that later.

B) on this version, I think most of all, turning over in my mind I knew all employees - conflict in the team. Indeed, if we think - to close the company because of a trifle silly, but if, for example, differences occurred in the top of the company (say, Grigorovich's not like any of the wards), it would produce a turbulent discontent of the Trust and defending their point of view. The conflict could be a long time, but not so strong. As they say, December 9, was the presentation of STALKER 2 inside the company. Maybe that's when the conflict reached a boiling point, and someone could not stand it, that might well not like Grigorovich and the other part of the team. Because of this, Sergei could terminate funding for the project STALKER 2, thus "closing up shop." What prevents him based on GSC create a new company with new people and take up the same "Cossacks"? That's right - nothing. Hence the problem comes up with investors.

It is a pity that I can not give you all the arguments of the military - just not all fit in my head.

I repeat: all of the above - just my guess, and thoughts. They can be partly confirmed by an official statement from the GSC, and may not be true, but do not share them I could not. Talk about moving companies are not unfounded. According to developers, they passed the E-Sports team Na'Vi only part of an unoccupied room.

Another important observation. The official twitter "STALKER GSC" is a South African boy who physically can not provide reliable information, and rely on him as a true source is not recommended.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
very sad to hear this.. stalker series have been some of the best games to come to the pc platform in years in my opinion, and even the news that it was going multi platform didn't deter me from stalker 2 like it does with so many games these days.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Looks like the Skies aren't so clear anymore.
Indeed, there is obviously a big shadow cast upon this chernobyl tale!
So Pripyat will not longer call us back to her empty, haunting ruins...

This is a most disappointing development, but they aren't the first and they won't be the last unfortunately.