Rumor: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Canceled, GSC Game World Closed - UPDATED

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Stalker 1 took ages to make and went way over budget. What was released was a half finished game, which was still decent and interesting to play, but never reached its true potential. That being an indicator for part 2 hasn't given me much hope to begin with.

ax2099

Jul 16, 2009
While I am a big fan of the Escapist I find myself disappointed at the seeming lack of research done on the original story. The update to the story states that the person the author claimed was a GSC Director does not work for GSC and that he has no connection to the project. As a reader this appears to be a lack of due diligence on the part of the author during his research. While I understand the story was a rumor and was labeled as such, I have come to expect and appreciate a level of professionalism from the contributors and staff of the Escapist, and this piece did not achieve that.

That being said I do appreciate that the author amended the story to correct the misinformation. It is a testament to the journalistic integrity of not only the magazine but the author as well.

My comments written here are not meant as an attack on Andy Chalk or the Escapist. I hold the magazine as well as the author in high regards and wish them both nothing but the best.

gizunt

Nov 20, 2009
gizunt said:
One of the few games that made so curious about it's lore and it's inspirations, I actually made a school project about Chernobyl with the help of "Call of Pripyat".
Have you read the original novel written by Strugatsky brothers ?[/quote]

I've checked like ten different book stores in my area and none of them had it :(

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
gizunt said:
gizunt said:
One of the few games that made so curious about it's lore and it's inspirations, I actually made a school project about Chernobyl with the help of "Call of Pripyat".
Have you read the original novel written by Strugatsky brothers ?

I've checked like ten different book stores in my area and none of them had it :(
If you're really desperate there are English translation pdfs online, I remember one being linked from a STALKER wiki.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
What the hell is wrong with you people??
STALKER is a shit game. A boring shit game.
Have you not played Fallout 3 or something??

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:
>An ugly rumor coming out of Ukraine claims that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is canceled and developer GSC Game World has been closed down.
Oh fffff... :|

Setting of "The Zone" is practically virgin territory bloming with possibilites, uniqueness and freshness. It should be a magnet for gaming industry... Why it isn't used more often is beyond my comprehension.

gizunt said:
Have you read the original novel written by Strugatsky brothers ?
1. For good reason. It's not overused. Best keep it to devs that make games that let you explore it at your own pace. The version in CoD4 was fun, and looked great, and had atmosphere, but little pacing. That's why I loved STALKER, just wandering around the Zone for hours on end.

2. I didn't finish it. It got scary, and I put it down for the night, then never got around to it again. Well, going on vacation with my e-book reader, so I'll put it on that.

vsove

Mar 31, 2008
THEoriginalBRIEN said:
What the hell is wrong with you people??
STALKER is a shit game. A boring shit game.
Have you not played Fallout 3 or something??
We did. And STALKER does post apocalyptic in a way that Fallout could only hope to emulate.

Not that it wasn't a good game in its own right, but comparing the atmosphere between the two is just absurd.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
ax2099 said:
While I am a big fan of the Escapist I find myself disappointed at the seeming lack of research done on the original story. The update to the story states that the person the author claimed was a GSC Director does not work for GSC and that he has no connection to the project. As a reader this appears to be a lack of due diligence on the part of the author during his research. While I understand the story was a rumor and was labeled as such, I have come to expect and appreciate a level of professionalism from the contributors and staff of the Escapist, and this piece did not achieve that.

That being said I do appreciate that the author amended the story to correct the misinformation. It is a testament to the journalistic integrity of not only the magazine but the author as well.

My comments written here are not meant as an attack on Andy Chalk or the Escapist. I hold the magazine as well as the author in high regards and wish them both nothing but the best.
theres a reason the first word in the title is "rumor"

op: this better not fucking happen. this is one of the few upcoming games that showed promise, other than hl3, thief 4, and the secret world

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Elgladiator said:
Im hoping this post doesn't get a low content infraction, it's dead-on accurate if this is true.

I hope it isn't true though, i've been waiting for this game for a while now and i've loved all the previous S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Hopefully it isn't true but now I have a general question... I believe it was Clear Sky that shipped with TAGES as the DRM, what will they do for authentication servers if the doors do close? Of the series, CS was the only one I never finished because it was a buggy mess and I was hoping some day to boot it back up and give it another go.

This is a prime example of why I hate DRM as a general practice, I understand the reasoning but it may force me to do the very thing it was designed to prevent in order to enjoy my legally purchased product (I own the physical version and not the digital one).

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
According to this Ukranian blogger [http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgalyonkin.com%2F] who claims contacts within GSC, the studio truly has closed.

- Colour me disappointed if this turns out to be the case.

Edit: Oh crap, seems their social media manager is already looking for a new job [https://twitter.com/#!/joewillburn/status/145189538006966272].
Well, guess that confirms it.

ax2099

Jul 16, 2009
deathbydeath said:
ax2099 said:

op: this better not fucking happen. this is one of the few upcoming games that showed promise, other than hl3, thief 4, and the secret world

Deathbydeath I am not debating the validity of the claim that GSC is closing. My concern is that Dmitri Bourkovski was reported to be a GSC Director when he is not. Evidence that he does not hold the position stated in the original story was publicly available on LinkedIn and could have been checked before the posting of the story to prevent the need to post an update negating Dmitri Bourkovski's credibility as a source for this piece.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
ax2099 said:
deathbydeath said:
ax2099 said:

Deathbydeath I am not debating the validity of the claim that GSC is closing. My concern is that Dmitri Bourkovski was reported to be a GSC Director when he is not. Evidence that he does not hold the position stated in the original story was publicly available on LinkedIn and could have been checked before the posting of the story to prevent the need to post an update negating Dmitri Bourkovski's credibility as a source for this piece.
after rereading your comment i see your pod, although i hope that the rumor is more fiction than fact

RoboGeek

Apr 3, 2010
this has ruined my day S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one of my favroite game series ever (apart from COP) and is second to only HL2/Portal 2 for my favroite game. i dobt any game will ever be able to match what S.T.A.L.K.E.R did, at least in the near future

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/09/wuh-oh-gsc-stalker-2-dead/
Latest update:
LATEST UPDATE: 1c Ukraine?s Sergey Galenkin has blogged about the closure of GSC. He states: ?GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people.? Galenkin blames the cost of developing a PC only shooter for a European audience, and a failed console publishing deal, for the collapse of the developer

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So you know, I've dropped a line with my contact at GSC and I'll if/when he gets back to me, I'll let you know what he says.
Andy, I just spent the past two and a half hours playing Call of Pripyat, to then come on here and read this. From all I'm finding, it's looking confirmed, but I'd really appreciate it if you could notify me of what your source says if and when they reply to you.

It'll be a damn shame if this turns out to be true.