Rumor: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Canceled, GSC Game World Closed - UPDATED

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Pity. I never got into the first STALKER, but I was intrested and liked the concept. Would definetly have bought a sequel.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Ahhh crap. This is not good. The only thing i have to look forward to now is Far Cry 3 and that will most likely be riddled with Ubisofts DRM :(

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Pretty sure that's absolute bullshit considering they've sold 4 million copies of STALKER. Not enough projected sales my arse.

Gotta be drumming up hype.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Master Kuja said:
Pretty sure that's absolute bullshit considering they've sold 4 million copies of STALKER. Not enough projected sales my arse.

Gotta be drumming up hype.
much as i would love that to be true i doubt its the case. if they wanted to drum up hype all they had to do was release some of the concept art, maybe a trailer, and thats about it for this point in the games development. that tactic worked for gog because they werent developing a game but advertising a digital distribution service, and what better advertisement than having every news site say you were closing down?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Sadly CoP just didn't capture the magic of SoC. It screamed "I was written for consoles". SoC is still excellent though, if you havent played it do yourself a favor and buy it, but install the "Oblivion Lost" mod. That really makes the game an experience.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
This is really sad news, the STALKER series has quickly become one of my all time favourites. Depressing to know that even when the series apparently did exceptionally well sales-wise the developer would still tumble. I really would like to know the details for why.

From my understanding GSC had around 50 or so employee which by game developer standards these days is a pittance. With multiple games under their belt, two of which sold in the million plus numbers, they should you would think have more than enough money to continue development unless something somewhere was seriously mismanaged or this deal that apparently fell through was something the entire company was hinging on.

Whatever the case damned shame. Best of luck to the developers and staff!

rembrandtqeinstein said:
Sadly CoP just didn't capture the magic of SoC. It screamed "I was written for consoles". SoC is still excellent though, if you havent played it do yourself a favor and buy it, but install the "Oblivion Lost" mod. That really makes the game an experience.
How was it at all written for consoles in any way whatsoever? If anything it was *more* complex with larger outdoor areas than any of the previous STALKER games alongside customizable weapons and armour and anomalies that no longer could just be spotted from a distance and casually picked up.

Not to mention the obvious point that it was never intended for consoles, and even if it was who cares?

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Wow..... Out of novhere
I hope it's not true.
Cossacks and STALKER were both fantastic.
God-damn.... Why do good studios close down?

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Awww....
I mean, sure, I just only have SoC and CoP, and thirty minutes into SoC (My hard drive crashed a week ago) but having more games in the coming would've made me more interested.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Get back here Stalker D:

I cant believe they closed. I mean, i can believe it, but i really dont want to. So many hopes and dreams, broken like so many bodies when they first encountered Bloodsuckers.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
I hope that the people from GSC form their own studio, since it seems that is was Sergei Grigorovich's decision to shut down the studio. Honestly, this made me very sad, since I was just looking for anything new about STALKER 2 today.