Rumor: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Canceled, GSC Game World Closed - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
My favourite STALKER was definitely the original, SoC. It was rougher around the edges than Pripyat but had a powerful rawness to it that I found very refreshing. Loved all three, even Clear Sky, but it's hard to beat the original.

Still haven't heard back from either the GSC guy I've spoken to in the past or the regular GSC press contact. I'd be thrilled to death if this turned out to be a hoax or mistranslation or something, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
So this is what a lack of DRm and devtion to the PC audience gets you - a messy closure and deeply in debt. Can't believe more companies don't want this for themselves.
It never really said anything about debt, and it did use DRM. The closure was due to Sergei wanting to close the company down for whatever his reasons.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
The Grinch has arrived early. I am saddened to hear we may never see another STALKER. :(

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
This makes me rather deeply depressed. I've been a fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series since I first heard of Pripyat. If Fallout was my Post-Apocalyptic game of choice, then S.T.A.L.K.E.R was my first backup. They just don't make games like this anymore.

Not good ones, anyway.

What a shame. S.T.A.L.K.E.R, you will be missed.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Then I would suggest Valve to buy GSC, so the 2012 prophecy would be true because the resulting game would destroy the Universe. Yes, it would be that good.

Thought I don't get how, financially, one would want to close the studio: it has a large devoted paying fanbase (even in countries where piratage is high), that's the kind of target market many would kill for.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Then I would suggest Valve to buy GSC, then the 2012 prophecy would be true because the resulting game would destroy the Universe. Yes, it would be that good.

Thought I don't get how, financially, one would want to close the studio: it has a large devoted fanbase, that's the kind of target market many would kill for.
I don't think it was financial. The article seemed to indicate the Sergei, GSC's founder, just wanted to close down the studio for reasons unknown.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
This is a sad day indeed.
Still we do at least have the other 3 games, they were only bringing in the always on DRM for STALKER 2 so maybe karma said no?

Speaking of which, I have CS and COP but I never played SOC. I mostly just play CS with the Total faction warfare mod, is it worth getting the original game SOC?

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wha!

but.. but.. who's going to come in and replace you.

Fallout?

Fallout is big and all, but it just doesn't have as much weight as you do. There's no horror at all in fallout.

The stalker games are the only games that gave me the idea that i'm NOT some super-powerful badass god in human form.

WHY!!!

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Uber Evil said:
I don't think it was financial. The article seemed to indicate the Sergei, GSC's founder, just wanted to close down the studio for reasons unknown.
His reasons better involve time-travelling interdimensional aliens, a mind-bending artefact or miscommunication of his intentions (especially I talked to him once and he seemed like a nice guy, even was supposed to come visit gsc's office soon). x.x

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
wildpeaks said:
Uber Evil said:
His reasons better involve time-travelling interdimensional aliens, a mind-bending artefact or miscommunication of his intentions (especially I talked to him once and he seemed like a nice guy, even was supposed to come visit gsc's office soon). x.x
Several sites are indicating that the closure was because of personal reasons on Sergei's behalf. I also found this:
It was also mentioned in the in the Ukranews.com story that there might be some connection to GSC?s closure and a possible investigation into the company by some government office. Its being speculated that it could be due to tax evasion or some other sort of corruption, or an attempt by the government to seize the companies assets. This is not confirmed however, and poor translations from Russian make it even harder to understand.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
TestECull said:
JesterRaiin said:
Andy Chalk said:
>An ugly rumor coming out of Ukraine claims that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is canceled and developer GSC Game World has been closed down.
Oh fffff... :|

Setting of "The Zone" is practically virgin territory bloming with possibilites, uniqueness and freshness. It should be a magnet for gaming industry... Why it isn't used more often is beyond my comprehension.
You can't set a deathmatch/team deathmatch/capture the flag/CP assault multiplayer game there. The Zone just isn't set up for that, it's too ripe for exploration.
Why ? It's just a matter of creativity.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
This has rehashed my bitterness towards my computers ability to perfectly play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Russian demo, but complete inhibility for it to play the actual games.

And their tech support, dear GOD their tech support. Three e-mail of them telling me to send them data that wasn't where they said it was, and me sending it back when I found it, to be never heard from again.

Valkraye

Oct 27, 2008
...And tear was shed this day for that which was lost before it had time to be.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Galyonkin said a deal to bring the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series to consoles fell through and the projected sales for a PC-exclusive post-apocalyptic shooter based in eastern Europe weren't enough to justify the expense of developing the game.
Not sure how much I believe that . . . RUS is GSC's primary market, and the PC is to that matket what consoles are to the US. It's actually more viable to develop PC only there, and not even worry about the consoles.

I think there might be a little more goin on between GSC and their world-wide publisher that's causing all this mess . . . somehow, I don't think a team of stubboron, hard-headed eastern europeaners are going to just bail, not with how much they've been through up to this point . . . even more-so if we consider what they went through just getting SoC out the door (anyone remember when SoC was still considered vaporware?).

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
I don't get it? If it were a PC exclusive in Eastern Europe it wouldn't matter, Most of the sales came from there anyways... NO... Please... Don't do this guys...

Kirtap

Apr 25, 2011
knlfvjbdsoyigföoil
Sorry i was bashing my face into the keyboard in insane frustration.
I really REALLY hope this is just a rumor, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is my favorite game series of all time