Rumor: Sega Preparing Sonic for Natal Debut

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Sega Preparing Sonic for Natal Debut

One of gaming's most popular franchises is rumored to be making an entry into Microsoft's motion-controlled future world.

Guess what Sonic fans? Did you think that the really Joystiq [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100818-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-4-Delayed] that this may not be the case, and that Natal is involved.

Before you strap on those new red sneakers and prepare to destroy your throw rug by running in circles, the game Sega is rumored to be developing for Natal is called Sonic Free Riders. Yeah, it's a new entry in the Sonic Riders [http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Riders-Playstation-2/dp/B000C4088I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1276202197&sr=1-1-fkmr0] series, a hover-board racing game previously seen on the PlayStation 2 and the Wii. But hey, it's still a Sonic game!

Sonic Free Riders, if it turns out to be more than a rumor, will be motion-controlled through Microsoft's Project Natal camera system. Players will somehow steer with nothing but their own bodies, collect weapons by reaching out, and attack other racers by motioning towards them. If it turns out to be a two-player game, I'm envisioning a few 10-year-olds with bruises and black eyes when this "motioning" turns into punches and dropkicks aimed at friends.

Free Riders isn't the Natal bombshell we might have all been hoping for, but it's a good indication that we'll see more than mini-game collections to use Natal with. I still don't think Sonic Free Riders will justify Natal's also rumored $149 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100957-Natal-Expected-to-Stab-Gamers-in-the-Wallet-at-149] price, which almost seems way too high to be true at this point. Maybe Sonic Low Riders, or Sonic Ghost Riders of the Whip, but not Sonic Riders translated to a controller-less motion game. Then again, who knows, maybe Sonic Free Riders will be an amazingly fun title and will show off the true genius of Natal.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/02/rumor-natal-compatible-sonic-free-riders-coming-to-xbla]

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Sonic: Please.. Kill me......
SEGA: Nonsence!, Now dance, DANCE FOR THE CROWDS!!

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Hey, I loved the free rider games! At least, the one that my friend owned. I found them fun little grindfests :)

Still probably not getting Natal though.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Before you strap on those new red sneakers and prepare to destroy your throw rug by running in circles, the game Sega is rumored to be developing for Natal is called Sonic Free Riders.
This was Microsoft's chance to throw its hat into both the "video games as exercise" and "blue hedgehog simulator" rings, and they blew it.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
It sounds... awful.

I've never felt that Sonic works in a 3D game. Now we have a 3D game with motion controls?

That doesn't sound like a good blend to me.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
Wow, as if Sonic wasn't sucking hard already, Now he's getting on that retarded fucking natal thing.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Sonic, what have they done with you. I loved you so much when I had my Genesis

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
150?!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm broke enough as is Microsoft!

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Sonic Riders wasn't that bad, but unlocking things in it was grindy and the difficulty could be massively inconsistent later in the story mode due to insane rubberband AI.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Strike me with the ban-hammer if you must because this post has nothing to do with the article:

I just want to point out how awesome I think it is that even though Project Natal has officially been named Wave, article writers like thee above still call it Natal xD

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I just go the mental image of obese ten year olds trying to run as fast as Sonic in their living rooms. This has made my day :)

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Oh, Riders... For a second there I thought they were using the Wii Sonic format of him constantly moving since it simplified controls. Not that the formula has made a good game, but Sonic in general really hasn't. At least this time, they'll have new hardware to blame.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Sonic was used to be cool. Now he's like Mario. Oh well.

But 3d Sonic? How many times did they experiment with that method?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Hubilub said:
It sounds... awful.

I've never felt that Sonic works in a 3D game. Now we have a 3D game with motion controls?

That doesn't sound like a good blend to me.
Depending on how Natal ends up going, Sonic might be the perfect mascot for it. You know, something that should be killed being the posterboy for something that should never have been born. :)

Ahhh, I kid I like the idea of Natal and I hope it does brilliantly, at a cheaper price than £150. I just like finding any excuse to laugh at Sonics expense, it's just so easy. And shit. Incredibly shit.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I think this is the perfect match made in heaven. Think about it.

Pretty much only crazy people would want to jump around like a maniac in their house for the sake of relaxation with videogames.
Sonic fans have been proven to be a fair bit crazy with things like boycotting Sonic 4 by buying other SEGA games instead.

Makes sense to me! :)