Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

If you've ever wondered who'd win in a fistfight between Nathan Drake and Parappa the Rapper, you might finally get a chance to find out.

Sometime back in late October, a blog by the name of The Paul Gale Network began reporting on an upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusive, (code)named Title Fight. According to the blog's author (Paul Gale, if you couldn't guess), the game in question is a brawl-style fighter that will match an assortment of warriors across a variety of stages in mortal combat. So far, nothing to churn the rumor mill over, right? Well, here's the catch: Supposedly, Title Fight's entire roster will draw only from Sony's exclusive properties, à la Nintendo's ever-popular Super Smash Brothers series.

Normally, when big rumors about big news crop up from small websites, it would be little more than wishful thinking for gamers to believe them. After all, news of something like an Elder Scrolls: Argonian Kart Racing game probably isn't going to break on some high schooler's tumblr account. Still, four weeks after his first report, Paul Gale's rumor is growing serious legs.

Reportedly, Gale is friends with (or at least has some dirt on) a high-profile inside source at the supposed game's developer, SuperBot Entertainment, from whom he gets all his information. A little digging by the internet revealed that SuperBot is an exclusive developer for Sony Computer Entertainment America, and is, indeed, currently at work on a secret exclusive title for them. It's also been uncovered that SuperBot job postings of late have all listed a desire for "experience with fighting games," but that's not all. Gale has been busy posting pictures of the development team shot from inside their offices, details of fighters, modes, and even a screen grab of the first character rendering, which you can see above. He's even linked to developer Twitter feeds which seem to perfectly coincide with his details.

If Gale is to be believed, the lineup will include over twenty characters, including Kratos, Parappa the Rapper, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess, Colonel Mael Radec and Sweet Tooth. There's even talk about the possibility of James Bond making an appearance (which might make sense considering Sony's involvement in the upcoming Bond film). Each of these characters will have three levels of "super moves" (which Gale promises to have a screen-grab of soon), including Sweet Tooth morphing into some sort of ice cream truck mech.

The stages revealed thus far include Jak & Daxter's Sandover Village (which may imply a Jak and/or Daxter character option), a Hot Shots golf course, and LittleBigPlanet. Could that mean a hypothetical Sackboy fighter in this hypothetical game? I'm hypothetically intrigued.

One of the most interesting components of this leak is that no one has fixed the faucet. In fact, it seems as though every time SuperBot knows something, Gale's database of info just grows in tandem. You can keep up with the story on Gale's frequently updated blog here [http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/27/superbot-entertainment-is-developing-title-fight-first-screens-james-bond-update-and-more-info-within/], and see for yourself if you think Title Fight is fact or fiction. In the meantime, what do you think Escapists? Who would you like to see duel to the death if Title Fight becomes reality?

Source: IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213409p1.html]

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Ico vs. Wander. Finally, we would find out which is the bigger badass...

OT: I was actually hoping something like this would happen. Can't wait, if it's true...

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
As a huge smash fan my knee jerk reaction was a bit of spite that the idea was being copied. Then I realized this is actually good news. If Sony releases a competitor product--on different a system, sure--I feel there would be pressure on Nintendo to fix some of the irritating problems with Smash games, e.g. no more godforsaken clone characters, and take their product more seriously.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hahaha, Kratos vs Parappa the Rapper..............

"Yatatatatooo-taaaaaaaa, Kick, punch, your knifes in my mind...."

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Sweet Tooth vs. Sackboy! A re-match from the 'Michael' commercial!

Sounds kinda cool actually.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
I hope Ratchet and maybe an FF character are confirmed. That would make my PS3 experience complete.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
An announcement like this is likely to attract a lot of hate, Given that its a clone or something awesome.

But shit, I want it so Badly!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TLS14 said:
I hope Ratchet and maybe an FF character are confirmed. That would make my PS3 experience complete.
Ratchet vs. Jak.

Daxter vs. Clank.

The final showdown!

TheLastSamurai14

Mar 23, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
TLS14 said:
Ratchet vs. Jak.

Daxter vs. Clank.

The final showdown!
Exactly.

And now to avoid a low content post, I will add that seeing Cloud or Zidane in this game would be amazing. Then again, I'm of the opinion that the Dissidia games need to be ported to PS3, so...

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
My gut reaction to this is... -yawn-.

But after reading it I think I might have over-reacted.

Smash brothers has been copied several times. The problem is, these copies tend to involve characters nobody cares about.

The appeal of the smash brothers series has less to do with the gameplay, and more to to with the character roster. Sure, the gameplay matters, but at the end of the day, without the appeal of the characters (and a lot of background nostalgia), the series wouldn't have worked.

So... My reaction to Sony trying this is...

Do they have any interesting characters to work with? And that's why I initially thought it seems like a concept that wouldn't work.

But I guess the article proves me wrong. Sort of.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TLS14 said:
Casual Shinji said:
TLS14 said:
Ratchet vs. Jak.

Daxter vs. Clank.

The final showdown!
Exactly.

And now to avoid a low content post, I will add that seeing Cloud or Zidane in this game would be amazing. Then again, I'm of the opinion that the Dissidia games need to be ported to PS3, so...
Crash Bandicoot vs. Spyro.

Nemesis vs. Pyramid Head.

Harry Mason vs. James Sunderland.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
How many exclusive titles does the ps3 have at this point...?

Metal g... nope he's in brawl.
Twisted Metal? I guess, but a game hasn't come out since Black.
GoW sure Kratos... but he's in Mortal kombat... ps3 version only.
Naughty dawg stuff alright.
Final fantasy 7-12 i suppose.

But what else is there. Really. Besides racing games, because i know some jagoff will say that.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Personally, I hope they come up with a better title then Title Fight. Title Fight sounds like the name of an Intellivision boxing game.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
rekabdarb said:
How many exclusive titles does the ps3 have at this point...?

Metal g... nope he's in brawl.
Twisted Metal? I guess, but a game hasn't come out since Black.
GoW sure Kratos... but he's in Mortal kombat... ps3 version only.
Naughty dawg stuff alright.
Final fantasy 7-12 i suppose.

But what else is there. Really. Besides racing games, because i know some jagoff will say that.
The answer a lot:

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_3-only_games[/link]

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_2-only_games[/link]

I'm looking forward to this game, I really enjoyed Smash Brothers and with Sony's history of improving on Nintendo's ideas this game should be a blast. And hopefully we get some Laharl and Etna love in this game.

TheLastSamurai14

Mar 23, 2011
rekabdarb said:
Well, Insomniac has the Ratchet series. That's got some good characters. And I'm thinking that Nathan Drake could be featured as well. I just hope they use some characters from their insane backlog, such as the Prince (from either Prince of Persia or Katamari Damacy, now that I think about it) or Aya Brea from Parasite Eve.

Casual Shinji said:
Crash Bandicoot vs. Spyro.

Nemesis vs. Pyramid Head.

Harry Mason vs. James Sunderland.
No, you fool! That means that the Skylanders version would be the most likely one!

And before I forget, Hyakkimaru from Blood Will Tell would fit right in to this style of game. Thanks, Wikipedia.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009

Really, a rumour like this isn't anything to get hyped or angry over. I'd base my opinion on concrete things like confirmed rosters, not "maybes".