Rumor: Sony Developing Smash Bros-Style Brawler for PS3

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Torrasque said:
What has Sony ever done that isn't a direct copy of what Nintendo is doing?
A console with games on CD instead of cartridge. Nintendo thought it was a shitty idea too...

Ridiculous fanboyisms aside, when I first heard about this I didn't really like the idea. SSB works because Nintendo has a fairly large cast of characters who are at the same time varied but also quite similar in tone. Mario vs. Kirby works. Sackboy vs. Colonel Radic though?

I don't know. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Yakuza 4's epic quartet take on Kratos, Nathan, Snake and Cole mind you.

EDIT:

fieryshadowcard said:
But what games does Sony have, and if not games, what characters? If they try to fish up every character that put them on the map, they're going to be paying out a lot of royalties, because that largely came from 3rd Person Parties. Tomb Raider(once Eidos, not sure who now), Jak n' Daxter (Naughty Dog), Crash Bandicoot (used to be Naughty Dog), Ratchet and Clank (Insomniac), Metal Gear Solid (Konami), Disgaea (Atlus), Suikoden (Konami), Katamri Damacy (Namco), SMT/Persona (Atlus), Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Parappa the Rapper, Twisted Metal, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 7-13 (Square), Spyro the Dragon (once Insomniac, now ActiVision) Jet Moto, The Mark of Kri (which is at least partly owned by Capcom), Xenosaga (Namco), Tekken (Namco), MediEvil, Little Big Planet, Uncharted (Naughty Dog)... and that's only factoring in those things largely exclusive to Playstation outlets (which I say very loosely).
Yet many of those (Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Team Ico, Sucker Punch) work directly under SCE. If they want Cole to appear in a game of their's or even someone else (Street Fighter x Tekken where Cole McGrath will be a PS exclusive) it can be done. And if enough palms are greased, I'm sure characters like Lara and Laharl can make an appearance, if they really want to go that extra mile, that is.

fieryshadowcard said:
Then there's the tone of the game. Smash Bros. is mild, cartoon violence. Even with grittier characters like Snake in it (and MGS is chock full of bizarre comedic moments), it's a lighthearted game at its core. Trying to combine the tones of all of the games Sony can choose from into a cohesive tone is going to turn out worse than a kindergartener's arts and crafts project.
This, however is where the obstacles start to appear.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Don't know how I feel about this. It would be fun to beat the living fuck out of Nathan Drake, but I can't help but wonder about the fighting mechanics of it. Is it going to be exactly like Smash Bros? Hectic jumping and tossing and explosions everywhere by silly characters? That doesn't seem to fit the mood if Sweet Tooth is in it...

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
silverdragon9 said:
JdaS said:
Torrasque said:
What has Sony ever done that isn't a direct copy of what Nintendo is doing?
A console with games on CD instead of cartridge. Nintendo thought it was a shitty idea too...
well after the CDi fiasco its hard to blame them.
I knew someone would latch on to that! Not that it's not a good point. Just that I saw that blatant flamebait and just had to prove him wrong!

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
Am I the only one who got excited because of Radec? That guy was a badass. Also anything with Kratos (the badass all badasses want to be) in is going to be amazing.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
Did I read somewhere that Valve and Sony were perhaps co-operating? Could this mean the inclusion of Valve characters in such a game? (puts on thick romanian accent) WHO KNOWS!!!

But seriously, any excuse to cram the couch full of my friends and have a balls-out battle royale in glorious HD (yeah, I went there) is most excellent.

On a side note, if you do this Sony, for god sakes, keep that damn glow-ball technology the hell away from it.

j0k3r.ig

Nov 30, 2011
I would play this game with a lineup of classic sony characters...

Ratchet and Clank.
Kratos - (God of War).
Sweet Tooth - (Twisted Metal).
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Snake - (Metal Gear Solid).
Wander - (Shadow of the Colossus).
Dante - (Devil May Cry).
Sir Dan Fortesque - (Medievil).
Lara Croft - (Tomb Raider).
Jak and Daxter.
Wesker - (Resident Evil).
Sacboy - (Little Big Planet).
The Prince - (Katamari)

....could be interesting.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Father Time said:
Beautiful End said:
I dunno...I mean, this would be like a dream come true if executed correctly. But it doesn't look like it so far...

Sony, it took you long enough to decide to rival Nintendo's SSB series with your own. You would think you would at least the copying part right.

I can see this working if:

-They create something a la MvC3. That is, every character is given an almost "cartoon-like" feeling (Who would have thought a dog would be as badass as, say, Wolverine?), they're all balanced, they're beautifully animated so that people don't end up choosing Sweet Tooths only, they're all given a vast variety of moves and styles and stuff like that.

-They choose the right characters. Hot Shots Golf? Who plays that?! What's next, Invizimals? EyePet? Even if it considered a game that sells, does it have iconic characters? Nintendo got away with Ness because A) Ness was an unlockable character, so he wasn't there right off the start to be discriminated against. If anything, you felt like you WANTED to unlock him. B) He was iconic. Maybe Earthbound is an old school classic, but it was a classic nonetheless. Hot Shots Golf? I doubt it. James Bond? I...never really thought of him as an iconic Sony character, seeing as he's more of a movie/novel character and the most iconic and best James Bond game so far (GoldenEye) was originally released for the N64.

So, I would recommend:
?Jak, Daxter, Ratchet, Clank, Sly and one of Sly's sidekicks. Sure, they were all already in Heroes on the Move (It will never be Playstation Move Heroes for me; that's a dumb name!), but they're classics and iconic. You just can't have a game without them.
?Nathan Drake
?Cole McGrath
?Kratos
?Old Snake (In your face, SSBB!)
?Sackboy
?Parappa the Rapper. Or even better! Lammy from Um Jammer Lammy! Who else liked the game?! ...No one? Just me..? Haven't even heard of it...? *Sigh*
?Someone from Tekken
?A Helghast (Bonus character?)

And the harder-to-get-but-glob-that-would-be-awesome characters:
?Crash bandicoot. Because he was originally Sony's pet.
?Spyro. For similar reasons as the one above.
?Dante. Again, similar reasons. And he's badass.
?Someone from FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10, or FF12. Because they're still PS exclusives for the most part (I know about the PC versions, yes)
?Pyramid Head. Because people would literally throw their wallets at you if you did this. Thus, SH was, yes, you guessed it, a PS exclusive.
?Someone from Kingdom hearts. Same reason as Pyramid Head's one. And not only would they throw their wallets at you, they would throw their underwear and their wives at you too.

Come on, Sony. You guys know what we want. You've proven [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWkKKSckNk] it already. Don't screw this up and you can have my money, all of it.
I find your lack of Twisted Metal disturbing.
Oh, gods. You're right! Sweet Tooth was one of the first ones that came to mind and I just--

*Sigh* Brb, killing myself.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
j0k3r.ig said:
I would play this game with a lineup of classic sony characters...

Ratchet and Clank.
Kratos - (God of War).
Sweet Tooth - (Twisted Metal).
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Snake - (Metal Gear Solid).
Wander - (Shadow of the Colossus).
Dante - (Devil May Cry).
Sir Dan Fortesque - (Medievil).
Lara Croft - (Tomb Raider).
Jak and Daxter.
Wesker - (Resident Evil).
Sacboy - (Little Big Planet).
The Prince - (Katamari)

....could be interesting.
Why the hell are so many of you people forgetting Sly Cooper? Sly's the franchise that made Sucker Punch famous!

j0k3r.ig

Nov 30, 2011
why are you so angry over this? lol

all I was doing was putting the game into perspective