Rumor: Sony Has Bought Crash Bandicoot From Activision

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Rumor: Sony Has Bought Crash Bandicoot From Activision

The removal of Activision's Crash Bandicoot site earlier today and a series of Tweets have people wondering if Sony's prodigal marsupial has returned home.

Long-time PlayStation fans undoubtedly remember Crash Bandicoot, Sony's answer to Mario and Sonic in the days of the PS1, Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64. Three well-regarded platformers, plus the solid kart-racer Crash Team Racing, were developed by Naughty Dog for the PS1 and Sony Computer Entertainment, before the Crash license ultimately changed hands. Since then, Crash has been seen on multiple platforms in several games, last seen in 2008's Crash: Mind Over Mutant, released on the Wii, PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360. However, he's never been able to recapture the popularity he had as a PlayStation exclusive.

Well, if the latest morsel from the rumor mill is any indication, those days may be returning sooner than you think. Today, Reddit reported that Activision, the current license holder of Crash Bandicoot, <a href=http://www.activision.com/search?cc=US;i=1;q=crash%20bandicoot>took down their website for the series earlier today. In covering this story, CVG also reported an Easter Egg in a PlayStation 4 launch trailer, shown at the right, that seems to indicate the return of Crash to Sony's fold.

CVG also reported on juicy tidbits from Twitter, where a Sony official stated that Activision still owns the Crash IP. However, a Tweet from an editor at VideoGamer said that he recieved a "no comment" when he asked Activision if they still held the Crash license.

Just to emphasize, all of this is pure guesswork without an official word from Sony or Activision. However, it would certainly explain what Naughty Dog's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127349-Naughty-Dog-Sony-Santa-Monica-Still-Working-on-PS4-Debuts>unannounced PS4 debut title is. So, is Crash finally back in the hands of his original creators? Only time will tell. In the meantime, speculate away!

Source: Reddit

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
...please, please, please don't let this be a joke. I mean if this is true, then Sony has just made probably the smartest decision they've ever made in the last few years. 0.0
Seriously Twitter, if you are screwing with me for a joke then I'm going to be really upset! >.<

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Eh, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I, like many, loved the early Crash games, but I can't see Naughty Dog being the ones working on this, and I don't think it would be the same otherwise.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Oh. Right. People wanted this?

Then again I guess they salvaged Rayman from the depths of terrible, best forgotten about PS1 platformers, so a new Crash game could have some potential.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Eh, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I, like many, loved the early Crash games, but I can't see Naughty Dog being the ones working on this, and I don't think it would be the same otherwise.
Look at it this way, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a better Crash game than the last ones we got:

Plus, while it might not be Naughty Dog, it could be some of the original team since most of the original Naughty Dog team left ND a while a go. Plus, I say it'd be good for the mascot to return to his home, and I'd equate this with Nintendo getting the rights to say Banjo Kazooie back. (we all know we want that to happen T^T)

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
ALL OF MY MONIES. Seriously, they could just remake Crash 1+2+3 with some newer graphics and I'd be all over it.

But please Sony, MediEvil 3? Please.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
VonKlaw said:
ALL OF MY MONIES. Seriously, they could just remake Crash 1+2+3 with some newer graphics and I'd be all over it.

First we must get Guerilla Games to stop making the Killzone games first, since they were the ones who made the MediEvil franchise. I still find it weird that they changed Sony Computer Entertainment Cambridge to Guerilla Games, of course their new title is a lot shorter so maybe that's why. XD

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Neronium said:
Andy Shandy said:
Look at it this way, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a better Crash game than the last ones we got:

Plus, while it might not be Naughty Dog, it could be some of the original team since most of the original Naughty Dog team left ND a while a go. Plus, I say it'd be good for the mascot to return to his home, and I'd equate this with Nintendo getting the rights to say Banjo Kazooie back. (we all know we want that to happen T^T)
Well that first part is true, anyway.

I actually like Banjo Kazooie with Rare though, because I liked Nuts and Bolts more than the platformers =P

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Is Spyro next? Please Sony make it happen.

Maybe you can work out some kind of deal with Activision, they can have their mutant Spyro Skylander, and you can take over the original one that doesn't look like a Chinese pug who fell into a pool of radioactive purple paint.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I actually like Banjo Kazooie with Rare though, because I liked Nuts and Bolts more than the platformers =P
Huh, so there is another person besides me who actually like Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts then. *pats on back*
I actually didn't mind that game unlike how other people did, but then again I had no emotional attachments to the plaformers since I had a PS1 and Dreamcast instead of an N64. XD

Eclipse Dragon said:
Is Spyro next? Please Sony make it happen.
While that'd be excellent, I don't see that happening. Mainly because this is how Activision handles game franchises: milk them dry and them cut them off and have them fade into obscurity. With Crash after Mind Over Mutant, a game whose only true redeeming quality were the cutscenes, Crash had been milked dry and wasn't making money for Activision. Spyro on the other hand had a decent time with the Legend of Spyro series, and now with Skylanders being as popular as it is I don't think Activision's done milking the franchise just yet.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
...I... I.... I don't even know what to believe.

Don't you dare toy with my fragile Crash heart strings here! I am still mourning what happened to Crash in the later games.

...But if this is true, even in the slightest. At all. If they can do this right, and return Crash in all his old form, then this is sweet angelic choir of news.

Celebrations are in order (if anything of this is confirmed)!

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
...I....I don't know what to-...

Crash was one of my dearest childhood memories and he did get me though so many hard times.
I...If this is real...

I'm actually tearing up a little on my end.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
If we get anything like the old PS1 games then I will be one very, very happy person.

So if this is true, +1000 points for Sony.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Well, there certainly is room for more platformers beside Mario, Ratchet, Kirby and ... yeah, that's about it for the franchises that still see somewhat regular releases.

I approve, Sony. I approve.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Rumor: zzzzzzsnortzzzzzz.

I mean, I'm sure they won't mess it up but who cares? It's just ANOTHER franchise in a long list of other franchises that franchise the franchised franchisersize. I don't see how anyone can look at his and NOT think "Oh, I guess it's now time for Crash Bandicoot to be overdone to death. Again."

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Neronium said:
VonKlaw said:
First we must get Guerilla Games to stop making the Killzone games first, since they were the ones who made the MediEvil franchise. I still find it weird that they changed Sony Computer Entertainment Cambridge to Guerilla Games, of course their new title is a lot shorter so maybe that's why. XD
Guerrilla Cambridge &#8800; Guerrilla Games. SCE Cambridge became Guerrilla Cambridge when they made KZ Mercenary on Vita, they don't work on the main series.

Let's hope becoming part of Guerrilla doesn't mean they'll only do KZ games, though. I really want a new MediEvil, and that goes double for a MediEvil made by the original creators.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kakulukia said:
Let's hope becoming part of Guerrilla doesn't mean they'll only do KZ games, though. I really want a new MediEvil, and that goes double for a MediEvil made by the original creators.
My mistake. Although I'm actually surprised they've not done a remake of MediEvil 2 to the style of how MediEvil Resurrection was. I can actually see that being the case though, and I can also see them making that a Vita exclusive...