Rumor: Sony Japan May Force Studio to Relinquish Spider-Man Control

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Sony Japan May Force Studio to Relinquish Spider-Man Control

New gossip claims Sony Picture's parent company may finally force studio to share Spider-Man rights with Marvel

Sony Pictures' two biggest headaches (failed to close a deal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138906-Sony-Pictures-Entertainment-Security-Breach-Cybersecurity] to share the franchise with Marvel Studios - a move which many industry analysts have long believed is the only hope of salvaging the series.

The deal, which could have seen Spider-Man appear as part of the blockbuster sequel doesn't like them, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12459-Captain-America-3-Will-Bring-Civil-War-to-the-Marvel-Cinematic-U]) which will now instead by hashed-out at a high-level "Spider-Man Summit" among filmmakers and studio executives in January.

According to the Hollywood rumor-mongers at Aunt May prequel [http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvelous-da7e-75-the-spider-manmarvel-deal-is-very-much-alive] wasn't a fake, after all), claims that that Summit may end up being an occasion for Sony's Japanese parent company to put it's foot down: According to LR's scooper, Sony Japan is both furious about the hack (and doesn't like how the Spider-Man movies have turned out), and may force the studio to both take Marvel's crossover deal and give up (to Marvel) their creative control over the main Spider-Man movies - which was supposedly the sticking-point that broke down the initial talks.

If correct, these maneuvers could well see Spider-Man finally coming home to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - though it's now unclear whether or not time remains for the character to take part in upcoming crossovers like Civil War.

Source:Latino Review [http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvelous-da7e-75-the-spider-manmarvel-deal-is-very-much-alive]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, God. Please let this be true. Please. Please, please, please with fucking genetically modified cherries on top. SPE can't handle superhero movies to save its life.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
Oh, God. Please let this be true. Please. Please, please, please with fucking genetically modified cherries on top. SPE can't handle superhero movies to save its life.
I have to agree in a sense. I always felt rebooting the franchise after Spiderman 3 (which wasn't awful, just disappointing) was a stupid move. The Sam Raimi trilogy was salvageable enough and really was the spark that started the whole Superhero genre on fire. So spitting on that fire only served to tank SPE's moneymaker. I'd love to see all the prodigal franchises make it back to Marvel, because I do enjoy the MCU and would love to see it "whole" on the big screen.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Only takes a couple of years to create a film, if Marvel already tried to plan him into civil war, there's a good chance they know what they want, which makes it easier to tell his story. And lets face it Disney can get any director they like xD

They have plans for the films well into 2018, I'm sure Marvel can make room for one of there most iconic super heroes.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
though it's now unclear whether or not time remains for the character to take part in upcoming crossovers like Civil War.
I'm not a betting man. I've never gambled more than a few dollars. But I would bet my life savings and my kids college money that if Marvel did suddenly find itself with the film rights to their most popular character under their wing, they'd make it work and have him in the first possible movie as soon as they could manage it.

Marvel has made their movies work so far and they've been great. But c'mon, Spider-Man is their main character. Their number one crowd pleaser in the comics, and they know it. They'd get Spidey up on screen so fast it'd make your head spin.

I hope this rumor turns out to be true.

It'd be great to see an OSCORP building in the background of New York in an Avengers movie. :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, if Marvel gets it, they'll find a way to get Spidey into the next Marvel film, even if it's just a stinger.

My Ultimate stinger?

Tobey Maguire sat on the edge of a high rise eating a burrito, as he sits and eats, Spiderman comes swinging in from a higher sky scraper and face plants along the flat roof behind him. Tobey calmly gets up and, finishing his burrito, wanders over and pulls the mask off to reveal a breathless, scrawny black kid staring up at him.

Boy... do we have a lot to talk about kid...

And then the internet melts down.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
arc1991 said:
Only takes a couple of years to create a film, if Marvel already tried to plan him into civil war, there's a good chance they know what they want, which makes it easier to tell his story. And lets face it Disney can get any director they like xD

They have plans for the films well into 2018, I'm sure Marvel can make room for one of there most iconic super heroes.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Marvel already has some "break glass in case of spiderman" box ready to go

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'd love to see all the prodigal franchises make it back to Marvel, because I do enjoy the MCU and would love to see it "whole" on the big screen.
Same, although Marvel's tying of the Inhumans together with the MCU as a replacement for the X-Men-verse's mutants is a smart way to compensate. Still, I'd die of sheer nerd bliss if the Infinite Crisis movies amounted to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman sharing space with Robert Downey Jr and the MCU's two Chrises.

It probably won't happen, but at least Fox feels like they have *some* sort of coherent concept in mind for the X-Men. It's a lot better than what I could say of SPE, which is that they're turned the trailblazer in the genre into "Babby's First Supahewo Moveh".

Marvel/Disney aren't afraid to tackle interesting themes, Fox at least tacks capable directors and decent scripts, but Sony feels like it's just grinding out clichés into Bland Scenario Paste. As for Warner Bros and DC, well... The TV projects are pretty cool, but anything silver-screen based just feels poorly researched overall, with a few nuggets of brilliance tossed in.

Captcha: Gotham City
No, Captcha. No Gotham in this house!

TippiestRook

Nov 29, 2013
"Sony Pictures' two biggest headaches (the hacking of its films and private documents and the ongoing disaster of its crumbling Spider-Man franchise) collided yesterday evening as still more hacked emails revealed that the financially-troubled studio failed to close a deal to share the franchise with Marvel Studios - a move which many industry analysts have long believed is the only hope of salvaging the series.

The deal, which could have seen Spider-Man appear as part of the blockbuster sequel Captain America: Civil War and given the Marvel brain-trust creative influence over the infamously-scattershot Amazing Spider-Man reboot series (even its star doesn't like them,)"

This entire paragraph is why I can never take Bob seriously.This is article reeks of whiny,unbearable bias
"Even its star doesn't like them"
Garfield says he blamed Sony for some of the movies faults but he never said he didn't like them.

I wish he'd just make videos that I could ignore because every time he makes writes an article I just rage quit half way through reading them.

I hope this happens but I don't think I could bear Bobs explosion of smugness.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well it was inevitable I guess. Bad news for me since the amazing spider-man was watchable from me and everything marvel makes completely bores me but not a huge deal either way.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
Marvel/Disney aren't afraid to tackle interesting themes, Fox at least tacks capable directors and decent scripts, but Sony feels like it's just grinding out clichés into Bland Scenario Paste. As for Warner Bros and DC, well... The TV projects are pretty cool, but anything silver-screen based just feels poorly researched overall, with a few nuggets of brilliance tossed in.
I think why the Marvel Studios project has worked so well overall is that it has followed the comic style well enough. The first two Spiderman movies had the feel that they could have been lifted from panels (especially the first movie). Like take a screenshot or three from each iconic scene and you could easily make a comic page out of each. Even the newer Marvel movies have that feel to them and thats what I think makes them successful. Sort of tangentially speaking, DC has not been consistent on this front aside from Batman because other than the Bat, none of their ventures work well enough dropping the comic-style. Batman semi-realism works because he's more or less an ordinary (yet batshit crazy, and crazy ass rich) person that is not too far from reality for people to suspend disbelief whereas Superman as anything other than a comic book hero is just not Superman and suffers from a gritty "reboot".
X-Men, while I hate not being able to see the crossover, does also work when they're sticking to the more comic book format... and not totally trashing the things the fans love (Deadpool) with stupid departures from source (Dark Phoenix) and using time-tested tactics to make fans happy. Although I know it was used in other comics before, X-Men feels, in my mind, to be the champion of the ret-con. Not always mastering it, but definitely has benefited more from it than any other title in comics history. So I can't be mad at Fox for holding onto the property, even if I want it to just for my own sanity.
Speaking of retconning, while its worked for the X-Men, Spiderman is the one franchise in comics that seems to have been made worse by retcons (clones, Brand New Day) and that failing has translated almost exactly into the movies with the "reboot" (movie's retcon) of the franchise.
Moral of the story? Comic book movies work when they don't depart too far from the source material and following certain tactics that work in the comics. They don't work when one decides to go way off the reservation (Man of Steel) or screw up a formula that was already working (Amazing Spider Man).
Here's to hoping this market corrects itself by allowing Parker to websling his way back home.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Oh, please be true, please be true. Please, let us have good Spider-Man movies again.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Isn't Latino Review the site that basically just throws crap at the wall and hope it sticks?

as much as I want this to be true I'm willing to wait for a better source before jumping on the hype train.

BillyBlackSheep

Oct 6, 2013
This is pretty sad, Bob. I read the Latino-Review article this morning. You're not even reporting on a rumor. You're reporting on another site's opinion/fantasy based on the leaked Sony e-mails. As far as I can tell, there's nothing to indicate that Sony Japan is considering anything like this. It would be nice, but there's not even an "inside source" claiming that they've even begun to think about this.

What the hell, man?

vid87

May 17, 2010
If by some miracle this turns out to be true, we'll actually be thanking North Korea for something (or at least anti-Franco/Rogen sympathizers).

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Isn't LR just a site that reports ANY random thing in order to get attention? How much from them actually pans out?