Rumor: Sony Making PSP2 Announcement ASAP

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Meh, the reason I bought a PSP first time around was for emulation.

Now that my phone can do that, I'm not interested.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually the original PSP didn't fail, it simply didn't succeed to the point of the DS. I think people confuse "not being #1" with failure, it sold millions of units apparently.

Now, the problem with the PSP2 is that it's pretty much pushing the elements of the PSP that failed. Apparently the system is not going to use any physical media like UMDs and rely totally on online digital downloads. A sound desician from Sony's perspective due to all the money that can be made that way, but not a sound desician from the perspective of the users, who want their physical media. You look at the PSPGo which WAS an epic failure and you can see the problems with their strategy.

The UMD also failed apparently because it's frankly a very annoying format for portable discs, both being relatively fragile, and fairly bulky. I think the DS succeeded in part because it had physical media in a format small enough and durable enough where you could put 4 games lin a little case and stick it in your pocket alongside the DS and then effectibely have 4 games with you. Both the PSP and it's media are bulky enough where they are far less easily portable, etc... That said it still did fairly well in it's original form.

To really succeed I think what Sony needs to do actually is find a differant physical media format, and reduce the overall size of their portable. From what I've seen of the PSP-2 it does neither of these things, and will probably fail due to allgedly being entirely digital like the GO was due to there being few customer benefits, the trade off of not having to carry media disks/chips/cartridges overcome by having no physical product that you have control over.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
mattttherman3 said:
Instead of this, why don't they just make their phone capable of playing these games, or make the psp2 able to make phone calls.
one word... N-Gage.

OP: I hope they announce it soon, but it had better be UMD compatible! Because I like buying discount games, and the ps store kinda sucks price wise.

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
*cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfpArW7Ic4&feature=player_embedded

You guys late for the rumor party or what?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
WaffleGod said:
*cough*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSfpArW7Ic4&feature=player_embedded

You guys late for the rumor party or what?
That's the PS Phone. Not the PSP2. After the N-Gage, no-one's silly enough to dedicate a phone as a gaming device. Apple are succeeding as their platform is iOS.

Calumon: Yay! Consoles hurt me but stuff in handheld things are nice! :D

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
I love how people use things like n-gage and virtual boy as if they're concrete counterpoints to the PSPhone and 3ds. Because, obviously, once something has been done, however shoddily, and failed in the past, it can never ever succeed again for the rest of time no matter how competent the next people are to try it. ...right?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
BrunDeign said:
megs1120 said:
BrunDeign said:
Wait. A PSP that has graphics similar to those of a PS3?

People are already complaining about how much the 3DS MIGHT cost, what makes people think a PSP with PS3 graphics will go for anything less or, for that matter, the same? To run graphics similar to the PS3's they'd need to have a steeper cost than the 3DS's to support the production values.
The PSP2 likely won't have a bluray drive, which would cut a giant chunk out of the unit's price.
But how much? Original PS3 cost about 600 dollars. Cut out the bluray and possibly the hard drive (who knows how big the hard drive could be) and how much would that leave? I doubt cutting out the bluray alone would cut the price in half.
Blu-ray drives now days are less than $50, burners are less than $150, thing have come way down since the PS3 was released. 7200RPM 500GB 2.5inch HDDs are less than $100 and 7200RPM 1.5TB 3.5's are less than $100, SSDs are still expensive as hell.

I digress, remember that "PS3 graphics" on a 3inch 320x240 screen isn't hard. Even if they upgrade to a 480P screen it's not difficult to scale match the graphics to a 3inch screen.

I can see a custom board with new omap/atom processors doing 1.5-2ghz (sony probably developed their own new chip with IBM again, and 1GHz would be more than twice the power of a psp-3000), 32-60GB of flash storage (which they could toss for a microSD with support up to 64GB to drop $100 off the price), and 1GB RAM for around 450-600 depending on how much of a profit Sony wants to make on the console alone, if they sale at a loss then around $400. If they drop internal storage for microSD then $350.

They could probably make these at $250-$300ea/1k units before storage is added in. I expect something great compared with what is currently available.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Therumancer said:
Actually the original PSP didn't fail, it simply didn't succeed to the point of the DS. I think people confuse "not being #1" with failure, it sold millions of units apparently.

Now, the problem with the PSP2 is that it's pretty much pushing the elements of the PSP that failed. Apparently the system is not going to use any physical media like UMDs and rely totally on online digital downloads. A sound desician from Sony's perspective due to all the money that can be made that way, but not a sound desician from the perspective of the users, who want their physical media. You look at the PSPGo which WAS an epic failure and you can see the problems with their strategy.

The UMD also failed apparently because it's frankly a very annoying format for portable discs, both being relatively fragile, and fairly bulky. I think the DS succeeded in part because it had physical media in a format small enough and durable enough where you could put 4 games lin a little case and stick it in your pocket alongside the DS and then effectibely have 4 games with you. Both the PSP and it's media are bulky enough where they are far less easily portable, etc... That said it still did fairly well in it's original form.

To really succeed I think what Sony needs to do actually is find a differant physical media format, and reduce the overall size of their portable. From what I've seen of the PSP-2 it does neither of these things, and will probably fail due to allgedly being entirely digital like the GO was due to there being few customer benefits, the trade off of not having to carry media disks/chips/cartridges overcome by having no physical product that you have control over.
I read somewhere that they where gonna put the games on memory sticks instead of just pure digital download but I can't remember where, not sure if it's true or someone didn't get there facts right which is hope is true. Pure digital would be completely retarded and they shoulda learned that by GO already.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If the thing can emulate PS2 games, along with PS1 and retro compatibility with past PSP games and happens to have great games of it's own, then I may consider getting one of those instead of a 3DS.

I wouldn't mind if the games are distributed only in digital form, I don't have a PSP, so I would start from scratch, also I think it would be more convinient than carrying around those ugly disc thingys. It's already pretty annoying to carry more than 2 or 3 games for the DS.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure that Sony-Erickson is not the same corporate entity that makes the PSP - the PSP phone is a completely different beast from this thing. There was also a rumour out not long ago that claimed that the PSP2 was on par with an XBox360, which would certainly be something to behold. At least it would be if it didn't light you on fire with the heat dissipation issues that they'd have to get around...

@twistedheat15 - I also heard that PSP2 games were going to be on memory sticks instead of UMDs and I also can't remember where; maybe we read the same news sites. I tend to think it was on PSLS, but I can't remember where they might have linked it from.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
BrunDeign said:
Wait. A PSP that has graphics similar to those of a PS3?

People are already complaining about how much the 3DS MIGHT cost, what makes people think a PSP with PS3 graphics will go for anything less or, for that matter, the same? To run graphics similar to the PS3's they'd need to have a steeper cost than the 3DS's to support the production values.
Would be hard to sale a handheld that costs 300$ or more. Especialy if the PS3's cheaper then it by the time it's released.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well I hope it's true, I'd just like to see this thing revealed already and put an end to all the silly rumors and junk. Only way this system will piss me off is if it's digital distribution only; and that is very unlikely. I expect the battery life to be around the same as the current PSP or even the 3DS given the power of these new handhelds.

Just please go, have some sort of backwards compatibility be it built in UMD drive, option to convert our games to ISOs (very unlikely due to all the problems it poses), or even some sort of UMD drive add-on you can buy separately.