Rumor: Sony Making PSP2 Announcement ASAP

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Sony Making PSP2 Announcement ASAP

The PSP2 might be announced sooner than anyone expected.

With PSP2 rumors running rampant in 2010, the big question was: When would Sony finally announce it? According to unnamed sources, as soon as the end of January 2011.

MCV and VG247 both claim that sources have confirmed that a PSP2 announcement is coming on January 27. On that date, Sony is holding a press event in Tokyo, also referred to as a "business overview and strategy meeting." At this meeting, the PSP2 will reportedly be unveiled at last.

The PSP2's existence was first hardware specs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103543-Mortal-Kombat-Dev-Reveals-Existence-of-PSP-2] that make the PSP2 out to be nearly as powerful as a PlayStation 3.

Game publishers were evidently informed in late 2010 about Sony's plan to announce its new handheld at the end of January. If the PSP2 is released in 2011, it'll go up against Nintendo's new 3DS, which is also said to be somewhat of a powerhouse and outputs 3D images with no glasses. The 3DS is scheduled for release in Japan on February 26, with North American and European release dates expected [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106200-Rumor-3DS-Details-Likely-On-January-19] to be announced on January 19.

The console war between the big three might be settling down, but it's looking like 2011 will be the year of the great next-gen handheld battle instead. For everybody's wallet's sake, lets hope Microsoft stays out of it.

Sources: MCV [http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/12/source-sony-to-announce-psp2-in-tokyo-on-january-27/]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
When IS it coming out? I've been saving for a PSP of my own before I head back to Aussie. Which is next month...

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Could be cool to see, it makes sense since Nintendo is moving forward rapidly with their next handheld. Sony would want to follow and stay with it.

I've been wanting a PSP sometime, mainly to play the Metal Gear games.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Id buy it if it had two control sticks and lets me play past psp games.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Wait. A PSP that has graphics similar to those of a PS3?

People are already complaining about how much the 3DS MIGHT cost, what makes people think a PSP with PS3 graphics will go for anything less or, for that matter, the same? To run graphics similar to the PS3's they'd need to have a steeper cost than the 3DS's to support the production values.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
And next they'll announce the PSP phone whenever leaked PS4 details are running rampant.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
BrunDeign said:

People are already complaining about how much the 3DS MIGHT cost, what makes people think a PSP with PS3 graphics will go for anything less or, for that matter, the same? To run graphics similar to the PS3's they'd need to have a steeper cost than the 3DS's to support the production values.
The PSP2 likely won't have a bluray drive, which would cut a giant chunk out of the unit's price.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
megs1120 said:
BrunDeign said:

The PSP2 likely won't have a bluray drive, which would cut a giant chunk out of the unit's price.
But how much? Original PS3 cost about 600 dollars. Cut out the bluray and possibly the hard drive (who knows how big the hard drive could be) and how much would that leave? I doubt cutting out the bluray alone would cut the price in half.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I hope the PSP2 and PSphone are not one and the same, but otherwise, this is good news...
But I doubt I'll be getting it straight away. I'm still fairly content with my PSP 1000.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
I'm defiantly getting this if it has 2 analog sticks. The only problem this could have is if the battery life is crap, as it is supposedly so powerful.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Numachuka said:
I'm defiantly getting this if it has 2 analog sticks. The only problem this could have is if the battery life is crap, as it is supposedly so powerful.
Indeed. I'd love a handheld that features a second analog stick. As for the battery life...hm, I'd say 3 hours if the hardware specs are indeed as powerful as the rumors claim.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
smithy_2045 said:
Didn't the original PSP fail bad enough for you to give up on handhelds Sony?
You can't really say it "failed." It still sold somewhat well even though it didn't sell nearly as well as the DS. I guess, when compared to the DS, yes it was a failure but only in that sense.

PSP Go on the other hand...

KuwaSanjuro

Dec 22, 2010
I'm really excited about this because all in all the PSP was not a failure but whenever comparing anything to something as hugely selling as DS will make anything seem like a failure. I also really hope this drastically lowers prices of PSP-3000 because I haven't got one or any other PSP, and won't be getting 3DS (Never get anything on day one and there'll be a new version by January next year I think and the original 3DS will be cheap).

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Instead of this, why don't they just make their phone capable of playing these games, or make the psp2 able to make phone calls.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
Didn't the original PSP fail bad enough for you to give up on handhelds Sony?
Obviously not, and if everyone just rolled over and took it in the ass when they failed they wouldn't learn from it and do better next time.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
BrunDeign said:

I doubt it would be $1,000... a PS3 wasn't even that much when it came out.