Rumor: Sony to Launch 3D PS3s in 2010

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rumor: Sony to Launch 3D PS3s in 2010

Now that high definition TVs are commonplace, Sony is planning the next big shift in how we watch television and play games.

Specifically, Sony is planning to roll out the first wave of 3D televisions next year, according to a report by the Financial Times. [http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/093755da-9759-11de-83c5-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1]

Of crucial importance to gamers is this quote from the FT report:

Due to speak today at the IFA technology trade show in Berlin, Sir Howard Stringer, Sony chief executive, will announce plans not only to sell 3D Bravia television sets, but to make Sony's Vaio laptop computers, PlayStation 3 games consoles and Blu-ray disc players compatible with the technology.

PlayStation 3 game consoles with 3D technology? Assuming the FT's source is correct on this, one wonders exactly how Sony plans to set all of that up.

Will the firm launch an entirely new line of systems? That would fall in line with the recent price drop on the current PS3 console, but would be bold move given the PS3's current third place status in the ongoing console wars.

Do PS3s already have enough technological prowess to seamlessly integrate 3D into its current library? That seems unlikely, unless the new technology requires almost no extra processing power, or it's all handled by the television set -- a caveat that would make the FT quote incorrect.

Did they actually mean the unannounced, yet imminent PlayStation 4? This one is the most plausible, but why would Sony want to start pimping its next console at a time when it is trying desperately to gain ground with the PS3?

It's also quite interesting that the Financial Times is not treating this information as a "rumor" and instead has it listed as a "report," meaning they are quite confident about this information. I see that as meaning either there is something I'm totally missing here, or the person who wrote this piece doesn't quite grasp how the PlayStation 3 works.

I guess we'll have to wait until the IFA trade show on September 4 to see what Sony has planned.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
They actually said last year I believe, that they were working on 3D tech.

Interesting enough though. I'm wondering if one will have enough money for all of this stuff however...

Robert632

May 11, 2009
yes, and then, in 2011, we'll get the toaster 9s3. toast bread, while you play!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Playstation 4 sounds vaguely plausible, Sony could have looked at Nintendo cutting it's losses with the Cube to develop the Wii.

If Playstation 4 lands as a Playstation 3+ with some badass bits of tech in it, that would be nice. Or it could be a filter that apes stereoscopic, it can't be that much harder than scaling, can it?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
What about Avatar the game (and no not Avatar the Last Air Bender) where it will come with the option to play it in 3D if you are rich enough (or lucky enough since I have never seen 1 on a store shelf) to own a 3D TV. So wouldn't it essentially come down to the devs to implement it? Would this PS3 still play games in normal vision if one is not so lucky to own a 3D TV? If not wouldn't they be catering to an even smaller group than they seem to be even now?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Feh. Compatible gaming computers already have this technology, mine included. Unfortunatly, I don't have the glasses.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Well, this will be a better direction than motion control if done right. The immersion in 3D games will be immense.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Didn't someone use the wii and wiimote to create 3D effects? No? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzjZNspuGY]
Surely it won't be too demanding for the PS3 to run software that would enable it. And just because evil corporations overrate their hardware, it doesn't mean their hardware will always fail.

Combine that with those playstation wand things and the only thing lacking will be force-feedback.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
We all know the outcome.

There will not be a new sku of PS3's with 3d built in. If there really going to implement it then it would be best as a downloadable or firmware update , changing hardware is a dumb move.

although i do like the idea of 3D Tv's.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Huh. This is interesting... I wonder if this really will be in the next console. If I recall correctly, didn't someone big speculate that Sony would push out their next console before Nintendo and Microsoft? This would seem to confirm that idea, if but a little.

Of course, Sony might just treat it like Natal and make it an accessory to the PS3, instead of the launch of a new console.

I'm really excited at the thought of 3D TVs. The world of the future is today.

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
Quite curious to find out how the 3D will work. With the Virtual Boy, they processed slightly different images in each 'eye' and this tricked our eyes into believing the illusion of depth. The downside to this is that the console has to do twice the work to render a single image (which is why VB games didn't look any better than SNES games despite having a 20Mhz 32-bit processor). Don't see how current PS3 games will be able to work like that...

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Surely a 3D game could run on current tech... As long as the TV could produce the different linings well enough we would just need stupid really cool glasses is all.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I don't even have an HDTV. Heck,TV in my home dates back to '90s! Launching consoles with 3D technology in 2010 is a bad move - it's more like 2012-2013.