Rumor: Spider-Man Could Join The Avengers After All?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Spider-Man Could Join The Avengers After All?

Multiple sites suggest Marvel and Sony may be negotiating to bring Peter Parker home

Sony's contractual obligation to make a new broken record [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob] in Hollywood - but the studio might be looking to play a new tune.

On Monday, reliable HitFix journalist Drew McWeeny passed along some Sinister Six [http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/marvels-making-big-plans-beyond-avengers-3-and-its-making-hollywood-crazy] movie.

Now, entirely new [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/07/spider-man-marvel-sony/] roster of heroes (in the comics, Spider-Man has been part of various Avengers teams since the controversial New Avengers relaunch in 2005.)

While Marvel has declining [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137873-Marvel-Cancels-Fantastic-Four-In-Possible-Dispute-With-Fox]) box-office of the franchise is the only element "in play."

Sources: EW [http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/marvels-making-big-plans-beyond-avengers-3-and-its-making-hollywood-crazy]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
If it's true, cool. I mean, Sony and Marvel already had talks about a minor crossover of both during Avengers 1 of having the Oscorp building of TASM appear in the background (which only failed because Avengers was too far into production to actually do it, while both sides seemed to want it). This sounds like the next step - Spider-Man joins the Cinematic universe and Crossover-stuff is Marvel-produced while Sony works on the stand-alone Spider-Man-Only stuff, basically outsourcing Spider-Man-Movies to Sony?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Even if it's just rumours which will be unlikely to bear any fruit, it's still something I wouldn't put past happening now that someone upstairs is dicking around with Hollywood and making things which should have been impossible happen (we're getting a Deadpool movie after all).

Though I thought it was every 5 years they had to make a movie, not 3. If that was the case it should have returned to Marvel given Spider-Man 3 was from 2007 and Not-so Amazing Spider-Man was from 2012.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I don't understand why Marvel would want this. They've proven they don't need big name characters to sell tickets and it's not in their interests to help Sony out here. They stand to gain a lot less out of this than Sony, why bother? Why not let them flounder and hope they give up?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TheRightToArmBears said:
I don't understand why Marvel would want this. They've proven they don't need big name characters to sell tickets and it's not in their interests to help Sony out here. They stand to gain a lot less out of this than Sony, why bother? Why not let them flounder and hope they give up?
Even if they don't have to gain something now - do you know what their potential options and plans are should they get Spider-Man for their movies?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
I can absolutely see why they would want it. Spider-Man is pretty much their signature character and I'm sure they'd absolutely love to have him back under their wing so they can incorporate him into the universe. Obviously they can (and have) manage without him, but that doesn't mean they want to! This isn't really a financial issue, but an intellectual property one - having characters managed by different studios is confusing to audiences and damages the MCU brand, while also meaning that their name is attached to potential box-office failures that are out of their control.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
Marvel owns merchandising rights, if they put spider man in something good, kids will want to buy more toys, the same effect will happen as the kids that love spider man will see him with the avengers and will want to buy all of spider man's friends.

[and by kids buying, i mean, begging their parents to buy.]

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
They'd be mad not to do this tbh. My kids'd explode over this, and bankrupt me taking them to see it again and again and again....

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It wouldn't work with Sony's Spider-Man universe. But if they were to reboot Spidey and integrate him into the MCU, it would feel so right, so freakin' right. Spider-Man belongs with The Avengers. And I think that Marvel is the only studio that could do justice to the character.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Nothing to comment on topic
Rumors are rumors after all :/

Picture on the other hand...
Cap shouldn't use "when" instead of "if"
"..if you grow up..", Cap, not "when"

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
OK, so... Sony reboot Spider-Man (AGAIN), they run the script past Marvel to make sure it doesn't completely suck, then do solo movies while Marvel integrates Spidey into the Avengers?

...I'm cool with that.

Oh, and whoever writes the new origin for Spidey? Here's a freebie for you. Don't give Spidey the suit or web-shooters until after Uncle Ben dies, because that way you can have Peter chase after Ben's killer using sweet parkour moves like swinging on flag poles... and getting tangled up in an American flag. This blurry red-blue figure is what people capture on mobile phones, that's what gets shown on the news, and THAT'S what inspires the outfit.

You're welcome!

blackrave said:
"..if you grow up..", Cap, not when
"If" sounds kinda negative. "When", however, is incredibly optimistic, as if he doesn't have any doubts that Spidey'll pull through.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
One of the problems with Spiderman is the reboot - i think they should have just continued where SM3 finished. Dont know why they reboot these movies just because the actor playing the hero leaves. Batman did this and was fine having different people playing Batman.

Anyway, i think Spidey in Avengers would be good and i think it will benefit Sony more than Marvel. Only problem is well it be a Marvel Spidey or the Sony Spidey? Because i think Marvel would write him different to the Sony one. Then you have thee issue of Garfield having to sign a contract with both companies....that is if Sony doesnt decide to reboot again. Personally i have no interest in watching another Spiderman reboot where they spend the first movie going through the origin story.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
One of the problems with Spiderman is the reboot - i think they should have just continued where SM3 finished. Dont know why they reboot these movies just because the actor playing the hero leaves. Batman did this and was fine having different people playing Batman.

Anyway, i think Spidey in Avengers would be good and i think it will benefit Sony more than Marvel. Only problem is well it be a Marvel Spidey or the Sony Spidey? Because i think Marvel would write him different to the Sony one. Then you have thee issue of Garfield having to sign a contract with both companies....that is if Sony doesnt decide to reboot again. Personally i have no interest in watching another Spiderman reboot where they spend the first movie going through the origin story.
If Sony do scrap the current Spidey Movies, it shouldn't be hard for them to just reboot Spiderman, but within the Avengers film, then give him his own films.

That's the only way i can see them pulling this off without confusing the audience.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
For the love of fuck, just don't do this with Andy "I hate Mondays" Garfield's smarmy ass.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Interesting turn of events. Lets examine what Marvel gets out of the deal: Spiderman in the Avengers, perhaps a nice addition, but not vital. They know this. I do not think anything less than reversion of ownership would satisfy them. Perhaps they may be content with having him in a movie or two, however such an addition would ultimately dictate what direction Sony could take the character. Sony would essentially be making a Marvel movie and losing half the profits. Not ideal. So what could Sony get from this arrangement? Goodwill and a boost in their flagging movie studio most likely. Given most of the big Avenger stars contracts are running out, we wouldn't see a crossover in that respect.

Marvel stands to gain the most here. Sony might just have to be content with a smaller piece of the pie.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
arc1991 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

If Sony do scrap the current Spidey Movies, it shouldn't be hard for them to just reboot Spiderman, but within the Avengers film, then give him his own films.

That's the only way i can see them pulling this off without confusing the audience.
A soft reboot where in Peter is spiderman already - kinda like they did in Tim Burtons Batman. I think it would work rebooting him in Avengers - or even have him show up in another Marvel movie in the lead up to Avengers.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Without regard to whether ot not its true, i hope it goes through.

Spidey deserves better than what Sony can give him, and Avengers can only benefit from having another member of thier core team back.

blackrave said:
Picture on the other hand...
"..if you grow up..", Cap, not "when"
If i knew which issue that image came from id make a joke that no one has aged a day since then.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm still having a hard time being convinced this is even a possibility for so many reasons, mainly in that this has the potential to wildly backfire on Sony if they stay with their current version of the character, though I hadn't considered that they might try rebooting *again* so damn soon. Certainly there'd be a lot of retconning and a dump of exposition to explain why either universe has yet to be involved with each other, Parker's feelings on Loki's attack on New York, or Oscorp's distinct absence on the world stage compared to Stark, Hammer, and AIM. More than that, this is, as far as I know, the first time this kind of thing would ever have happened in the history of cinema (let me know otherwise but please don't rip my head off in the process) and, while MCU is itself unprecedented, I just don't think studio politics and ego are going to make this work, assuming this isn't the same empty rumor they were floating a year or two ago. Don't get me wrong though - Spidey (especially a new one) as an Avenger would make my millennium. Color me potentially excited if it really does work out for the best but for now solidly skeptical at the most.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ugh. I'm no MCU fan, but of the new Spider-Man series, the first film was enough to put me off that setting as well.

On the other hand, I don't think it's too big an issue. Take the "Sonyverse" as is, being two films. Have them set before the events of 'The Avengers', which covers the lack of chitauri mentions (or potentially any other hero if it's set before IM1). Have a Spider-Man MCU film that makes reference to Peter establishing himself as Spider-Man (the first two films, the parent plot thread notwithstanding), and carry on from there. I think Spider-Man's popular enough to not have his origins explained YET AGAIN.

And hey, I'll always have the Rami trilogy. :)

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I really hope Marvel doesn't use Spider-Man in any way. Doing crossovers with Sony will only bring the quality of the MCU down. Besides, they've got a huge number of Avengers affiliated characters they still have film rights to.