Rumor: Spider-Man Could Join The Avengers After All?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Marvel probably made more money from Amazing Spider-man 2 merchandise than Sony made from the film. It's to their advantage to keep that merchandise flowing, and Sony's to have an actual good picture that makes more money.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Darth Marsden said:
blackrave said:
Cap shouldn't use "when" instead of "if"
"..if you grow up..", Cap, not when
"If" sounds kinda negative. "When", however, is incredibly optimistic, as if he doesn't have any doubts that Spidey'll pull through.
I actually thought he just meant that as a shot at Peter as being basically still a child even when he's an adult.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I don't know if Marvel needs Spidey, or even if they should try to include him at this point. If they are having to shoehorn in a subpar origin for the character (whether incorporating the old films, or using a new reboot), it may diminish their product. Moreover, with so many amazing characters to choose from, Spidey will get lost in the shuffle.

As such, Spidey might not matter as much to the Avengers franchise (Ironman was turned into the comic relief AND face of the team). However, I am one of those few people who think he'd be a great acquisition for Fox, providing more meat for the X-Men/Fantastic Four universes to cross over. Furthermore, this will also add more variety to the villains in that universe. Spidey also has more natural connections to both universes (walking that fine line between being ostracized like the XMen, and admired like FF).

Moreover, this means we wold get two meatier over-arcing Marvel universes vying for superiority, resulting in more films for the fans. However, what with Fantastic Four looking like ANOTHER trainwreck, I simply don't trust any film from Fox, unless it is directed by Bryan Singer. Maybe they can scrap the FF movie, and hire on Singer as the universe's coordinating director (much like how Whedon told Marvel to rewrite the Avengers script).

Captcha: "People fit perfectly"
"Er, that's what she said?"

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
<__>

I still prefer smarmy Garfield and Stone over sappy Maguire and Dunst, but maybe a new cast will make everyone happy... *snigger* as if.

As long as the POSSIBLE new movies do their own thing and don't simply try to imitate the previous ones i'm down like a clown charlie brown.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I can understand Sony trying to open up talks with Marvel, but I don't see Marvel doing anything other than sitting their, arms folded, waiting for Sony to give up on their terrible spiderman movies. Really, all Marvel has to do is wait and they'll get the license back. And if they don't, they're still going to rake in the profits from the merchandise.

Besides, with disney in control I don't see them willing to take any half-assed shared rights deals at this point. It should just be all or nothing at this point since Sony are the ones with everything to lose.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
Darth Marsden said:
blackrave said:
"..if you grow up..", Cap, not when
"If" sounds kinda negative. "When", however, is incredibly optimistic, as if he doesn't have any doubts that Spidey'll pull through.
I actually thought he just meant that as a shot at Peter as being basically still a child even when he's an adult.
I think he's still a teen in that image, and I'm pretty sure the Avengers only take members who are legally adults.

OT: Well, it this winds up happening, I hope Marvel acts on it soon; I just have this feeling the Avengers verse is going to run out of steam sometime, and it may happen sooner rather than later.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
If I had to take every rumor from Sony with a grain of salt, I'd have to be hospitalized because my blood pressure reached critical levels. X_X

With the financial woes Sony is having these days, given if one or any of these rumors are true, they're clutching at straws to stay afloat without having to surrender the IP rights to Marvel/Disney. Sadly, having fucked up so royally with this property with their lousy attempts to beat the competition at their own game (which is like trying to shoot down a jumbo jet with a rubber band gun), they should take their lumps, get whatever cash they can get out of the deal, file for bankruptcy, and try to restructure the company... assuming the company survives at all. ^^;

As for Marvel/Disney, Spider-Man needs to go away for about 5-10 years before returning to movies or TV IMO. Left America forget the Mark Webb train wreck (for some of us, we might need time to heal), expand the universe they have now, and find a proper time/plan to bring the web-head back into play. Unlike Sony, Marvel/Disney clearly learned that patience is a virtue.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Anyone else find it funny that the picture used is from when Peter Parker died in Ultimate Spiderman, where the Avengers were called the Ultimates?

Anyone?

meh...

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
It wouldn't work with Sony's Spider-Man universe. But if they were to reboot Spidey and integrate him into the MCU, it would feel so right, so freakin' right. Spider-Man belongs with The Avengers. And I think that Marvel is the only studio that could do justice to the character.
Bull freaking shit. MCU movies have a continual quasi-objectivist undertone to their works that always try to distance the heroes and the normals, and that the latter only exist to be a screaming moron to be saved and an ineffectual obstacle to get in their way (or at best, easily dispatched idiots that serve as nothing more than to show how far above normal people the villains are, no matter how elite and capable they should be - see the Shield loyalist pilots in Cap 2 who all die ineffectively, the NOVA corps in Guardians who all die ineffectively, hell, even the actual full on gods of the nameless Asgardians in Thor 2 who all die ineffectively), a thing that completely goes against what Spider-Man is about, and something that TASM has always been wholly consistent on (compare the NYPD chief blowing off the villains hands with a shotgun, saving the hero and letting him recover in TASM versus the cops running around clueless until a man from the 40's tells them what to do in Avengers).

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
I don't know why they didn't just do this to begin with. The whole idea of doing a crossover is to mutually benefit both series. That's why DC did The Justice Society, figuring it was better for their characters to promote one another rather than compete with one another. And everyone was like "damn, that's a good idea"

If Spider-man does get incorporated into the MCU please do not revisit the damn origin story just introduce him and say "hey, this is Spider-Man, he was bitten by a spider and has spider powers" that's it. By this point everyone knows who he is and what he's about.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I honestly doubt this is true, like most of the rumours about Spider-Man. Hey, remember when ASM 3 was canceled? That was totally real, and not just the wishful thinking of a bunch of people who hate the current franchise.

Zontar said:
Even if it's just rumours which will be unlikely to bear any fruit, it's still something I wouldn't put past happening now that someone upstairs is dicking around with Hollywood and making things which should have been impossible happen (we're getting a Deadpool movie after all).
I suspect this is a case of "corrupt a wish," actually.

Deadpool will come out, but be rated PG (not even PG-13) and feature John Cena as Deadpool.

Similarly, Spider-Man will join the Avengers, but only if the movie is written by Bob Orci, directed by Michael Bay, and Peter is played by Jamie Kennedy. And he'll be in high school.

blackrave said:
"..if you grow up..", Cap, not "when"
Cap knows, man, Cap knows.

coheedswicked said:
I don't know why they didn't just do this to begin with. The whole idea of doing a crossover is to mutually benefit both series. That's why DC did The Justice Society, figuring it was better for their characters to promote one another rather than compete with one another. And everyone was like "damn, that's a good idea"
Which of those were licensed to other companies?

See, that's the problem. It's easy to work to the benefit of both series when you own both. It's much harder when you're trying to unite series under different banners.

Toadfish1 said:
Bull freaking shit. MCU movies have a continual quasi-objectivist undertone to their works that always try to distance the heroes and the normals, and that the latter only exist to be a screaming moron to be saved and an ineffectual obstacle to get in their way (or at best, easily dispatched idiots that serve as nothing more than to show how far above normal people the villains are), a thing that completely goes against what Spider-Man is about, and something that TASM has always been wholly consistent on (compare the NYPD chief blowing off the villains hands with a shotgun, saving the hero and letting him recover in TASM versus the cops running around clueless until a man from the 40's tells them what to do in Avengers).
Holy crap. Did you just say something positive about ASM and negative about the Avengers?

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
I honestly doubt this is true, like most of the rumours about Spider-Man. Hey, remember when ASM 3 was canceled? That was totally real, and not just the wishful thinking of a bunch of people who hate the current franchise.
I dunno. I can see both Disney and Sony recognizing its mutually beneficial to them to join the universes. There's a lot of people clamoring to incorporate Spider-Man, and it would serve as a significant shot in the arm after it begins to lose its novelty. Plus, many of the biggest stories do require Spider-Man being there, moreso than most of the X-men (Onslaught is the only real exception, but thats still more an X-Men story than it is a larger Marvel story). On the flipside, this allows Sony to just make Spider-man movies without feeling the pressure to try and make a wider universe out of what they've got, which is the weakest part of their movies (like I've said before, Amazing Spider-man 2 was like Iron Man 2, too focused on setting up movies coming up to make sure the movie itself was great)

As a bonus, it might also mean that the MCU may get some connection a movie with a solo female lead.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
So will they reboot Spidey again?
I really liked the "original" from the 1-3 movies but I feel like bringing him back now would just be weird. I loathe the new one, and can't relate to his Spidey at all.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
If Spider-Man reverts to Marvel, they should drop Garfield and start with a different actor. They don't need to do ANOTHER origin story, but they should use a different incarnation of the character. A version that is able to speak in complete sentences during romantic dialogue. Peter's inability to speak aggravated me to no end in "Amazing Spider-Man". He was better at communicating with Gwen's dad than with Gwen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Toadfish1 said:
I can see both Disney and Sony recognizing its mutually beneficial to them to join the universes.
The reality is that it isn't, however. Marvel/Disney want the rights back, and this would give Sony a shot in the arm. This is quite possibly the biggest favour Marvel could do Sony in the long run, and the biggest obstacle to their goal of getting the rights back. Now, Sony'll probably try and keep the rights as long as the property is profitable, but if there's hope, it doesn't seem like it's in their best interest.

Sony? Yeah, this is probably a solid win for Sony.

Plus, many of the biggest stories do require Spider-Man being there, moreso than most of the X-men (Onslaught is the only real exception, but thats still more an X-Men story than it is a larger Marvel story).
It's easy enough to write around characters, so nobody's strictly necessary. Well, a titular character, perhaps.

On the flipside, this allows Sony to just make Spider-man movies without feeling the pressure to try and make a wider universe out of what they've got, which is the weakest part of their movies (like I've said before, Amazing Spider-man 2 was like Iron Man 2, too focused on setting up movies coming up to make sure the movie itself was great)
They've already done their Iron Man 2, however. They've set it up, so the pressure is largely off. Except nobody cares about a Sinister Six movie, but beside that. They've got their franchise iterations, whether we like it or not. And this is probably a more economical route for them, as it doesn't require them signing thirty new picture deals with Garfield (or whoever their Spider-Man lead is going forth).

As a bonus, it might also mean that the MCU may get some connection a movie with a solo female lead.
Another reason it's unlikely to happen.