Rumor: Spider-Man Will Join The Avengers in 2018

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008

Gossip site claims Marvel and Sony have reached a deal

One of the bigger entertainment stories of 2014 was Sony Pictures' ongoing attempts to turn their back in control [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5995-The-Amazing-Spider-Man] of the character... that were scuttled.

Now, reliable gossip-meisters Latino Review have a Marvel Cinematic Universe [http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvelous-da7e-78-the-fates-of-cap-thor-and-spidey] ...plans that include the arrival of Spider-Man (almost-certainly meaning a new version played by neither Andrew Garfield onr Tobey Maguire) to the continuity of The Avengers.

The report (which, again, includes massive potential spoilers) details several story points already widely known or believed to be known, including the appearance of a new Avengers team [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137844-Rumor-Says-Marvel-Will-Feature-A-Whole-New-Team-In-Avengers-3] forming for Avengers: Infinity War Part I and potentially grim endings for the third outings of Captain America and Thor (Thor 3's subtitle, "Ragnarok," refers to the literal end of the world in Norse mythology); before dropping it's biggest "new" claim: That Marvel and Sony have come to terms, and Spider-Man will join the fight (and possibly The Avengers team itself) for the two-part Infinity War storyline in 2018.

Neither Marvel or Sony have commented on the matter. Meanwhile, news site Badass Digest - while Avi Arad [http://badassdigest.com/2015/01/14/spider-man-may-return-home-for-avengers-infinity-war-part-i/] and current Marvel headman Kevin Feige.

Source: Latino Review [http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvelous-da7e-78-the-fates-of-cap-thor-and-spidey]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Is it just me or doe anyone else find it odd that one person can retained the movie rights of something like Spider-man in this day and age? Are the rights just for Spider-man or the whole Spider-man universe. And who thought that giving those kinds of rights to 1 person was a good idea. If he does single handily have the movie rights to the whole Spider-man universe than I would love to see the contract and call shenanigans on whole thing as this feels like some under handed deal he pulled on his way out the door at Marvel. Of course the reason I even bring this up is because everyone for the past few years have said that Sony Corp. has the movie rights to the Spider-man universe.

Can anyone else clarify this?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
What's with the Escapist posting so many already proved false rumors today?

First the Samsung buying Blackberry and now Spiderman joining the Avengers.

Is there really that little real news that your writers are getting desperate for clicks?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Dandres said:
Is it just me or doe anyone else find it odd that one person can retained the movie rights of something like Spider-man in this day and age? Are the rights just for Spider-man or the whole Spider-man universe. And who thought that giving those kinds of rights to 1 person was a good idea. If he does single handily have the movie rights to the whole Spider-man universe than I would love to see the contract and call shenanigans on whole thing as this feels like some under handed deal he pulled on his way out the door at Marvel. Of course the reason I even bring this up is because everyone for the past few years have said that Sony Corp. has the movie rights to the Spider-man universe.

First thing to be corrected is that there is no "Spider-man universe". He and everyone else all exist in the Marvel universe. The liscence covers Spidey himself and characters related to him based on which issue they made thier debut in. If they started in a Spidey issue, then best to assume that Sony has rights to them for movies.

And typically liscence rights are held by the company, not the person.

And i doubt there was any underhandedness to the liscencing out of Marvel characters to Fox and Sony, they were done before Disney bought Marvel and Marvel needed the money to not go bankrupt and risk losing everything anyway.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I refuse to board this hype train, I've been burned to many times before.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
gigastar said:
Dandres said:

First thing to be corrected is that there is no "Spider-man universe". He and everyone else all exist in the Marvel universe. The license covers Spidey himself and characters related to him based on which issue they made thier debut in. If they started in a Spidey issue, then best to assume that Sony has rights to them for movies.

And typically license rights are held by the company, not the person.

And i doubt there was any underhandedness to the licensing out of Marvel characters to Fox and Sony, they were done before Disney bought Marvel and Marvel needed the money to not go bankrupt and risk losing everything anyway.
I know there is no "Spider-man universe" I was just to lazy to type out what you typed.

I also know that typically license rights are held by the company, not the person. I am just trying to figure out why the Escapist or in this case just Movie Bob from I have read is saying Avi Arad owns the Spider-man movie right and not Sony.

The underhandedness I was referring to was not with Sony or Fox but with Avi Arad, if he does own the Spider-man movie rights, then shenanigans.

Because if Sony owns the rights then this part of the articular makes no sense and would not be and issue. Good by Avi Arad and hello new guy.

MovieBob said:
and that any deal would have to navigate the famously bad blood between Spider-Man producer (and former Marvel boss) Avi Arad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139044-Amazing-Spider-Man-Avi-Arad-Pursuing-Nintendo-Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-Rights-For-Sony-Pictures] and current Marvel headman Kevin Feige.

MoonWhispers

Nov 10, 2003
Marvel was in desperate straights in the 90s, to the point that they almost shut down. To prevent that, they sold a lot of their characters movie rights away and got a bum deal on a lot of them because, as I said, they were desperate (they have since gotten several back due to their movies flopping). Eventually, they were able to renegotiate with Sony, Sony still has the rights for movies, but not merchandising. Sony is the desperate one now, as they really need a hit, and their recent Spider Man movies have barely turned a profit, while Marvel's movies rake in the cash. As for Avi Arad, he's a big man at Sony, and is in charge of the Spider Man franchise, so he'd have some say about deals with Marvel. A lot of reports suggest (if true) he has a uncompromising attitude towards his former employers at Marvel.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
P-89 Scorpion said:
Bob loves these. He never misses a chance to have a laugh at not-Marvel, even if what he's saying is very, VERY reiterative or simply untrue (we get it Bob, you don't like the new Spider-Man, no need to make up stuff like this).

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Bob loves these. He never misses a chance to have a laugh at not-Marvel, even if what he's saying is very, VERY reiterative or simply untrue (we get it Bob, you don't like the new Spider-Man, no need to make up stuff like this).
I guess bob figures if he karate chops the Tree long enough and hard enough it will eventually fall down.

Master Taffer

Aug 4, 2010
Darks63 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
I guess bob figures if he karate chops the Tree long enough and hard enough it will eventually fall down.
Apparently Bob thinks he's Karnak.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Never happen. Thing is Marvel doesnt need to have Spidey in their movies, where as having spidey in Avengers will benefit Sony greatly - or atleast it will be an awesome advert to get people into their next spidey movie. So Marvel can afford to be unreasonable in discussions.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Rumor:
Elvis Presley seen with Abraham Lincoln in Vladimir Putin's summer house.
Read all about it!!!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
MovieBob said:
Now, reliable gossip-meisters Latino Review have a spoiler-filled report that claims to know the near-future plans for the Marvel Cinematic Universe... plans that include the arrival of Spider-Man (almost-certainly meaning a new version played by neither Andrew Garfield onr Tobey Maguire) to the continuity of The Avengers.
Why are you still reporting on that site? Aren't they same that said that Sony was planning an Aunt May movie? How reliable can they be after "news" like that?

If you want to post April's fools levels of gossip, be my guess, but don't expect to be taken seriously in the future...

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Sigh.

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I really don't want Spiderman to be part of what Marvel Studios has been doing. At this point, it seems that people want Spider Man to be back in Marvels hands as a middle finger to anyone invested in Amazing Spiderman. The fact that the internet has gotten so out of hand in demanding this has also just made me not care. I liked the Raimey Trilogy from what I remember, and I didn't think ASM1 was bad, I liked it actually. Maybe it's because I'm not invested in the comics, but I don't see any significant reason why Spiderman needs to be part of all the current MCU stuff.

For me, if and when Spiderman gets back to Marvel Studios, I dread the day as there are going to be lots of people being really annoying about it. I also feel that the movie will be lackluster, but people will praise it only because Marvel Studios did it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
MovieBob said:
I just can imagine MovieBob's reaction:

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
The Escapist is becoming the cesspool of shitty journalism. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO REPORT SHITTY RUMORS!
Latino review is the source on this, I think we can give it some merit.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Just once I would like to click on one of Bob's 'news' articles without having to open 10 windows to tangentially related articles he himself has written as context. That is pretty tacky.