Rumor: Spike's Hidden Zombie Teaser is For Resident Evil

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Spike's Hidden Zombie Teaser is For Resident Evil

So does this mean that the Spike TV Video Game Awards coming up on December 11 are going to reveal something Resident Evil related, or is this just re-purposed zombie imagery? Only Capcom and Spike TV know for sure, but there are two possible projects that could be unveiled.

In September, Capcom said that news on Resident Evil 6 was earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103216-Resident-Evil-6-News-Coming-Soon-Say-Capcom] about a Slant Six-developed Resident Evil multiplayer title. These two possibilities make it more likely that the image is a Resident Evil hint, but we won't find out until the Video Game Awards air in two weeks.

Source: Gamerzines [http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/news/zombie-teaser-resident-evil.html]

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Tracing saves the artistic world again!

Oh, okay, yeah, there's a next Resident Evil, that's pretty cool. Not that I've played any of them before.

I'd much rather it would be a new L4D or even a new L4D comic... but, hell, that's good, too.

CpnChaos

Sep 20, 2010
No, I don't think so. The ad seems too cheesy, and doesn't jive with the tone set in RE 4 and 5. Unless they are planning a reboot, I think they just re-used the same shape for something else.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
It looks like a smoker, on the far right, to me. Thats either a weird arm, or a tongue.

My vote is for L4D, but thats just me

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
wtf? no.

there are no more zombies after Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles and that was a spin-off.

Resident Evil Zero is the last game in the main series to feature zombies. Anyways the merchant looks doggy.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
That similarity is too glaring to ignore. Still, that teaser image doesn't really scream "Resident Evil 6".

A Resident Evil spinoff, perhaps? They could be going out on a limb and doing something like the modern iterations of the Fallout series. I'm not really sure if a Resident Evil RPG would be awesome or pathetic.

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
Timbydude said:
That similarity is too glaring to ignore. Still, that teaser image doesn't really scream "Resident Evil 6".

A Resident Evil spinoff, perhaps?
My thoughts were along the same lines. RE advertising tends to lean towards a "realistic" end of the spectrum (Though saying that makes me laugh because RE lost all semblence of realism long ago. I still love them though :p )

If it were a spin-off, and the multiplayer aspects were true, my first thought was as an MMO, which I can't imagine working.

Maybe... would Capcom start doing episodic gaming (Like the Half-Life series), or maybe its a downloadable game? (PSN/XBLA)

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
That shirt is SO not official Capcom-assets-only merchandise; look at the rest of the things in the store. I put together a custom Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition [http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12493/twilight-imperium-third-edition] shirt for a boardgaming friend of mine, doesn't make me an official source of Fantasy Flight Gaming merchandise.

(Looks down at custom "resurrectionist [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body-snatching]" shirt.) And I'd also like to state I'm not representative of people who dig up fresh bodies and sell them to medical schools. Thank you.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
Josdeb said:
If it were a spin-off, and the multiplayer aspects were true, my first thought was as an MMO, which I can't imagine working.
I don't know the multiplayer thing might work. Resident evil's online multiplayer games weren't too bad. Just as long as you didn't get a stupid or asshole team. If they did try to make a similar game they should keep the system where if you die you'll become a zombie. Except make it so that if you actually get someone in your team you'll mutate into something worse. Now that would be fun.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I could see a Zombie MMORPG working. I tried Fallen Earth briefly, and if they found a way to make the undead bestiary big enough it could be interesting.

That said I'm going to laugh if their big Annoucement is going to be that the new Resident Evil will feature actual Zombies again. :p

As far as them going Multi-Player that is kind of groan worthy to me. It seems like them trying to cash in on the success of "Left 4 Dead", which wouldn't be a horrible thing if they hadn't already tried Multiplayer Resident Evil games, and they were somewhat lacking (at least to me).

The point of Resident Evil to me was to that it combined adventure game aspects and things like inventory management with the action aspects. Even in the shoot-fests of the last couple of games these elements remained to some extent, and truthfully that doesn't seem to translate very well to multi-player.

Ultimatly it seems to me that their "big annoucement" is going to probably be a L4D clone, with Resident Evil franchise symbols like the Umbrella Corperation Logo thrown up here and there to set it in their universe.

We shall see what happens though.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
It seems as if this may be a teaser for resident evil portable... FINALLY! Lets just hope that it is because all outbreak fans have been dying for a file three.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
CpnChaos said:
No, I don't think so. The ad seems too cheesy, and doesn't jive with the tone set in RE 4 and 5. Unless they are planning a reboot, I think they just re-used the same shape for something else.
They already planned for a reboot this that horrifyingly bad resident evil 5 came out that made me want to strange my own mother with fibre wire but on a serious note resident evil originally was about horror. So this could bring it back.. I hope.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Please for the love of god no. We do not need another RE to muddle everything up. We just resolved everything dammit!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
For the love of all that's holy, please kill this franchise already. It's been nothing but a freight train of shit disguised in flimsy glittery fabrics and googly eyes.