Rumor: StarCraft II Closed Beta FAQ Leaked?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: StarCraft II Closed Beta FAQ Leaked?

With the release of the anticipated StarCraft II [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964580&sr=1-1] multiplayer beta just around the corner, a FAQ has made its way onto the internet to let would-be testers know just what's up.

Last week, we learned that the long-awaited StarCraft II closed beta test was finally due to start this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98220-StarCraft-II-Beta-Will-Start-This-Month] after almost a year of delays. Despite Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime's word, though, many fans were skeptical that the beta would ever see the light of day. Well, with every bit of information it seems that much more real - and a ton of information just hit the internet in the form of a leaked StarCraft II beta FAQ.

The FAQ was initially obtained by word for word on the forums [http://www.starcraft-source.com/article/news/view/?id=446].

So, assuming this is true - and despite the evidence, it could always not be true - what will the beta bring? Let's look at a few of the answers below:

[blockquote]How do I sign up for the StarCraft II beta test?

In order to sign up for the StarCraft II beta test or future Blizzard Entertainment beta tests, you first need to create a Battle.net account. You can then opt in to the beta for StarCraft II, as well as betas for future Blizzard Entertainment games, through the beta opt-in process. To get started, simply click Beta Profile Settings in Battle.net Account Management. Please note that opting in to a beta test through this method does not guarantee that you will be selected.

If I opted in to the StarCraft II beta, how will I know if I've been selected to participate?

If you are selected, you will receive an email from Blizzard instructing you to log in to your Battle.net account at www.battle.net. You will be able to download the client directly from within Battle.net Account Management. We plan on inviting players in waves, so if you do not receive an invitation in the beginning of the testing period, there's a chance you might receive one in a later wave.

What game modes are available in the StarCraft II beta?

StarCraft II beta testers will be able to play a number of ranked multiplayer modes, include multiplayer ladder quick match, which has 1v1, 2v2, and free-for-all (FFA) modes. In addition, testers will be able to play unranked custom matches. We are not testing the single-player campaign of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty during the beta period.

What is the difference between a Real ID friend and StarCraft II friend?

Real ID friends on Battle.net can see each other's full profiles, including real-life names, real-life profile information, and all of their characters across all Battle.net games. Both players must mutually agree to become real-life friends before either will appear on the other's real-life friends list.

To add a StarCraft II friend, simply enter a player's character name. You will immediately start seeing that character in your friends list, but you will not be able to access real-life names, real-life profile information, or any other characters he or she might play. Other players are not notified if you add their characters to your friends list in this fashion.

I just destroyed my opponent! How do I watch my game's replay?

After logging in to Battle.net, click the small video-camera-shaped button in the top-left corner of the screen. This will allow you to access

What Battle.net features are you testing during the StarCraft II beta test?

While testers will be able to experience much of the functionality of the new Battle.net, certain features, such as the ability to communicate with World of Warcraft players through the Real ID feature will not be available at the start of the beta. Battle.net features and functionality will be added and enhanced as the beta progresses, right up through the retail launch of StarCraft II and beyond.

Will there be a Mac version of the beta client?

We plan to release a Mac version of the beta client at some point during the beta test period. We'll have further details to share as the beta test progresses.[/blockquote]

The full FAQ is, again, over at StarCraft Source [http://www.starcraft-source.com/article/news/view/?id=446].

If all of these features like ladders and voice chat are in the StarCraft II / Battle.net 2.0 beta at launch, then it's one hell of a beefy beta test - which would partially explain the long development time.

It can't be much longer now. Rest assured, Escaparinos, when your faithful Escapist staff members get into the beta, we'll be sure to tell you all about how awesome it is, and how much you're missing out on not playing it.

Well, I sure as hell will, anyway.

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/02/16/starcraft-2-beta-testing-faq-leaked/])

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Korten12 said:
Tried to sign up for the beta but I need a full blizzard game. :(
Go pick up a copy of StarCraft.
It's an awesome game, and you can probably find one for about $5

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Berethond said:
Korten12 said:
might do. do u know if blizzard sells it digitaly?

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
There's no such thing as "Leaked" any more.

All the "Leaked" stuff is, is just hype inducing news.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Korten12 said:
Berethond said:
Korten12 said:
might do. do u know if blizzard sells it digitaly?
They might, it would be worth looking into.

You can find copies of it most everywhere still, though. Like CostCo.

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
I will only believe their beta testing when 1) I get an invite, 2) they say "hey we're doing beta testing" or 3) have someone I know get into the beta testing and they can prove it. LoL Remember, screenshots or it doesn't happen.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
They do

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:1,c:7

Is where you need to go.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
Oh shit, it's only for multiplayer, I'm gonna be crushed if I get to participate...
It's a beta test, as if anyone cares :p

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Amnestic said:
Oh shit, it's only for multiplayer, I'm gonna be crushed if I get to participate...
It's a beta test, as if anyone cares :p
Well, getting crushed every time, as I probably will be, kinda grates after a while. OT: Very neat. I can't wait to try it, although this FAQ didn't really answer much I hadn't already guessed.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I got an E-Mail claiming to be about the Starcraft 2 Beta, looked legit and everything, but my phishing alarms went off and I deleted the thing- figured there would've been news if they were goin out.

Gongon

Sep 8, 2009
Or, you could go read the beta faq here:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23094049320&sid=5000

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
What he said. I could always let you use my Guide Book jokes

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
On one hand, it's multiplayer only, and that means I'll get crushed.

On the other hand, it's Starcraft II!

The ability to communicate with RL friends in WoW? Sweet! Hope that gets finalized.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I wish the the ladder was going to be official for the beta, I want to get a head start.