Rumor: Telltale Working on Game Of Thrones Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rumor: Telltale Working on Game Of Thrones Game

Indie adventure studio Telltale Games is reportedly working on a new game based on George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones.

Telltale Games, the studio behind The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us and many other titles, is reportedly working on a new project based on Game of Thrones. Multple sources have told IGN that development of the game is underway, although it's unclear at this point whether it will be based on the hit television series, the novels in the Song of Ice and Fire series, or something new set in Martin's dark fantasy world.

Steve Allison, Telltale's senior vice president of publishing, declined to comment on the rumor, telling IGN, "We get these sorts of rumors about what we could be working on next cropping up all the time. Officially we have no comment."

Unofficially, however, it does seem to be a good fit for the studio. Telltale is known for making adventures based on licensed properties and it's had particular success with The Walking Dead, an episodic adventure series released in 2012. Despite the popularity of the television series, Telltale's Walking Dead is based on Robert Kirkman's comic series but uses primarily original characters.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/telltale-is-developing-a-game-of-thrones-game?abthid=528e88d37372424d2c00003d]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
That... that could totally work.

I'm not as crazy about GoT as some, but I'd sure as hell give this a look.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Press X to shag your sibling

Anyway, while I'd be perfectly fine with Telltale writing it, my perfect idea would have someone else working on the gameplay. I'd like it to be a bit more visceral, considering the subject. Platinum would be my first shout (as it usually is)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I am confused as to how this would function.

When, where, who and what are the key questions here because if it is just an interactive TV show, then fuck it.

TWD was good because it evolved upon a given source material, source material which changed perspectives frequently.

GoT is to grand and too comprehensive to allow for wiggle-room, unless we are talking about the free cities, but those aren't that interesting to discuss, aside from maybe the culture surrounding them.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
I could see this working if it was an original story, about original characters, with a few nods to the main series thrown in (much like The Walking Dead).
I wonder where it would be set...

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Anyway, while I'd be perfectly fine with Telltale writing it, my perfect idea would have someone else working on the gameplay. I'd like it to be a bit more visceral, considering the subject. Platinum would be my first shout (as it usually is)
College Humour already covered that bit:

(CAUTION, SPOILERS UP TO END OF SEASON 1)

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
This... makes sense.

Maybe TellTale can get me interested in GoT like they did with Walking Dead/Fables.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hopefully this works out unlike the other games. The RTS was mediocre and the RPG just plain SUCKED. Which is a shame, because both of those were sound in concept but in execution they were just awful. An adventure game does seem like a better fit due to the series' nature, but we'll still have to wait and see how this pans out.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Geez, unless they use a mostly original cast of characters, that could be an expensive proposition, appropriating actors from the show and whatnot. Unless of course, they adapt from the books.... :)

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
"Bran will remember that"

OT, I really hope this is true. I love Game of Thrones and I love Telltale's Walking Dead more than any other Walking Dead-related property (including the comics), so I would love to see them tackle GoT. I'm guessing they'd do original characters and stories (so that player choice remains flexible), but who knows? I've got my fingers crossed for greatness.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Their style of 'gameplay' would go great with the political intrigue part of the series, but I'm not so sure about the battles.

And of course, will there be nudity?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I think this would work really well if they took some back history stuff and fleshed it out. The Dance of the Dragons or the Blackfyre Rebellion, or even some of the adventures of Dunk and Egg would be fantastic.

I hope this turns out to be true!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Base it on the books, it will give a chance for those who haven't read them (not me, I have. I encourage you to), to experience the full range of events. But considering the content of the books, it would not surprise me if they had to bump everyone's age up a few years like they did in the t.v series.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
1. I hope this is true.

2. I hope we get to play as Tyrion... at least part of the time.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Genocidicles said:
Their style of 'gameplay' would go great with the political intrigue part of the series, but I'm not so sure about the battles.

And of course, will there be nudity?

Amateurs.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

I haven't played many Platinum games, but from what I've seen, I don't think they'd be a good studio for it. Not that they're bad, just that, well, I think Telltale gameplay would fit much better than Platinum for a GoT game. It'd be like getting Square to develop the gameplay for a Ratchet and Clank game. It just doesn't seem like it would fit. I think either Bethesda or maybe Bioware would work well for the gameplay aspect(as long as Bioware went with a more Dragon Age Origins or Baldur's Gate gameplay). But that's just me.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Telltale makes really cool fight scenes, I'm really interested to see what they can do with swords and spears. The whole choice thing would work really well in political situations as well.

Really looking forward to see where this goes.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I could only imagine seeing this in just cell shade graphics and point to click, but that's just my thoughts.

I don't really know if there's any other studio out there that could make the game that would be accepted by many.