Rumor: Terminator Franchise Could Get a Star Trek-Style Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Terminator Franchise Could Get a Star Trek-Style Reboot

The new Terminator movie could be stealing your clothes all over again.

After four movies, the Terminator franchise is in an interesting shape, and it's not one that some people really like. The upcoming fifth movie may sidestep this problem though, as Hollywood insiders are suggesting that it might go back to the beginning and reset everything.

According to the rumors, the new Terminator movie will have some kind of temporal tomfoolery that results in an alternate timeline, not unlike JJ Abrams' Star Trek reboot. Just as with the Star Trek movie, this reset would allow the filmmakers to go back and tell a new version of the original Terminator story with new actors, and in the process, neatly avoid the tangle of continuity. The same rumor mill suggests that Paul Walker, of Fast and Furious 5 fame, is in the running to be the new Kyle Reese.

There is a small problem, however, and that's a certain former Californian governor's recently revealed indiscretions. The news that Arnold Schwarzenegger had secret lovechild caused him to put his movie comeback on hold, but insiders say that the new rights owner, Megan Ellison, is eager to get the movie up and running. What may happens is that the creative team will cut the amount of screen time Schwarzenegger has in the movie, in the hope that it will be easier to convince him to film it this year.

It's not hard to see why Ellison would want Schwarzenegger on board for the movie - his name is pretty much synonymous with the Terminator franchise - but it's a shame in some ways that the new cast doesn't extend to every character. Schwarzenegger was great in the first two movies, but it would be interesting to see a new actor put a different spin on the cybernetic killing machine.

Source: What's Playing [http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2011/06/hollywood-insider-terminator-reboot-would-take-its-cue-from-jj-abrams-star-trek/] via Collider [http://collider.com/terminator-reboot-rumors-paul-walker/94973/]

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Oh great, another classic series that Hollywood is going to sh*t all over in its quest for easy money.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Terminator 1 and 2 don't need a reboot, they already have better effects, more exciting action, and stronger storytelling than 99% of action films in the last decade. This is getting ridiculous, what's next? How about a reboot of Casablanca? Have Rick played by Shia Labouf and add in a gratuitous CGI car chase with the Nazis.

SpireOfFire

Dec 4, 2009
UberMore said:
Jason Statham is: The Terminator.
please tell me your joking.

lets see: this franchises' first two movies where two of the greatest movies of all time. yes, james camron did a wonderful job making those movies. what? theres some fuckhead out there who thinks they can do better than two of the greatest movies of all time? theres more dumbasses in hollywood who are so strapped for ideas they continue to borrow from somebody elses work?

yes, this is the end of times.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I want a sequel to Salvation...not a reboot of the first.

I hope they don;t fuck it up -.-

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is terrible.. How can anyone even consider this? Somebody shoot them!

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
SpireOfFire said:
UberMore said:
Jason Statham is: The Terminator.
please tell me your joking.

lets see: this franchises' first two movies where two of the greatest movies of all time. yes, james camron did a wonderful job making those movies. what? theres some fuckhead out there who thinks they can do better than two of the greatest movies of all time? theres more dumbasses in hollywood who are so strapped for ideas they continue to borrow from somebody elses work?

yes, this is the end of times.
Please, if you ever quote me again, DO NOT include me in your angry rant. It makes it look like your pointing that rage at me, and I would rather not argue with someone before I go to work.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Hollywood: Fuck Originality We Can Rebuild It

I like how Schwarzenegger is evil because he cheated...but no one looks into the fact he was helping pay for that child....(personal rant)

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
arc1991 said:
I want a sequel to Salvation...not a reboot of the first.

I hope they don;t fuck it up -.-
This would be nice to see.
Continue the franchise to it's logical conclusion (the war), not reboot and start again because you don't know how to finish the story.

Ah, I also hope they don't fuck up, they've got a big plate to step up to, and few pull it off well.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:
Terminator 1 and 2 don't need a reboot, they already have better effects, more exciting action, and stronger storytelling than 99% of action films in the last decade. This is getting ridiculous, what's next? How about a reboot of Casablanca? Have Rick played by Shia Labouf and add in a gratuitous CGI car chase with the Nazis.
This, however terrible it would be, would be worth seeing.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'd rather see a continuation of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I gave up on the films after seeing T3.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Better Sara Conner than John Connor, but I'd rather see a fresh movie set around the same time - perhaps when Arnold was sent back to take care of Sara another terminator was sent back to take care of someone else.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
So instead of making a godawful no.5, they are going to make a godawful remake of the first one.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The problem with this franchise is that T3 was pretty much a remake of T2. And Salvation was pretty much boring. They both suffered from bad writing/directing. It's too bad. Salvation had some great acting in it, that was completely muted by bad story telling. And the inclusion of stupid new terminators as well. Yay motorcycle Terminators!

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
I always wondered how Terminator would look like with shaky cam, EVERYTHING computer animated and more gratuitous gore. Thanks Hollywood! Oh, and please let Michael Bay direct it.
They are going to remove the brooding, oppressive nature of the first one, arn't they?
Why don't they just continue the story from the last one? That showed some promise (a little, little bit of). A world of dominant and calculating machines vs. guerilla fighting refugees. There is so much potential. Why not continue in that direction? That would be so much more interesting and original.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Why? Just why?

Why reboot some of the best movies of all time that were made by one of the best directors, not just in the Sci-Fi genre, but working today? James Cameron should just tell them to stop. I'm pretty sure he has enough clout to pull it off. Honestly, I'd like to see Cameron helm another Terminator movie if they are going to do anything.

And honestly, I liked Salvation. They should just continue on with that. Or not at all.

FattyMcGee

Aug 13, 2008
Mantonio said:
Oh great, another classic series that Hollywood is going to sh*t all over in its quest for easy money.
technically, since the terminator is about time travel and what not, not sure if they are "sh*t"ing on it, so much as just saying, oh well, instead of what originally happened, they just time traveled again and it changed a little.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Oh, God. At this stage the only logical conclusion to this series is to make a short movie where Skynet absolutely obliterates the resistance to the last man, thereby making it impossible to make any more Terminator movies. Seriously, Terminator Salvation was the first and only movie I can remember seeing that I actually fell asleep in the middle of. I've seen Syfy stuff that held my attention better.