Rumor: Terminator Franchise Could Get a Star Trek-Style Reboot

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"The same rumor mill suggests that Paul Walker, of Fast and Furious 5 fame, is in the running to be the new Kyle Reese."

You say "fame", I say, "fame?".

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Gordon_4 said:
He's a total bastard, but a talented one. On one hand, some acknowledgements to writers like Ellison for inspiring the idea would be nice, on the other, how successful are Harlen Ellison's application of the idea compared to Cameron's?
I just posted this two seconds ago, but I have to say it again: Harlen Ellison is acknowledged in the credits for Terminator. It's not like Cameron unceremoniously ripped him off and claimed the idea was his own, he did credit the man, very openly.
He did credit him, but he DID also unceremoniously rip him off, and the only reason he ended up crediting Ellison on further releases was because Ellison had proof that Cameron had ripped him off and they settled out of court. It's all here in this interview with Ellison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyyJ3D3g1E

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Ensiferum said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Gordon_4 said:
He's a total bastard, but a talented one. On one hand, some acknowledgements to writers like Ellison for inspiring the idea would be nice, on the other, how successful are Harlen Ellison's application of the idea compared to Cameron's?
I just posted this two seconds ago, but I have to say it again: Harlen Ellison is acknowledged in the credits for Terminator. It's not like Cameron unceremoniously ripped him off and claimed the idea was his own, he did credit the man, very openly.
He did credit him, but he DID also unceremoniously rip him off, and the only reason he ended up crediting Ellison on further releases was because Ellison had proof that Cameron had ripped him off and they settled out of court. It's all here in this interview with Ellison:

Yeah, got it from the other guy. My mistake.

*grabs a spear primed for Cameron's head*

FattyMcGee

Aug 13, 2008
[/quote]

technically, since the terminator is about time travel and what not, not sure if they are "sh*t"ing on it, so much as just saying, oh well, instead of what originally happened, they just time traveled again and it changed a little.[/quote]

But the Terminator movies should have ended after the second one. It had a good conclusion about the future being capable of being changed, and the man who made Skynet destroys his work and then himself to stop it happening.

Then the third and fourth movies take a dump all over that message, by going 'No, actually, the future can't change' and coming up with increasingly convoluted time travel excuses to keep making the movies.

And now they're just rebooting the whole thing. Because they're creatively bankrupt.[/quote]

i have to disagree, reboots arn't always a bad thing. Look at the star trek reboot, or batman begins/the dark knight. It could be just what is needed for the franchise to grow again, too early to bash it, give it time to develop, as long as uwe bole and Micheal Bay stay away from it, i say give it a chance!

I mean really, they still casting, haven't started shooting, too early to assume it will suck.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Ensiferum said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Gordon_4 said:

Yeah, got it from the other guy. My mistake.

*grabs a spear primed for Cameron's head*
Ahh no problem, sorry for the redundancy.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Oh, wow. Paul Walker? I think I just threw up in my mind a little.
Do we have another writers' strike going on or something? Or is it just remake season? Between this, Fright Night, and Teen Wolf, I feel like I've become unstuck in time, except everything looks crappier than I remember.
Besides, if any incarnation of Terminator could use a remake, it's Bethesda's old first-person sandbox game.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Salvation would have been better recieved i think if the trailer didn't give the whole plot away.

smegmar

Apr 20, 2009
it's true that the last 2 movies should never have been made, and everyone responsible for production should have been burned in a pyre, but Rebooting from number 1 is a huge mistake. No one will take it seriously, any actor other then Schwarz~ just won't fit, and I mean the Arnold from 20 years ago. Now he's just an aging weird over sexed senator.

Maybe a reboot starting at the third would be good, they did need to fix up some time travel continuity issues, like the whole war and terminators being made if there was no cyberdyne. But hell no one will listen to me and they'll have their reboot, that will be shite, and somehow it will still make money.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Mantonio said:
FattyMcGee said:
Mantonio said:
Oh great, another classic series that Hollywood is going to sh*t all over in its quest for easy money.
technically, since the terminator is about time travel and what not, not sure if they are "sh*t"ing on it, so much as just saying, oh well, instead of what originally happened, they just time traveled again and it changed a little.
But the Terminator movies should have ended after the second one. It had a good conclusion about the future being capable of being changed, and the man who made Skynet destroys his work and then himself to stop it happening.

Then the third and fourth movies take a dump all over that message, by going 'No, actually, the future can't change' and coming up with increasingly convoluted time travel excuses to keep making the movies.

And now they're just rebooting the whole thing. Because they're creatively bankrupt.
True, that is the message the first movie sent. Though, the war had to happen, simply because John Connor was born, or it all should have disappeared at the end of T2 with her working at that diner in the 80's and not hearing about Sarah Connor's death. Reason being is because Reese was sent back in a time machine created by the machines. No machines = no time machine = no Reese being sent back to impregnate Sarah = No John. So since John was born, the war happened. How crappy would that make you feel. "Because I was born, 90% of human life will die."

T3 wan't a terrible movie, it just wasn't T2.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
well atleast the whole time thing might work in a terminator movie they have being trying to alter the time line in every single movie maybe its about time it worked.

but ya keep the old Schwarzenegger out of the movie he's too old to be a terminator.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I'm not going to immediately assume that this is going to suck until I see confirmed names for writer, director, and producer. The source material actually provides a ton of flexibility for this sort of 'twist', so it's not immediate a 'WTF?' moment like the Star Trek reboot caused (at least for me).

As for how they justified T3 and Salvation, in the books (which weren't bad at all) they explain that the time-stream is like a river, and while there could be subtle changes, rather than being able to change major events in history, Time has a tendency to return to the 'original path'. The example used was Hitler and the Holocaust: even if someone went back in time to assassinate Hitler, some other crazy asshole would've caused the rise of Nazi Germany and the subsequent horrific events.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Has the story even been finished? What happened to 'destroy the evil computer and then save man-kind' part?

they should AT LEAST focus on that before they decide to take a giant crap in the river

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Erm, wasn't T4 a reboot? So it would seems that we have gone back to the same old story by re-booting the reboot.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Logan Westbrook said:
The same rumor mill suggests that Paul Walker, of Fast and Furious 5 fame, is in the running to be the new Kyle Reese.

What may happens is that the creative team will cut the amount of screen time Schwarzenegger has in the movie, in the hope that it will be easier to convince him to film it this year.
Yeah that sounds like an awesome Terminator movie. Paul Walker and very little Arnold. Just make this. Just do it and shit on a great series.

CrazT

Sep 19, 2009
Remake "The Terminator"...in the same vein as the "Star Trek" reboot?!

Aha, no. Here's a better idea: remake "Salvation", but have a Terminator kill John Connor and adopt his identity. The franchise will be better for it!!!!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I actually don't mind this. Terminator Salvation was just so "eehhhh..." the whole way through. It just felt like the story was going to go no where. A reboot maybe in order, so we can get a Terminator film that is actually about the TERMINATORS.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
JediMB said:
I'd rather see a continuation of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
Ending it on such a massive cliffhanger is tantamount to crimes against humanity in my book.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Star Trek-style reboot?

So the terminator will be so shiny he'll cast retina-searing lens flares. And it'll be played by Zac Efron. He already looks like he had artificial skin grafted to him, so its a good match.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, they're going to make the new Terminator like the new Star Trek.
Does that mean they're going to dumb it down, strip away all the things that made it the Terminator and insult/alienate all the original fans at every turn in a desperate attempt to attract the "cool" people? Because 1) Terminator doesn't really have a whole lot to dumb down and 2) the "cool" people already make up at least 60% of Terminator's fanbase.